The Student Room Group

The most fiesty and passionate local derby

As we have a fiery Birmingham derby coming up Sunday I thought I would do a derby day special thread. On the subject on Villa and Birmingham we have plenty other derby games. Like we have Liverpool and Everton, Liverpool and Man United, Tyne/Wear, Arsenal/ Tottenham, Manchester derby, Sheff Wed/Sheff United, Celtic/Rangers. Not forgetting abroad also with Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Anyway so which in your opinion is the most fiery and passionate derby?

Have you ever been to a derby game? What was the experience like?
Was there any flash points or trouble?
Reply 1
Wish I went to a derby game. It would be sooo good - the atmosphere, fights (there was crowd troyble the other day at the Olympic stadium - West Ham vs Chelsea)

Best game would be West Ham vs Millwall, right?
Boca v River in Argentina is probably the most passionate. Unfortunately only seen it on TV.

Been to a few Dublin derbies in the League of Ireland - it's tense, electric, and loud. The lack of luxuries at the stadiums actually add to the occasion.

Would love to go to a Manchester derby, but impossible to get tickets at a reasonable price.
Original post by Kevmeister
Boca v River in Argentina is probably the most passionate. Unfortunately only seen it on TV.

Been to a few Dublin derbies in the League of Ireland - it's tense, electric, and loud. The lack of luxuries at the stadiums actually add to the occasion.

Would love to go to a Manchester derby, but impossible to get tickets at a reasonable price.

Oh ****, it's ****ing Kevmeister.

Thoughts on Mourinho and Pogba.
Original post by Kevmeister

Haven't seen you post on here in many years. What's brought you back?

I'd love to go to an Old Firm game one day. Done all of our main rivals (City, Liverpool & Leeds).
Probably the eternal derby in Serbia between FK Partizan and Red Star Belgrade.

They take their football seriously there :tongue:

Good documentary about this:

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/the-eternal-derby/57165d4ed6c60eda563f1e9e
For England, Norwich v Ipswich. Never known two sets of fans to despise each other as much as they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Red Star Belgrade vs Partizan Belgrade
Olympiakos vs Panathinaikos
Galatasaray vs Fenerbahce
Celtic vs Rangers
Boca Juniors vs River Plate
Roma vs Lazio or Samp vs Genoa (Milan and Inter dont really hate each other that much) in Italy
but the bigges tderby is Fenerbahçe vs Galatasaray!!
Boca vs River on the world stage probably, in terms of passiona and trouble at the games. But it gets to a point where you just name vicious rivalries involving no mark clubs in countries where nobody gives a **** about the league e.g. Turkey, Eastern Europe etc.

The biggest game while still maintaining relevance is Celtic vs Rangers, I think.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Boca vs River on the world stage probably, in terms of passiona and trouble at the games. But it gets to a point where you just name vicious rivalries involving no mark clubs in countries where nobody gives a **** about the league e.g. Turkey, Eastern Europe etc.

The biggest game while still maintaining relevance is Celtic vs Rangers, I think.

Really? I think Roma v lazio gets that title
Original post by LifeIsFine
Really? I think Roma v lazio gets that title

I don't think the match is as big. What are the viewing figures for each fixture?
I don't think the match is as big. What are the viewing figures for each fixture?

feistiness and passion is not measured by viewing figures though :tongue:
Original post by wolfmoon88
feistiness and passion is not measured by viewing figures though :tongue:

"I don't think the match is as big", between the Rome derby and OF, the latter would have more people watching it. I'm considering everything really, MU vs Liverpool would attract a bigger audience than the OF but that game is dead, same with the Merseyside derby imo.

If we just consider trouble then as I said probably Boca vs River. They banned away fans because of it recently and CONMEBOL lost a place in the 2018 World Cup after players got attacked with gas if I remember correctly. Shootings at the games too.
"I don't think the match is as big", between the Rome derby and OF, the latter would have more people watching it. I'm considering everything really, MU vs Liverpool would attract a bigger audience than the OF but that game is dead, same with the Merseyside derby imo.

If we just consider trouble then as I said probably Boca vs River. They banned away fans because of it recently and CONMEBOL lost a place in the 2018 World Cup after players got attacked with gas if I remember correctly. Shootings at the games too.

Agreed about the Merseyside derby. I see your point about the Rome derby. Yeah Boca vs. River is insane.

Quick Reply

Latest