The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Entrance Exams

Hi everyone.
I'm totally new to TheStudentRoom and really need you guys' help!
So I'm in year 11 now, doing my GCSEs, and am applying to loads of sixth forms (coz I really want to leave mine lol). I have loads of entrance exams coming up and wanted to get you guys's help and advice on what they are gonna be like (if you have already done them) or how your preparing (if you are about to do them).
The schools for which I will be sitting an exam soon are:
St Paul's Girls' School
King's College Wimbledon
City of London School for Girls
Harris Westminster
Tiffin Girls'
I would really love to hear from anyone who knows:
How hard their sixth form entrance exams are.
What (if any) revision/prep I should do.
Whether any of them consist of questions which question your knowledge beyond the GCSE curriculum (e.g. verbal/non-verbal reasoning, general knowledge, comprehension).
How limiting is the time limit/did you run out of time.
And if there is just any other general info/tips that I should know of.
I am really stressed for these exams and am currently hyperventilating so if anyone can help I would REALLY appreciate it.
Xx :smile:

Scroll to see replies

How did you apply for the sixth forms because there quite expensive x ??
Are you sure tiffin girls have an entrance exam? They check ur yr 10 end of year grades and ur predicted grades in February after your mocks and base their offer off of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Are you sure tiffin girls have an entrance exam? They check ur yr 10 end of year grades and ur predicted grades in February after your mocks and base their offer off of that.

Yeah no I just wrote tiffin as like another school I'm applying for. I was looking to see what the exams r like for SPGS, CoL, Kings, HW. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subjects are you looking to take?
I did the SPGS exam (didn't get in though).~
I found the exams I took quite easy? It was all basic GCSE knowledge apart from the Physics paper and I don't think I ran out of time in any of the exams apart from the Physics one.
Reply 5
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
What subjects are you looking to take?
I did the SPGS exam (didn't get in though).~
I found the exams I took quite easy? It was all basic GCSE knowledge apart from the Physics paper and I don't think I ran out of time in any of the exams apart from the Physics one.

I'm taking English Lit, Maths, History, Politics.
Currently, for GCSE I am taking Maths Edexcel, English AQA, and History Edexcel. Therefore I have not yet studied politics at school and have no idea what they could ask me.
Thanks, that's useful X
Original post by BeeDee27
I'm taking English Lit, Maths, History, Politics.
Currently, for GCSE I am taking Maths Edexcel, English AQA, and History Edexcel. Therefore I have not yet studied politics at school and have no idea what they could ask me.
Thanks, that's useful X

I only took the Maths exam out of what you're taking.
I think I found Maths pretty easy?
I can't remember anything about the paper - sorry.... I just remember the topics covered in it were'n't particularly difficult.
Reply 7
I only took the Maths exam out of what you're taking.
I think I found Maths pretty easy?
I can't remember anything about the paper - sorry.... I just remember the topics covered in it were'n't particularly difficult.

Ok thanks. When you say it wasn't hard, what are you comparing it to (what you had learnt for GCSEs. Or your level-the sort of grades you achieved in maths)?
Ok thanks. When you say it wasn't hard, what are you comparing it to (what you had learnt for GCSEs. Or your level-the sort of grades you achieved in maths)?

Both?
I'm pretty sure there wasn't any A* topics and maybe not even A?
Maths has always been my easiest subject, so I don't know if I'm the right person to comment on the exam? But I don't think the topics in there were particularly difficult GCSE topics.
Reply 9
Harris Westminster

Hey there! I'm also applying for Harris Westminster. Have a look on their website to find some samples of the entrance exams. Personally I don't find them difficult, but you will need to do some revision before the exams (which should go without saying)
Reply 10
Both?
Maths has always been my easiest subject, so I don't know if I'm the right person to comment on the exam? But I don't think the topics in there were particularly difficult GCSE topics.

Oh really? That's interesting. I thought of all the schools I'm applying to, the exam for SPGS would be the hardest, but if you found that there was no A* (perhaps even A) content in it, then that should be fine. Same, maths is one of my stronger subjects too.
Thank you, that has given me a lot of closure. X
Reply 11
Original post by Gabzinc
Hey there! I'm also applying for Harris Westminster. Have a look on their website to find some samples of the entrance exams. Personally I don't find them difficult, but you will need to do some revision before the exams (which should go without saying)

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I have had a look at them and I agree, they were surprisingly easy!
X
Hi everyone.
I'm totally new to TheStudentRoom and really need you guys' help!
So I'm in year 11 now, doing my GCSEs, and am applying to loads of sixth forms (coz I really want to leave mine lol). I have loads of entrance exams coming up and wanted to get you guys's help and advice on what they are gonna be like (if you have already done them) or how your preparing (if you are about to do them).
The schools for which I will be sitting an exam soon are:
St Paul's Girls' School
King's College Wimbledon
City of London School for Girls
Harris Westminster
Tiffin Girls'
I would really love to hear from anyone who knows:
How hard their sixth form entrance exams are.
What (if any) revision/prep I should do.
Whether any of them consist of questions which question your knowledge beyond the GCSE curriculum (e.g. verbal/non-verbal reasoning, general knowledge, comprehension).
How limiting is the time limit/did you run out of time.
And if there is just any other general info/tips that I should know of.
I am really stressed for these exams and am currently hyperventilating so if anyone can help I would REALLY appreciate it.
Xx :smile:

Ask the schools what kind of content your supposed to learn.
Would help but I go to a state college with no entrance exams #peasantlife
Reply 14
Original post by valbrechts
Would help but I go to a state college with no entrance exams #peasantlife

Lol so do I! That's why I'm so worried/confused about what they are gonna be asking me in exams. X
Oh really? That's interesting. I thought of all the schools I'm applying to, the exam for SPGS would be the hardest, but if you found that there was no A* (perhaps even A) content in it, then that should be fine. Same, maths is one of my stronger subjects too.
Thank you, that has given me a lot of closure. X

I sat exams for 3 schools and I actually found St Paul's the easiest.
It was good because for one school, they assumed you knew the entire syllabus already even though there was 6 months till GCSE so I found it hard because there were quite a few topics I hadn't covered.
It's just harder to get in because most people are pretty smart so you need to do well in most of the papers to stand a chance of getting an interview!!

Good Luck!
Reply 16
I sat exams for 3 schools and I actually found St Paul's the easiest.
It was good because for one school, they assumed you knew the entire syllabus already even though there was 6 months till GCSE so I found it hard because there were quite a few topics I hadn't covered.
It's just harder to get in because most people are pretty smart so you need to do well in most of the papers to stand a chance of getting an interview!!

Good Luck!

Awesome thanks! I'll just revise and do my best.
Thank you! X
Awesome thanks! I'll just revise and do my best.
Thank you! X

I am also taking the exam for King's, I have done a lot of preparation because i too go to a state school and i think the entrance exams will be quite difficult so i recommend if you really want to stand a chance is to do revision at least everyday because there are only two weeks remaining! im so scared! Anyway, which school out of the list do you really want to get into?
Reply 18
Original post by mathiagen
I am also taking the exam for King's, I have done a lot of preparation because i too go to a state school and i think the entrance exams will be quite difficult so i recommend if you really want to stand a chance is to do revision at least everyday because there are only two weeks remaining! im so scared! Anyway, which school out of the list do you really want to get into?

Awesome! Thanks for the advise! Honestly, I love all the schools so much so I think just to get into one of them would make me really happy (although there is one that I prefer, but it's really just a matter of taste).
Both?

I am applying for SPGS this year - which subjects' exams did you do? Did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest