The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drandy76
It was a joint contribution between STEP candidates and a few others, well they're good marks if they correspond to a 1,1 in 2/3, but I think Zacken is still salty about his performances this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, he is clever and he performed better in previous papers so yeah ^_^. As long as he gets a 1, i don't think he should give any shits because he'll have met his offer.
achievement.gif
Reply 2082
Title of the blog: done.

So, hey everybody! Haven't updated this in a long time, been caught up with a lot of things. Anywho, onwards with the blog!

I've spent my summer lazing around a lot, the beginning of it was fraught with nerves and self-hate mingled with heavy disappointment as I thought I missed my offer due to a horrible STEP II paper. However, after the first week of the holidays went by, I slowly started forgetting about it all and stopped obsessively going over my attempt mark-by-mark and started enjoying my summer properly instead. It wasn't all sunshine and games though. I had a spot of trouble with my wisdom teeth and ended up having to go in for surgery at the end of July to get them removed. The next week was rather painful and miserable as I struggled to eat solid things and dealt with constant ice packs on my face.

The pain moved on and things returned to normal. I spent the next few weeks playing games (No Man's Sky is epiiiiic!) and going out with friends for dinners and movies (Now You See Me 2 was great!), whilst I'd initially promised myself that I'd try and do some maths during the holidays to keep myself fresh, I just couldn't bear it knowing deep down that I'd missed my offer and wouldn't be getting into Cambridge. In hindsight, that was a pretty crap reason; Warwick is still a great uni. But yeah, whatever; I didn't do much maths and pretty much forgot about the whole university thing, apart from when annoying relatives kept asking whether I'd gotten into Cambridge yet and crap like that, wish I'd never told anybody anything.

As the summer wore on, mid-August started to approach. Initially, it felt like nothing was changing, I was still carefree and enjoying my summer. However, the buzz of others worrying about their offers, talk of STEP coming up again, friends talking about university, etc... started dredging everything back up. TSR was buzzing with results day stuff and that eventually brought up everything by the 16th of August. I started trying to predict my marks again, and stupid stuff like that. I knew I was in for a miserable two days.

However, the best thing that could have happened, happened. My long distance girlfriend ended up coming to surprise me for a visit! I spent most of the waking times with her, which meant that the next few days passed in a joyous blur and I'd forgotten about results entirely, all the crap on TSR and friends worrying about STEP were ignored carelessly and I couldn't have been happier.

On the night of the 17th though, that's when things started to get tough, I prolonged dinner, talked to my girlfriend for as long as possible, but then it was time, everybody else had gone to bed, it was midnight but I still had another 3 hours till my STEP results came out! I had no clue what I'd do with that 3 hours. I tried playing a video game, it ate up an hour of my time, which was nice but I couldn't focus very well, and I still had two hours left. I spent another hour watching stupid youtube videos and trying to take my mind off things, was minutely effective. Another hour left, I gave up on trying to push it away and started coming onto TSR and discussing things with everybody, posted my predictions in the reisults day thread, made a countdown, stupid things like that. Kept moaning to my friends about how I was going to get rejected. Finally, there were only 10 minutes left. At this point, I was just starting at the clock, counting down.

One minute left. This was hell, I opened the clock on my computer and checked the seconds counting down. 30 second left, I hovered my mouse over the "sign in" button. I remember this time last year, about to sign in for my STEP I results, praying so hard that a "1" would show up on the screen, but feeling massively let down when it was a "2" instead, I didn't want that same feeling again. I promised myself I wouldn't look at the grades when I logged in, I'd look at the grade boundaries instead.

5 seconds left, I started counting down under my breath. 1 second left. I clicked the sign in button and despite my promise, my eyes flickered straight over to the grades, to see a very relieving "1, 1, 1". A huge gush of relief flooded my body. A year of massive risks paid off, quitting school, doing A-Levels on my own, all of it for this. And I got through. Turns out that my "horrible" STEP II paper was actually quite rather good. Better than my STEP III paper at least. I rushed downstairs and shook my parents awake to tell them before coming back upstairs, the rest of the night was spent in a blur, congratulating my friends, consoling others who'd not done well. Unsurprisingly enough, most of my friends got in with flying colours, but still. I spent the rest of the night replying to people who missed their offers and were asking for advice.

I ended up going to bed rather late, something like 5 in the morning, only to be awoken up 3 hours after by my girlfriend jumping on me in excitement. We spent the rest of the day celebrating. Track update, confirming everything:
I got into Cambridge.
Since then, I've been mainly dealing with administrative issues, applying for accommodation, visa's, etc... boring stuff that nobody wants to talk about. I reckon that I'll need to start doing some proper maths now, there's no excuse of getting rejected anymore. I'm in and I've got to pull my weight. It's a very liberating feeling.

Reflecting on my journey, it's been packed full of challenges and memories, I made a few good friends off this thread and will even have one of them joining me at King's this year(!), quite a lot of them will be joining me at Cambridge this year and others yet are taking a gap year or heading off to America. It's been a great journey with everybody and I really feel like this thread helped keep me organised with my past papers and stuff. It's been a great learning experience and a great journey. I'm sort of sad that it's the end, but at the same time brutally excited for the beginning of the next journey, the three year one spanning across maths at Cambridge. Perhaps I'll have another thread for that, perhaps not. We'll see. Anywho, thanks everybody. It's been a great ride.
(edited 7 years ago)
warwick > cambridge
Original post by Student403
warwick > cambridge

No Cambridge building can compare to the beauty of Coventry
Original post by Zacken
It's been a great ride.

That innuendo...

But yeah congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2086
Original post by jneill
That innuendo...

But yeah congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're too much of a teenager! :tongue:

Original post by Zacken

shouldve applied for english :wink:
Wow congratulations, you deserve it!! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
shouldve applied for english :wink:

We all should've applied for physics and then switched to maths this October ^.^
Reply 2090
Two weeks left!
Original post by Zacken
Two weeks left!

Where is radians chapter or topics on examsolutions??
C2 radians chapter 6 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Two weeks left!

told you this earlier but can you count
Happy Zacin Britain Visa Day to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
You got into Cambridge then? For what?
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3

Think he does Geography
Reply 2096
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3

As the title would suggest: maths. :tongue:
Pun intended on the title?
Reply 2098
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Pun intended on the title?

Yeah...
What grades are good in STEP 1?
How impressive and hard is it to get "x" grade in STEP 1?
(x being the different possible grades you can achieve in STEP.)

I hope this made sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending