The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Apple have even had the cheek to bump the price of their old Macbook Pro. Prices has jumped from 1599 earlier to 1899 now. Basically admitting it wouldn't be good business to sell their old product next to their new one as it stood.
Have never owned an Apple product. It is a waste of money.
Original post by James.Carnell

Original post by Jimmy Seville

Thing is, I asked you to provide selfies for me, but you haven't.
Thing is, I asked you to provide selfies for me, but you haven't.

Don't remember that. Sauce?
@sr90 surely a good time to pick up some Microsoft shares?

Apple offices rn:

(edited 7 years ago)

Likewise.

They kill off all technology after a few years so you have to keep replacing it too, how pathetic is that? If someone still has an IPhone 4 or the original ipad and wants to use it still they should be able to. There probably isn't much difference between the models anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only apple thing i'd consider buying is a Macbook, other than that everything else is a waste.
Original post by swirly
@sr90 surely a good time to pick up some Microsoft shares?

Apple offices rn:

you ever had those detoxifying smoothies in a tesco meal deal? bought about 5 yesterday and use them as a mixer, they bang.
Original post by sr90
Likewise.

They kill off all technology after a few years so you have to keep replacing it too, how pathetic is that?
Tbf to Apple they support they hardware with software updates way longer than the competition. Google will guarantee updates for like 2 generations, and how long do Samsung and HTC user take to get it. Nexus 5 which came out this time 2013 isn't being supported for the latest version of Android. iOS 10 is still supported on the iPhone 5 which was a 2012 release. The new macOS is supported all the way back to late 09 devices. Obviously there are limits on support becuase of hardware but 5 years from a device is pretty reasonable.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
you ever had those detoxifying smoothies in a tesco meal deal? bought about 5 yesterday and use them as a mixer, they bang.

Used them as mixer???? Lmao why tho

You never told me if you got up to the episode in Greys when the hospital goes on shut down :frown:
Original post by sr90
Likewise.

They kill off all technology after a few years so you have to keep replacing it too, how pathetic is that? If someone still has an IPhone 4 or the original ipad and wants to use it still they should be able to. There probably isn't much difference between the models anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know much about them, but they look very similar in subsequent models. My brother has kept the IPhone 4, I don't see anything particularly groundbreaking in the 5, 6 and 7.

I use a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, it has lasted me for years and is in perfect condition, never needing a fix. They are very resilient.
I am thinking of investing a sum of money into a S&P 500 index fund in December , in anticipation of the immediately negative impact of Brexit (I don't know how long the supposed recovery will last).

Also , @sr90, I seem to remember that the bulk of Woodford's fund is in healthcare and tobacco, do you know if these are UK based companies from memory?
Original post by Fizzel
Tbf to Apple they support they hardware with software updates way longer than the competition. Google will guarantee updates for like 2 generations, and how long do Samsung and HTC user take to get it. Nexus 5 which came out this time 2013 isn't being supported for the latest version of Android. iOS 10 is still supported on the iPhone 5 which was a 2012 release. The new macOS is supported all the way back to late 09 devices. Obviously there are limits on support becuase of hardware but 5 years from a device is pretty reasonable.

Does Android do that? I still have my old S3 which I keep for emergencies and I've had no issues with it. That was a 2012 release I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Does Android do that? I still have my old S3 which I keep for emergencies and I've had no issues with it. That was a 2012 release I believe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Android support for 2 years I think. I just got Nougat for my Nexus 6 but I'm not expecting the next version of Android to come to N6.

@Fizzel did you get the 6P in the end?
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile
S3 stopped receiving updates to the latest software at JellyBean, and updated until 2013 sometime when KitKat came out. Obviously all these things still work even if you don't get the new updates, but its whether there is support as to whether you get the latest features or are left behind. Developers will also kill certain apps and services in non-current versions of the OS. Apple are very good, probably industry best in that regard. Hardware limitations aside, if you bought a 2010 macbook pro and a iPhone 5, you are still getting the same software updates and features that someone who just bought top of the range stuff yesterday.
Original post by Wilfred Little
@Fizzel did you get the 6P in the end?
No man I haven't yet. I was on the fence waiting to see what the Pixel looked like. I like it but not at that price. I'll probably have a shop around and see if I can get a good deal on a 6p, but I'm looking at building a new PC system atm so hesitant to spend anymore money. I do like the look of Nougat though.
Original post by Fizzel
No man I haven't yet. I was on the fence waiting to see what the Pixel looked like. I like it but not at that price. I'll probably have a shop around and see if I can get a good deal on a 6p, but I'm looking at building a new PC system atm so hesitant to spend anymore money. I do like the look of Nougat though.

Custom PC >
I had the iPhone 4s up until a few months ago, the software worked perfectly fine for like 4.5 years. I was also able to trade it in to Apple for £75 off a new phone.

Crazy to see how they jacked up the prices for the Macbook Pro though, I'm glad I didn't wait to purchase the new ones.

Latest