The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lewislloyd
Thanks, I still don't see how having a bachelors puts you ahead of someone with a diploma, but that is governing bodies for you

Here's a more in-depth document for you: https://www.collegeofparamedics.co.uk/downloads/College_of_ParamedicsInteractiveCareer_Framework16.pdf
Can I ask How difficult is it to get into Birmingham places wise ? i went to the open day and i didn't want to leave!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bumbleberry95
Hi! I am pretty sure I am going to apply for the Paramedic science degree course for the 2017 intake. I wondered who else was thinking about this?

Anyone applying who is a little older? I would be 22 by the start date.
What experience do people have?

Good luck to everyone!

I'm also older as well ( i'll be 23) I'm hoping to move away!
Original post by Wutheringwhite
Can I ask How difficult is it to get into Birmingham places wise ? i went to the open day and i didn't want to leave!!

Hi there, Im a current first year Paramedic Student at Birmingham City, so any questions feel free :smile:

But generally speaking here at BCU it was around 900 applications or so for about 40 spaces or so.

Ta,

N
Original post by Nickko99
Hi there, Im a current first year Paramedic Student at Birmingham City, so any questions feel free :smile:

But generally speaking here at BCU it was around 900 applications or so for about 40 spaces or so.

Ta,

N

WOW you are so lucky! I'm so jealous and slightly scared now about applying, I'm a mature student and I just thought it was such a brilliant course- my mum had to drag me away from the place! I'm in the middle of statement writing and is there anything as a general rule you would say don't include in your statement ( if you are allowed to say anything?) and do you know what the occupation health form process is like ?

(thank you )
WOW you are so lucky! I'm so jealous and slightly scared now about applying, I'm a mature student and I just thought it was such a brilliant course- my mum had to drag me away from the place! I'm in the middle of statement writing and is there anything as a general rule you would say don't include in your statement ( if you are allowed to say anything?) and do you know what the occupation health form process is like ?

(thank you )

Well you can feel free to private message me your personal statement, Id be happy to have a look through !, it is a brilliant course, I love how practically based it is !, and nah you can include most things ! Just not anything which is just too generic, remember, there are a lot of applicants, and the OH form is fine ! Just the basic kind of thing ya know ! All your other OH stuff is done once your actually in uni.

Ta,

N
Hi, I am hoping to start a paramedics course in September (A Level grades dependant!) i was just wondering if anyone else has found that there aren't many university in the North of England offering the full 3 year course??
Original post by lucyshirl
Hi, I am hoping to start a paramedics course in September (A Level grades dependant!) i was just wondering if anyone else has found that there aren't many university in the North of England offering the full 3 year course??

The science developed ones do seem to be more ' down south' but theres a few practice ones up north which focus on both Driving and science
Original post by Nickko99
Well you can feel free to private message me your personal statement, Id be happy to have a look through !, it is a brilliant course, I love how practically based it is !, and nah you can include most things ! Just not anything which is just too generic, remember, there are a lot of applicants, and the OH form is fine ! Just the basic kind of thing ya know ! All your other OH stuff is done once your actually in uni.

Ta,

N

That would be wonderful if you wouldn't mind! Would repay you but I have no scientific knowledge to give back unless community Pharmacy is your thing ha!Oh wow, i think i'll be pushing the boat out on my personal statement- you have to get the second accommodation don't you- how are you feeling about that?? I will keep that in mind- I've tried to do some more research and add that in. Oh wow really?! well i never!thanks again
Reply 29
hi guys, I'm 24 and currently doing an access to HE - science course. My first choice is UWE and was wondering if anyone knew how many places are available compared to the amount of applicants? I'm going to be starting my UCAS application soon but I am waiting to start my new job (HCA in a hospital) and I have an interview next week for SJA. Both of them plus 3 years first aid and 6 years doing door supervision I hope will be sufficient experience although I do get a little worried that it may not be enough for UWE! Also does anyone know anything about the interview stations at UWE? Thanks!
That would be wonderful if you wouldn't mind! Would repay you but I have no scientific knowledge to give back unless community Pharmacy is your thing ha!Oh wow, i think i'll be pushing the boat out on my personal statement- you have to get the second accommodation don't you- how are you feeling about that?? I will keep that in mind- I've tried to do some more research and add that in. Oh wow really?! well i never!thanks again

Sweet, ill send you a private message, what do you mean 'second accommodation' ? Im a bit lost by the meaning of that haha.
Reply 31
Original post by mjf1992
hi guys, I'm 24 and currently doing an access to HE - science course. My first choice is UWE and was wondering if anyone knew how many places are available compared to the amount of applicants? I'm going to be starting my UCAS application soon but I am waiting to start my new job (HCA in a hospital) and I have an interview next week for SJA. Both of them plus 3 years first aid and 6 years doing door supervision I hope will be sufficient experience although I do get a little worried that it may not be enough for UWE! Also does anyone know anything about the interview stations at UWE? Thanks!

HCA work plus voluntary first aid should be good enough. When I had my UWE interview I think they said they have something like a thousand applicants, although my memory is fuzzy on that number. They originally had around 35 places I think and then when a mate of mine went for an interview there a few months later they'd bumped that up to 80 to try and meet the demand.

Interview was an MMI set-up with you rotating around different stations. One of them was picking 5 attributes you think would be most valuable as a paramedic from a list they gave you and defending your position. Another was being given a scenario of a distressed mother with an injured son as a patient and you have to say what you would do, be thinking about, etc. Another one was standard stuff of 'Why do you want to be a paramedic?' 'What research have you done?' etc.

Hope that helps.
Original post by mjf1992

Do some voluntary stuff as a CFR, absolutely fantastic real world experience. HCA is good and all but you don't get much clinical scope at all :/
Reply 33
I applied to be a CFR with SWAS but unfortunately I wasn't able to make the training dates which I was absolutely gutted about, I spoke to SJA and they mentioned about doing CFR with them which hopefully happens!

Also thanks for the reply about UWE, it's my first choice and I really hope I manage to get it although them numbers look pretty scary!
Do you guys know anything about tuition funding for next year? I know they're cutting them for most healthcare courses but it says on the government consultation file that paramedic courses are not included. Some sources say they will or won't be, it's all very confusing.
Original post by Intermediate
Do you guys know anything about tuition funding for next year? I know they're cutting them for most healthcare courses but it says on the government consultation file that paramedic courses are not included. Some sources say they will or won't be, it's all very confusing.

Paramedic courses have never received any government funding
Reply 36
Original post by Intermediate

The few paramedic courses that are funded are funded by local authorities rather than the government. The universities I've visited that have this arrangement say that they never know year to year if funding will get cut or not.
Hi everyone.. only just noticed that this thread has had some replies.

I haven't submitted my application yet but I am hoping to in the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure I will be applying to Brighton and Birmingham City definitely and need to decide the others.

Was everyone aware that Sheffield have changed their course, making it a Bsc now?? The first course starts in March 2017. I'm not sure if you can apply now for the March intake, but definitely for the Sept one.

Where is everyone else thinking of applying? Is anyone applying for a mix of Bsc and diploma courses?
Applying again this year, completed my personal statement and all the other deets. Just struggling on what to put for my choices. I've already chosen UWE and Brighton university. I still have 3 more choices!
Hello all!

Thought I best join you. After much deliberation I have decided to apply for Paramedicine over Nursing. Just completing my personal statement at the moment, otherwise it is ready to send away!

Anyone else applying for UEA?

Quick Reply

Latest