The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bella909
I'm applying for IR and History too :smile: I finally got my initial review email yesterday as well, good luck!

You too! :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Gosh, I applied for PPE, have 8A*s, 2As at GCSE, 4As at AS, 3A* predicted at A-level. They asked for my maths UMS three days ago and I have not heard from them ever since. Starting to worry I will not get in, as I only do Maths, not Further :frown:
Applying for IR. 10A*s and 1A at GCSE. 44 IB predict. A substantial level of extracurriculars. Applied on the 12th, got the initial review thingo on the 24th and now just waiiiting!!
Original post by boombayah
Applying for IR. 10A*s and 1A at GCSE. 44 IB predict. A substantial level of extracurriculars. Applied on the 12th, got the initial review thingo on the 24th and now just waiiiting!!

I'm the same batch, only for Economics! Initial review also on the 24th, have you been asked for UMS yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gmahapatra
I'm the same batch, only for Economics! Initial review also on the 24th, have you been asked for UMS yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, I haven't. Have you?
Hi everyone!
I want to apply for Government and Economics (required: A*AA mathsA*) but in my country we don't have any maths subject equivalent to a levels further maths (our extended maths' difficulty is somewhere between a levels maths and further maths I heard).
I take English literature, physics, economics and extended maths and is predicted A*A*AB but I expect to improve my maths to at least A in the upcoming mock exam. However this mock takes place after Jan 15, which is the deadline for all UCAS apps. I know my B in extended maths hurts my chance, but should I still send it and try to explain in my ps that I could improve? Or better, does anyone know if I could send my updated predicted grades to LSE privately after jan 15??

I'm panicking, any comments are appreciated. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did they say in the initial review email? Did it include this sentence: "Your application is currently under initial review."?
Or did it say something about 8 weeks?

On the same day they sent me the UMS form, I received an email on 17th talking about initial review (which included the sentence above). Did they also send it on the same day to you?
Original post by fastturtleneck
Hi everyone!
I want to apply for Government and Economics (required: A*AA mathsA*) but in my country we don't have any maths subject equivalent to a levels further maths (our extended maths' difficulty is somewhere between a levels maths and further maths I heard).
I take English literature, physics, economics and extended maths and is predicted A*A*AB but I expect to improve my maths to at least A in the upcoming mock exam. However this mock takes place after Jan 15, which is the deadline for all UCAS apps. I know my B in extended maths hurts my chance, but should I still send it and try to explain in my ps that I could improve? Or better, does anyone know if I could send my updated predicted grades to LSE privately after jan 15??

I'm panicking, any comments are appreciated. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know what qualification you are taking, so whatever I say might not be correct for your situation. However, "if" I treat your grades as A-Levels and considering your extended Maths as A-Level Maths, then you are not in a good position.

If they require minimum A* in Maths, then applying with an A is not enough. In your situation it is initially B and it "might" go up to an A, but it "might" not as well.
Personally, I recommend you to contact LSE, as your qualifications seem slightly different and maybe an A in that Maths will be enough for them. You should also ask them about updating your application after 15th January deadline. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone received any emails about "2 weeks" or "8 weeks"?
I feel like this year they slightly changed their process.
My application status is not showing up on the LSE for You portal. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

I just applied to the LSE but my references have yet to upload their letters. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Original post by Fbiemad
What did they say in the initial review email? Did it include this sentence: "Your application is currently under initial review."?

On the same day they sent me the UMS form, I received an email on 17th talking about initial review (which included the sentence above). Did they also send it on the same day to you?

That's weird. I applied on the 12th. On the same day, I just got a "LSE has received your application" email. I got the initial review (with the sentence above) email on the 24th. Not asked for UMS points yet.

Tho the "LSE has received your application" email did include this:

"LSE receives a high volume of applications and we consider each application very carefully before reaching a decision. Decisions typically take between 8 and 12 weeks, although some decisions are made earlier and some decisions may take longer. All decisions are made by the 31st March.

The admissions process has two main stages:

1) Initial assessment: your application is reviewed to ensure your academic qualifications (predicted/achieved) meet the entry requirements for the programme to which you have applied, and your personal statement is assessed. Following this assessment, your application will either be put forward for further consideration, or you will receive an unsuccessful decision.

2) Further assessment: your application is further assessed in competition with other applicants in your cohort. Following consideration by the Admissions Selector, you will receive a decision on your application. "
Original post by boombayah
That's weird. I applied on the 12th. On the same day, I just got a "LSE has received your application" email. I got the initial review (with the sentence above) email on the 24th. Not asked for UMS points yet.

Tho the "LSE has received your application" email did include this:

"LSE receives a high volume of applications and we consider each application very carefully before reaching a decision. Decisions typically take between 8 and 12 weeks, although some decisions are made earlier and some decisions may take longer. All decisions are made by the 31st March.

The admissions process has two main stages:

1) Initial assessment: your application is reviewed to ensure your academic qualifications (predicted/achieved) meet the entry requirements for the programme to which you have applied, and your personal statement is assessed. Following this assessment, your application will either be put forward for further consideration, or you will receive an unsuccessful decision.

2) Further assessment: your application is further assessed in competition with other applicants in your cohort. Following consideration by the Admissions Selector, you will receive a decision on your application. "

I applied on 10th, received the first email from LSE on 13th, then on 17th I received the initial review email and the UMS form email.
What course did you apply for? Maybe your course doesn't have the UMS form or maybe your course is different to mine. I applied for BSc Economics. :smile:
Original post by Fbiemad
I applied on 10th, received the first email from LSE on 13th, then on 17th I received the initial review email and the UMS form email.
What course did you apply for? Maybe your course doesn't have the UMS form or maybe your course is different to mine. I applied for BSc Economics. :smile:

I've applied for the BSc in International Relations. Yup, maybe mine doesn't have UMS~ Anyways, best of luck!!
Original post by Fbiemad

I had the application is under initial review - but I had included my UMS in my UCAS form, so possibly that meant they didn't have to ask for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fbiemad

I also went for BSC econ :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had the application is under initial review - but I had included my UMS in my UCAS form, so possibly that meant they didn't have to ask for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you apply and when did they receive your application??
I applied to BSc Economics October 13, got the initial review mail 24th
Original post by FriltonMiedman
I applied to BSc Economics October 13, got the initial review mail 24th

What subjects are you doing?
Original post by Fbiemad
What subjects are you doing?

I'm doing the IB programme. Applied with 41 in predicted including 7 in Maths HL and Economics HL.

Edit: Also doing Swedish Lit HL, History SL, Biology SL and English A LangLit SL.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys! I received LSE's email to let me know that they got my application on the 18th of October. Really anxious about the wait as I've already gotten rejected by Leeds so I'm not too confident about getting an offer from LSE lmao. But here are my grades and stuff. I'm applying for Accounting & Finance:

IGCSE - 9A*, 1A
AS - AAA in Accounting, Economics and Mathematics
Predicted - A*A*A or A*AA (Not too sure, didn't clarify w/ my lecturer)
In my opinion, (relatively) strong PS? Don't want to be too confident :P
IELTS - 8.5
Won bronze in an Accounting competition amongst 25 schools
Read "Alchemists of Loss" and "The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine"
I'm also taking AS Geography privately as my college offers limited subject choices.

Please let me know of my chances :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending