The Student Room Group

Is it worth waiting?

There's someone who I really like, but he's gone to Australia for a year abroad and won't be coming back even once before next summer.

He's one of my best friends, and I'd have absolutely loved to go out with him, but I know he's so far away, we won't see eachother for nearly a year etc.

Today he admitted he fancied me and said that there was something between us, but that he's so far away that it was just not possible, he hoped i'd meet someone else etc.

Do I need to just completely move on or should I see if anything could happen when he comes back next summer? Or is it just completely stupid to wait almost a year for someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The thing is I like him that much I would probably wait lol... but I think he's not completely against the idea of meeting a girl there. He told me he doesn't realy care, and it's really not his priority, but that he doesn't know..
Reply 2
Back burner
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
Back burner

yeah....

9/10 months is a long time. I'd go out there to see him, but I can only really afford to go once, so yeah once in 10 months :s-smilie:

It's highly unlikely, but if by some magic chance he comes back next summer. we're both single etc. then I could see then... but yeah guess I can't wait around hoping :s
if you're going to wait, make sure he will wait 100% too.
Reply 5
Original post by chocolatesauce
if you're going to wait, make sure he will wait 100% too.

I don't think he would sadly. I'm definitely way more into him than he is to me...
he's done this kind of long-distance before and it ended badly, so he's said he never wants to do it again.

Plus, he said he's not 100% agains thte idea of havng a girlfriend there, even if he says stuff like it's 'not my priority'..

nah, I think that maybe it could have happened had we been in the same place, but now I think it's like he's abroad,he's gonna meet new people etc. so.. :s
Original post by Anonymous
There's someone who I really like, but he's gone to Australia for a year abroad and won't be coming back even once before next summer.

He's one of my best friends, and I'd have absolutely loved to go out with him, but I know he's so far away, we won't see eachother for nearly a year etc.

Today he admitted he fancied me and said that there was something between us, but that he's so far away that it was just not possible, he hoped i'd meet someone else etc.

Do I need to just completely move on or should I see if anything could happen when he comes back next summer? Or is it just completely stupid to wait almost a year for someone?

You already know how you each feel. Just give yourselves a free pass to date and then see what things look like when he gets back. No point putting things on hold.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
You already know how you each feel. Just give yourselves a free pass to date and then see what things look like when he gets back. No point putting things on hold.

Yeah... the thing is, he says he's coming back here next summer, so I wonder if he'd get into a relationship there knowing he's going to leave.

If I'm honest, I think I need to just put it on the back burner, as has been suggested.

I think I'm way more into him than he is to me, despite him saying what he said...

You don't necessarily have to wait for him to come back. I may sound blunt, but you can find dick everywhere. :rofl: The two of you should just get on with your lives, remain on friendly terms and, if you're both still single when he comes back, give it a shot.
Yeah... the thing is, he says he's coming back here next summer, so I wonder if he'd get into a relationship there knowing he's going to leave.

If I'm honest, I think I need to just put it on the back burner, as has been suggested.

I think I'm way more into him than he is to me, despite him saying what he said...

Why shouldnt he get into a relationship? Let him have his freedom. I wouldnt go and see him either unless he really wnats you to as that makes you a quasi gf and limits him.

Just get on with your own thing.
Original post by Rhaenys10
You don't necessarily have to wait for him to come back. I may sound blunt, but you can find dick everywhere. :rofl: The two of you should just get on with your lives, remain on friendly terms and, if you're both still single when he comes back, give it a shot.

Lmao

Don't be disheartened but ldrs don't always work and most of the time you end up being frustrated with each other, the last thing you want to do is start hating him. Why is he only telling you this before he leaves :rolleyes: Tbh they end up finding someone, it's just not realistic with him being on the other side of the world unless feelings are mutual and as strong as yours.
Original post by 999tigger
Why shouldnt he get into a relationship? Let him have his freedom. I wouldnt go and see him either unless he really wnats you to as that makes you a quasi gf and limits him.

Just get on with your own thing.

No I didn't mean he shouldn't, I mean I will wonder if he'll want to, as he knows he won't be staying there forever.. of course he has the freedom to do that..

I probably won't go and see him, to be honest, unless he did ask me.

:colone: Maybe it's easy for you. You're pretty n' all.
Original post by cbreef
:colone: Maybe it's easy for you. You're pretty n' all.

Thanks, but this applies to women in general. Have your attempts at finding dick been unsuccessful so far? :rofl:
Thanks, but this applies to women in general. Have your attempts at finding dick been unsuccessful so far? :rofl:

I'm a guy :tongue:
Original post by cbreef
I'm a guy :tongue:

I know. Was just being sarcastic :rofl:

Spoiler

No I didn't mean he shouldn't, I mean I will wonder if he'll want to, as he knows he won't be staying there forever.. of course he has the freedom to do that..

I probably won't go and see him, to be honest, unless he did ask me.

If he meets a great girl then why wouldnt he? You seem to wnat to be in a relationship now and for him to pledge to you now he wont look at another girl.

Why cant he just have a great year away relationship that lasts a year?
Why cant you have the same?
The thing is I like him that much I would probably wait lol... but I think he's not completely against the idea of meeting a girl there. He told me he doesn't realy care, and it's really not his priority, but that he doesn't know..

You could be dead the day after tomorrow. And you'll have waited for what? Just get your boot's fill while he's gone as as soon as he comes back, make your play.
I know. Was just being sarcastic :rofl:

Spoiler

Can't always tell from words sadly :frown:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending