The Student Room Group

Bath or Lancaster University?

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice!
I've applied for Psychology BSc with a placement year at Bath and Lancaster uni and stuck on which to put down as my first choice. I've got an unconditional offer from Lancaster if i put it first - otherwise it's AAB (or ABB + an A in my EPQ). Bath haven't replied yet but their typical offer is A*AA (or AAA + an A in my EPQ). I liked the course better at Bath but Lancaster as a place to live. I'm also worried about getting an A in Chemistry - Bath wont accept A*AB in place of an AAA. Does anyone study at either of these and can tell me about the uni and/or the course? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by d8na
I've applied for Psychology BSc with a placement year at Bath and Lancaster uni and stuck on which to put down as my first choice. I've got an unconditional offer from Lancaster if i put it first - otherwise it's AAB (or ABB + an A in my EPQ). Bath haven't replied yet but their typical offer is A*AA (or AAA + an A in my EPQ). I liked the course better at Bath but Lancaster as a place to live. I'm also worried about getting an A in Chemistry - Bath wont accept A*AB in place of an AAA. Does anyone study at either of these and can tell me about the uni and/or the course? Thanks! :smile:

You may find this thread useful :h: good luck!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3721533
Reply 2
Really useful thread, thanks! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by d8na
I've applied for Psychology BSc with a placement year at Bath and Lancaster uni and stuck on which to put down as my first choice. I've got an unconditional offer from Lancaster if i put it first - otherwise it's AAB (or ABB + an A in my EPQ). Bath haven't replied yet but their typical offer is A*AA (or AAA + an A in my EPQ). I liked the course better at Bath but Lancaster as a place to live. I'm also worried about getting an A in Chemistry - Bath wont accept A*AB in place of an AAA. Does anyone study at either of these and can tell me about the uni and/or the course? Thanks!

Hi,

It's great to hear that you have applied to study at Bath! I'm a third year Psychology student here at Bath and although I cannot comment on what Lancaster has to offer, hopefully I can give you an insight into my experiences of being a student at Bath!

In my opinion one of the most important things to consider is location and what type of city you would like to live in. Bath, being a World Heritage site, is a beautiful and picturesque city to live in with lots of shops and restaurants, and offering plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). With over 15,000 students at the University of Bath, there is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering. Bath is a campus university, which is great as it offers facilities such as accommodation, a shop, the SU, sports facilities, the library, bars, cafes and teaching facilities all in one place. There are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town, and the transport links are also great - I've visited Bristol several times on the train and it is very cheap and accessible. The campus itself is fairly small and compact in comparison to other universities, however this is something that I really like about Bath; as it means the university has a real community feel and offers a very friendly, cosy and safe environment to study in.

From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society as it is BPS accredited. The Psychology course at Bath is also very varied in how it is assessed, including exams, essays, group projects, practical work and presentations. There is the opportunity to choose one optional module each semester. This means that 4 out of 5 modules for each semester are compulsory and are Psychology modules. This might include modules on topics such as Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology or Social Psychology. Optional modules can either be further Psychology modules that are not compulsory, which include more specialized topics like Health Psychology. Or if you would like to take a module from another department including Politics, Education, Sociology, Sports and Exercise Science, Biology or Languages - this is also an option. So far, I have done a Sociology module every semester. I have really enjoyed these optional modules as they make the degree course more varied and you can learn about subjects you haven't studied before.

Another great thing about Psychology at Bath is the placement year - a year spent working in an apprentice role with a professional psychologist. There is a huge range of placements that you can apply to including clinical, educational, forensic, business and research placements. There are many clinical placements to choose from in hospitals across the UK, including very prestigious hospitals such as Great Ormond Street and Broadmoor psychiatric hospital. Additionally, there are many overseas placements in countries such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. This offers a great opportunity to gain experience in an area of Psychology that interests you, and is a fantastic thing to put on your CV! Also, the placements team at Bath are great and give everyone a lot of help in applying to placements. There is no need to find placements on your own, as the placements team find these opportunities for us and give a lot of advice about writing cover letters and CVs, and about attending interviews.

If you have any other questions about the course or student life at Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth
Reply 4
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

It's great to hear that you have applied to study at Bath! I'm a third year Psychology student here at Bath and although I cannot comment on what Lancaster has to offer, hopefully I can give you an insight into my experiences of being a student at Bath!

In my opinion one of the most important things to consider is location and what type of city you would like to live in. Bath, being a World Heritage site, is a beautiful and picturesque city to live in with lots of shops and restaurants, and offering plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). With over 15,000 students at the University of Bath, there is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering. Bath is a campus university, which is great as it offers facilities such as accommodation, a shop, the SU, sports facilities, the library, bars, cafes and teaching facilities all in one place. There are 24 hour bus services that run during term time which take you from campus into town, and the transport links are also great - I've visited Bristol several times on the train and it is very cheap and accessible. The campus itself is fairly small and compact in comparison to other universities, however this is something that I really like about Bath; as it means the university has a real community feel and offers a very friendly, cosy and safe environment to study in.

From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society as it is BPS accredited. The Psychology course at Bath is also very varied in how it is assessed, including exams, essays, group projects, practical work and presentations. There is the opportunity to choose one optional module each semester. This means that 4 out of 5 modules for each semester are compulsory and are Psychology modules. This might include modules on topics such as Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology or Social Psychology. Optional modules can either be further Psychology modules that are not compulsory, which include more specialized topics like Health Psychology. Or if you would like to take a module from another department including Politics, Education, Sociology, Sports and Exercise Science, Biology or Languages - this is also an option. So far, I have done a Sociology module every semester. I have really enjoyed these optional modules as they make the degree course more varied and you can learn about subjects you haven't studied before.

Another great thing about Psychology at Bath is the placement year - a year spent working in an apprentice role with a professional psychologist. There is a huge range of placements that you can apply to including clinical, educational, forensic, business and research placements. There are many clinical placements to choose from in hospitals across the UK, including very prestigious hospitals such as Great Ormond Street and Broadmoor psychiatric hospital. Additionally, there are many overseas placements in countries such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. This offers a great opportunity to gain experience in an area of Psychology that interests you, and is a fantastic thing to put on your CV! Also, the placements team at Bath are great and give everyone a lot of help in applying to placements. There is no need to find placements on your own, as the placements team find these opportunities for us and give a lot of advice about writing cover letters and CVs, and about attending interviews.

If you have any other questions about the course or student life at Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth

Hi Beth, Thanks for your help! I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me...
* Are you doing a placement year? What are you doing and how have you found it?
* Which are the best bars and cafes on campus?
* How long did bath take to respond to your application and what was your offer?
Thanks again for all your help 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by d8na
Hi Beth, Thanks for your help! I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me...
* Are you doing a placement year? What are you doing and how have you found it?
* Which are the best bars and cafes on campus?
* How long did bath take to respond to your application and what was your offer?
Thanks again for all your help 😊

Hi,

I have decided not to do a placement year, to focus on currently completing my third year. However many of my friends are currently on placement and are really enjoying it!

There are many cafes and bars on campus which you can find out about here. Personally, my favourites are Lime Tree and 4West. Lime Tree is a great option as it is affordable and has a wide range of food options. It serves pizza, salads, pasta, sandwiches, hot meals such as roast dinners on a Sunday, smoothies, coffees and pastries. They also have a nice bar area. There are lots of different seating areas so it is a great place to sit and work if you get bored of the library as it has a really relaxed atmosphere! You can take a look at the menu here.

4West is also a great cafe on campus. It has a slightly more limited selection than Lime Tree, serving coffee, tea and cake, jacket potatoes, soup, paninis and sandwiches. It is right in the centre of campus on the Parade, so is perfect for grabbing a hot drink or a snack between lectures. You can take a look at the menu here.

When I applied I received my offer from Bath in March, so try not to worry if you haven't received an offer yet! I understand that it can be a nerve-wracking wait. Our admissions team have a large number of applications to get through, and as you can see on our website we give equal consideration to all applications received before the UCAS deadline of 15th January. We aim to make decisions before the end of March.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please feel free to quote me! Good luck with your application!

Beth

Quick Reply

Latest