The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr PB
Yh i talked to the Admissions Tutor and he did say not to include short term things such as shadowing in the caring role section but to mention them in the motivation for medicine. TBH my motivation for medicine is based on my medical experiences

oh ok if thats your motivation then obviously put it, good luck :smile:
Original post by michaela__
I am finding the caring role so hard to fill out 😭 I do have caring experiences but trying to discuss them in the way they are looking for is what I'm finding difficult :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I basically talked about volunteering at a care home an just described what I did there (e.g. talking to the residents) and just went into detail about everything and finished by reflecting on what I had learned from it. hope that helps :smile:
Original post by medicapplicant
I basically talked about volunteering at a care home an just described what I did there (e.g. talking to the residents) and just went into detail about everything and finished by reflecting on what I had learned from it. hope that helps :smile:

Thank you 😘

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DocPK
Sorry for the late reply! been so busy with BMAT. Mines in A*, you must be so good at chem then, might need your help haha. I put down medical microbiology at leicester, so if I dont get 3As I will go there and try and transfer to medicine.If i get the grades though ill defo take a gap year as well.

Don't worry good luck for BMAT😘 nah I was good in the exam last year but this year I'm finding chemistry so difficult like I found it difficult last year as well but managed to pull it together at the end so fingers crossed I can do that again 😂 oooo that's sound interesting I haven't heard about that one! I've heard about clinical sciences at Bradford but I don't want to start a degree and then not even be able to transfer due to me performing badly etc 😭 which is why I'm thinking gap year but then it's getting 3 A's which is an issue :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medicapplicant

I was advised not to just mention the usual listening and talking to residents but to concentrate on the practical help like assisting with bathing ect as they want medics who are use to 'getting their hands dirty'.
Original post by SarahCroydon
I was advised not to just mention the usual listening and talking to residents but to concentrate on the practical help like assisting with bathing ect as they want medics who are use to 'getting their hands dirty'.

Listening and talking is so vital to being a doctor though I think it would be best to include both but I think communication is a vital point to get across.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree, however I was advised applicants fail to mention the practical aspects of their care role

No problem

oh, but no volunteers at the care home I volunteered at were allowed to do anything that required "getting hands dirty" we just talked and listen and provided refreshments and thats what I mentioned and reflected on it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 209
for the caring role would it be better to detail specific cases that we learned from or just talk about your voluntary experience as a whole?
As a gap year, is the ucas id my old one I got in yr13 or the new one this year. Not quite sure??
Original post by Kerim123
As a gap year, is the ucas id my old one I got in yr13 or the new one this year. Not quite sure??

Should be the same
Reply 212
Don't worry good luck for BMAT😘 nah I was good in the exam last year but this year I'm finding chemistry so difficult like I found it difficult last year as well but managed to pull it together at the end so fingers crossed I can do that again 😂 oooo that's sound interesting I haven't heard about that one! I've heard about clinical sciences at Bradford but I don't want to start a degree and then not even be able to transfer due to me performing badly etc 😭 which is why I'm thinking gap year but then it's getting 3 A's which is an issue :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, going to need it x haha nice one I'm sure you will. Think Chem is going to be my worst exam. What boards to you do? Yeah that's the only thing, I would have to be really good. But if that's the only way I can get into medicine (if I don't get 3 As) then I'll have to try. Newcastle also do transfers but for like only 3 people whereas Leicester don't have a limit as of yet. Have you considered applying to med schools in Europe?
I'll be applying to a med school in Berlin as a backup as I am fluent in German
Original post by DocPK
Thank you, going to need it x haha nice one I'm sure you will. Think Chem is going to be my worst exam. What boards to you do? Yeah that's the only thing, I would have to be really good. But if that's the only way I can get into medicine (if I don't get 3 As) then I'll have to try. Newcastle also do transfers but for like only 3 people whereas Leicester don't have a limit as of yet. Have you considered applying to med schools in Europe?

I do AQA for Chem and edexcel for biology, what about you? I think if I don't get the grades I'll look into doing the same as you! No I wish I could but I do not have that kind of money, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
I do AQA for Chem and edexcel for biology, what about you? I think if I don't get the grades I'll look into doing the same as you! No I wish I could but I do not have that kind of money, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do AQA for Chem as well, OCR for bio and OCR MEI for maths. Just got to motivate ourselves to get the grades first time tbh. Yeah same here, apparently it's cheaper there than the UK. Also most of there websites are so ****, can't get any info on applying
It's actually cheaper to study medicine in Europe than here
Reply 217
It's actually cheaper to study medicine in Europe than here

Yeah I did think so. How did you go about applying to the uni in Germany. Was it a direct application?
I have found this thread too late :redface: question for anyone who may know: would you say it makes a big difference that I did my caring role back in 2014 ? They say preferably in the past three years but I'm not sure... thanks!
Original post by DocPK
Yeah I did think so. How did you go about applying to the uni in Germany. Was it a direct application?

Yes direct application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending