The Student Room Group

Parents face court for refusing son on a trip to a mosque

This was in Germany, should the son be alllowed to opt out or should he be made to have gone on the school trip?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/parents-face-court-after-refusing-let-son-go-school-trip-mosque-a7385451.html

Scroll to see replies

This is wrong. They shouldn't have been fined or have to go through court.
Reply 2
Given their rationale I think they need to be sent on a trip to a mosque. Assuming your son will turn into a terrorist if he goes in a mosque...

Still, dealing with this through the courts smacks of heavy handedness. That approach will simply reinforce how the parents feel, and give them a persecution complex that will naturally provide fuel to their views. Should their son be educated about other religions? Yes. Is making such an issue about a school trip the best approach to that? I doubt it. Perhaps in this case teaching him about Islam (and ideally the parents) in the classroom may be a better approach.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't think there's a need for court
The headteacher could just have a meeting with them and talk about the benefits of the trip. At the end of the day if the parents refuse to let their son participate then that's their choice.
Reply 4
Their reasoning for refusing is pretty stupid.
The majority of mosques just provide a place to pray and read Quran, nothing 'extreme' about that.
Maybe they should have a visit themselves to clear their ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet critics have pointed out that Mr Heumann is a former member of anti-immigrant party Alternative for Germany (AfD) and helped found the Dugida, a branch of the far-right Pegida movement, which warns against Islamisation of society.

oh fancy that.

Trouble with legislating for normal sensible people is that you inevitably run into someone who 'wants to make a point goddamnit'

see also Northern Irish gay cakes or this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6068408.stm
Reply 6
Who on Earth wouldn't want their kids doing this kind of stuff?

Fantastic to see that some parents have the courage to stand up to the Islamification of the west. Ridiculous that they have to face court.
Reply 8
Original post by #ChaosKass
Fantastic to see that some parents have the courage to stand up to the Islamification of the west. Ridiculous that they have to face court.

lol sfu u ignorant ugly islamophobe
Reply 9
I don't think any parent should be forced to send their child on a trip to a mosque or any religious institution if they don't want to. Germany is a secular country, going to mosques or synanagogues or temples or anyone shouldn't be forced.

As a Christian, I certainly would not want to visit a mosque or any place where they worship false Gods.
(edited 7 years ago)
They should be allowed to refuse a trip to the mosque if they want to.Surely thats not illegal or do we have thought crimes now? I don't see how wasting a day at a mosque is of any educational benefit whatsoever.Unless a strong negative focus was put on it.That might be educationally beneficial.
Reply 11
Original post by zezno
lol sfu u ignorant ugly islamophobe

I hate to break it to you, but your silly little buzzwords like "islamophobe" don't really faze anybody anymore.
Reply 12
Original post by Wōden
I hate to break it to you, but your silly little buzzwords like "islamophobe" don't really faze anybody anymore.

I hate to break it to you, but I don't give a **** about your opinion lol
It's awful. No one should be forced to go to a Osage or learn anything about a religion in a secular country like Germany. In the U.K., since our fofical religion is the Church of England, it would be fine to maybe learn about it but even then I don't think any parent should be forced to send their child to a church or any place like that.
Original post by HAnwar
Their reasoning for refusing is pretty stupid.
The majority of mosques just provide a place to pray and read Quran, nothing 'extreme' about that.
Maybe they should have a visit themselves to clear their ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you'd be fine with going to a church on a school trip and reading the Bible?
Germany has systemic problems with freedom of conscience in its state school system. It is also one of the few countries in the world that bans home schooling.
Reply 16
Original post by biglad2k16

Well I'm a Muslim, and in my younger years we had to go to a Church as a school trip.
Reply 17
Original post by biglad2k16

isn't that what we do in R.S. anyway
and as a Muslim I have been to a Church before, and a Temple, and did some Buddhist spirituality course where they try and get you to connect to your inner soul
I find other religions very interesting and fascinating and love learning about them :smile:
I remember going on a trip to a Cathedral as a child during primary school. Similarly, my primary school also offered trips to other religious buildings such as Hindu Temples. I found that the experience allowed me to better understand those of a different viewpoint as a child, which is becoming more important as we move into a more multicultural society here in Britain.
However, there's nothing wrong with parents refusing to allow their children to visit such places if they don't feel comfortable, though I feel that the reason these parents gave was a bit worrying. Despite this, forcing people to pay fines and go to court is more likely to lead to a more divisive society rather than a unifying one.
As a Muslim, I would never visit a place where they worship false idols. I can understand why the family don't want to enter a mosque and that's fine. People should not be forced to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending