The Student Room Group

E at AS but predicted a B??!!

Okay so this girl in my Psychology got an E at AS and she has been predicted a B (i suggest because it still gives her a chance of going to UNI). You must declare AS grades on your UCAS application so will Universities look at her E and then at her predicted grade and automatically think she can't get in?
They will know that if she has been given a prediction of a B there must be a reason for that. Schools won't over-predict people otherwise everyone will be applying to unis they won't get into, and it won't look good for the school if barely anyone gets into their choices
Reply 2
Original post by jordanshelley97
They will know that if she has been given a prediction of a B there must be a reason for that. Schools won't over-predict people otherwise everyone will be applying to unis they won't get into, and it won't look good for the school if barely anyone gets into their choices

She explained her reason in class and that was that she was so behind in Law she put most of her effort into Law and not in the psychology exam. I just dont even see how she got onto A2, if you get an E doing the first year content alone there is no way you are going to get a B doing the first year AND the second year content together?
Reply 3
Original post by Rigby16
Okay so this girl in my Psychology got an E at AS and she has been predicted a B (i suggest because it still gives her a chance of going to UNI). You must declare AS grades on your UCAS application so will Universities look at her E and then at her predicted grade and automatically think she can't get in?

They will see the AS and draw their own conclusions.

It's not your problem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
They will see the AS and draw their own conclusions.

It's not your problem...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be my problem because she's applying for the exact same course as myself.
Reply 5
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've done better in your AS and have the same predicted grade or higher it's likely you'll be favoured over them, don't worry about it if you're applying for the same course.
Also there are plenty of places for psychology so don't panic
Universities will be suspicious of any applicant with wildly better predicted grades than their AS grades without extenuating circumstances. The school was silly to predict her that grade in the first place, because a) universities will probably be suspicious, and b) she probably can't even meet her predicted grades.

You will be much more likely than her to get a place for the same course if you're both predicted the same grades, but you had better AS.
Reply 7
Original post by emduck
Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've done better in your AS and have the same predicted grade or higher it's likely you'll be favoured over them, don't worry about it if you're applying for the same course.
Also there are plenty of places for psychology so don't panic

All I know is I got an A at AS and she got an E, I'm predicted an A and she is predicted a B - but I still don't see how that's fair.
Original post by Rigby16
All I know is I got an A at AS and she got an E, I'm predicted an A and she is predicted a B - but I still don't see how that's fair.

So you have both the grade and predicted grade advantage.

Uni admission teams know what they're doing
Reply 9
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Universities will be suspicious of any applicant with wildly better predicted grades than their AS grades without extenuating circumstances. The school was silly to predict her that grade in the first place, because a) universities will probably be suspicious, and b) she probably can't even meet her predicted grades.

You will be much more likely than her to get a place for the same course if you're both predicted the same grades, but you had better AS.

Her GCSE grades excel mine though?
Reply 10
Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs aren't that important if you A level predicted grades are higher along with your As level grades.
Also most universities don't actually care that much about GCSEs
Original post by Rigby16
She explained her reason in class and that was that she was so behind in Law she put most of her effort into Law and not in the psychology exam. I just dont even see how she got onto A2, if you get an E doing the first year content alone there is no way you are going to get a B doing the first year AND the second year content together?

I don't think you should bother yourself over this.

The admissions officers will see both the achieved grade, and the predicted grade, and they will make their own deductions. :smile:
Original post by Rigby16
It will be my problem because she's applying for the exact same course as myself.

I don't see how that makes it a "problem"?
Reply 13
Original post by Rigby16

Then it is her problem, not your problem.

Move on.
Original post by Rigby16

Unis pay more attention to AS and A level than GCSE.
It's also VERY unlikely that you and her will end up being the candidate either side of the cut off line, when there is probably way over 1000 applicants for the course.
Reply 15
Universities will definitely question why she's been predicted so high. I know that Warwick say that they contact students who have wildly over optimistic predicted grades, I wouldn't be surprised if other universities adopted the same method and emailed your friend.
Original post by Rigby16

It doesn't matter. Most of the time, more attention is drawn to A-levels anyway. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by mehokay
Universities will definitely question why she's been predicted so high. I know that Warwick say that they contact students who have wildly over optimistic predicted grades, I wouldn't be surprised if other universities adopted the same method and emailed your friend.

Trust me, She aint my friend :biggrin:
Original post by Rigby16

It's a bit difficult to tell without the exact details. What were your GCSE and AS grades, and what were hers? And what university, course, and entry requirements are you applying to?

Depends really how much hers exceed yours by.
It depends on her circumstances. I was predicted up from my AS grades in 2 of my subjects from a B to an A and a C to an A. In both cases, I achieved the A so it is certainly possible to increase by 2 grades if you put the work in. However, 3 grades is a LOT.
Also I had extenuating circumstances which were submitted to the universities by my school which explained why I underachieved at AS level. I would say if there was nothing mitigating around her A levels, then the universities will look extremely closely to try and work out why she has been predicted so highly.
To be honest I would just focus on yourself. Despite applying for the same course, her application isn't going to affect yours.

Quick Reply

Latest