The Student Room Group

higher chemistry

2PbO+C=2Pb+CO2 what mass of carbon would be required to react fully with 22.3g of lead (II) oxide?
Original post by jackiemcnair
2PbO+C=2Pb+CO2 what mass of carbon would be required to react fully with 22.3g of lead (II) oxide?

mass lead oxide =====> mol lead oxide (mol = mass/Mr)

mol lead oxide =====> mol carbon (coefficient ratios in the balanced equation)

mol carbon =====> mass carbon (mass = mol x Ar)
Original post by jackiemcnair

I did higher chemistry last year so I think I can help:

They key to doing this type of question is using your GFM ratios. You can see from the equation that for every 1 mole of carbon there is 2 moles of lead oxide. Ratio is 1:2. After concluding the ratio think about the gfm of each compound. The gfm of carbon is 12 grams and the gfm of lead oxide is 223.2 grams but there is 2 of them in the reaction ratio so 446.4 grams. So for every 12 grams of carbon there is 446.4 grams of lead oxide. Just simply divide the mass of lead oxide by 446.4 to find how much mass of carbon there is per 1 g of lead and then times the 1 g of lead oxide by 22.3 to find how much mass of carbon there is per 22.3 grams of lead oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RossB1702
I did higher chemistry last year so I think I can help:

They key to doing this type of question is using your GFM ratios. You can see from the equation that for every 1 mole of carbon there is 2 moles of lead oxide. Ratio is 1:2. After concluding the ratio think about the gfm of each compound. The gfm of carbon is 12 grams and the gfm of lead oxide is 223.2 grams but there is 2 of them in the reaction ratio so 446.4 grams. So for every 12 grams of carbon there is 446.4 grams of lead oxide. Just simply divide the mass of lead oxide by 446.4 to find how much mass of carbon there is per 1 g of lead and then times the 1 g of lead oxide by 22.3 to find how much mass of carbon there is per 22.3 grams of lead oxide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you

Quick Reply

Latest