The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusarium
I did the 2013 paper today and got 6.2 and 6.9, although that's with about 5mins extra in S2😉. Wbu?

That's insane! I'm lucky if I get a 6 in either lol
It's soooo stressfulll :s-smilie:

My scores are consistenly like 5 ahhhhh. Keep running out of time and the fact that Cambridge wants a 6+ score.... :frown:
I did the 2013 paper today and got 6.2 and 6.9, although that's with about 5mins extra in S2😉. Wbu?

You're joking. Congrats, you're into Cambridge 😂
Mate, I'm lucky if I even get an interview with my scores. Keep getting between 4 and 6 - crazy!

Any tips? I really want a 6 in section 1&2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is everyone doing in the past papers? I've done 3 so far this is what I've got:

2009: S1= 7.6 S2=7.2
2010: S1= 8.1 S2= 7.4
2011: S1= 7.5 S2= 6.7 (eek)
Ive been consistently getting 26/35 on S1 which is strange hahaha

What do most successful people get? A s the college I applied to said 5.3 is the minimum to be competitive but I know I need to do a lot better than This as my stats are average for Cambridge nothing great, though I do go to a state school (10A*3A's, 5As at AS, A*A*AA predictions, only 90 UMS average in maths).

How have you guys been finding the papers? 2011 science killed me (so many hard chemistry calculations) and I'm so bad at physics it's depressing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CutieTootsie
You're joking. Congrats, you're into Cambridge 😂
Mate, I'm lucky if I even get an interview with my scores. Keep getting between 4 and 6 - crazy!

Any tips? I really want a 6 in section 1&2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section 1 makes me physically sick atm lol. But seriously, the only score that matters is the score you get on the 25th. Forget about your past paper scores and just go over through questions you got wrong. I don't really have any tips for section 1(I usually just fluke them haha) but for section 2 I would just memorise all the biology from the assumed knowledge guide(especially the minor details, like ligase enzymes). For chemistry, learn the reactivity series and practise finding masses of reactants/products. Physics is all about using the correct equations so I would practise those type of questions as well.
But apart from that, we're all in the same boat and all we can do is try our best. I think the most important thing is to stay calm and to not panic. So I always tell myself, whatever happens happens.
I hope this helped a little and good luck!
Original post by isabella1999
How is everyone doing in the past papers? I've done 3 so far this is what I've got:

What do most successful people get? A s the college I applied to said 5.3 is the minimum to be competitive but I know I need to do a lot better than This as my stats are average for Cambridge nothing great, though I do go to a state school (10A*3A's, 5As at AS, A*A*AA predictions, only 90 UMS average in maths).

How have you guys been finding the papers? 2011 science killed me (so many hard chemistry calculations) and I'm so bad at physics it's depressing.

Wow, how are you so good at S1?!
Yep 2011 was the hardest paper for me.
2009: 5.9 6.9
2010: 6.8 8.6
2011: 5.5 8.2
Wow, how are you so good at S1?!
Yep 2011 was the hardest paper for me.
2009: 5.9 6.9
2010: 6.8 8.6
2011: 5.5 8.2

It's so weird as I was so bad at S1 in practice but real question seem more manageable. How are you so good at S2??? I am so bad at certain questions wish S2 was just biology it's so chill.

Love your name btw, GCSE throwbacks :biggrin:
Why are so many people applying to Clare as well this year:cry::cry::cry::cry:my stats are no where near you guys and they only take 12 :thumbsdown:
Original post by Moodicrus
Why are so many people applying to Clare as well this year:cry::cry::cry::cry:my stats are no where near you guys and they only take 12 :thumbsdown:

Haha yes I know this is insane :frown:

What are your stats?
Original post by I can do this
Haha yes I know this is insane :frown:

What are your stats?

6A*s 6As at GCSE
AAAA at AS, no UMS for Bio,Chem or Economics but I was highest in my year ( which has over 300 people) my maths UMS was 281/300 though which is only 93.7% but it was 3rd in my year. My BMAT scores are normally around 6-6.6 though. I know it says 'GCSE content' but I already feel at a disadvantage against those who took physics at AS cos this stuff comes naturally to them. So I think I've come to term that I'm not likely to get in but I've got 3 other unis to think about :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I can do this
Aren't you kidding? 6-6.6? There were two people in my school that got into do medicine at Cambridge last year from my school - one got 5.5,5.4,4A and the other got 6.7,5.4,3A! Looking at averages that's 5.45 and 6.1 - and they were successful at Christ's and queens' respectively :smile:

Just calculated my actual average, its 6.0,6.8 but I'm not sure how realistic that is given that I didn't do the older papers under timed conditions. And thats slightly encouraging but the rest of my application isn't strong at all. There was only 1 medic in the year above mine and no-one has even considered medicne at Cambridge before me aparently so I really don't have much to compare with apart from TSR (which oftenisn't the most reliable source around). I've already made my application so I guess I've got to keep going but I'm not ambitious for it anymore. I think I'll do the 2015 paper now and call quits cos I'm away on a trip till Wednesday :s-smilie:
Original post by Moodicrus
6A*s 6As at GCSE
AAAA at AS, no UMS for Bio,Chem or Economics but I was highest in my year ( which has over 300 people) my maths UMS was 281/300 though which is only 93.7% but it was 3rd in my year. My BMAT scores are normally around 6-6.6 though. I know it says 'GCSE content' but I already feel at a disadvantage against those who took physics at AS cos this stuff comes naturally to them. So I think I've come to term that I'm not likely to get in but I've got 3 other unis to think about

Your stats are similar to mine (10A*3A, AAAAA but only 90 UMS average across one subject ((( ) Not applying to Clare though. I'm exactly the same, the only thing getting my though the BMAT is that if I flop it won't matter to my other three unis. My scores have varied so much, consistently been getting high/mid 7s with two eights and two six's sprinkled in (damn 2013 paper!!!) I think the only chance I really have is doing well in the BMAT so the pressure is real ( I didn't do physics AS either and some of it I just don't get. Think I'm finally getting those difficult circuit questions now (got one right yesterday without guessing hurrah!) but the ones with multiple equations I just can't think what to do in the minute we have :frown: and some of the maths is a pain even though I do A2
(edited 7 years ago)
I was getting scores like you for section 2, getting in the 8.0 and upper 7's. Then I did 2014 and 2015 and my scores dropped, i think theyve made it far harder recently?

You people and your 7's and 8's. I'll be lucky to hit 6 on S1. I dont know why, but I do reaLLY **** on S1 (bmat ofc), section 2 I can hit 7 easily.
Original post by Lementation
I was getting scores like you for section 2, getting in the 8.0 and upper 7's. Then I did 2014 and 2015 and my scores dropped, i think theyve made it far harder recently?

Yeah, my average has dropped to Low 7s now. Just did 2014 I felt like the paper was a little easier (got 27/35 and 20/27 so basically the same scores I always get) but the grade boundaries were soooooo high I got mid 6s. Not a fan :frown: will check out 2015 later

Also, a bit more relaxed now as you know how Cambridge colleges give letter grades based off BMAT scores? Based off my college website, BB was needed for interview (a B being mid 5 and an A 6-6.5+) so two As should hopefully be an advantages and hopefully we should get that unless paper is crazy hard. What does your college say about it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SpookyCake
You people and your 7's and 8's. I'll be lucky to hit 6 on S1. I dont know why, but I do reaLLY **** on S1 (bmat ofc), section 2 I can hit 7 easily.

I do better in S1 normally, as S2 you can lose less marks but get a worse score :frown: what questions in particular do you struggle with?
I do better in S1 normally, as S2 you can lose less marks but get a worse score :frown: what questions in particular do you struggle with?

Usually I get most flustered by the problem solving questions, those really ruin my entire morale. I'm trying to get over it. For s2 im not so worried, since the potential for high grades is there.
Original post by SpookyCake
Usually I get most flustered by the problem solving questions, those really ruin my entire morale. I'm trying to get over it. For s2 im not so worried, since the potential for high grades is there.

Some of those are really tough :frown:(( yeah I feel ya. Hopefully it's a good paper tomorrow
Some of those are really tough :frown:(( yeah I feel ya. Hopefully it's a good paper tomorrow

Hopefully. Maybe it's just a confidence thing, if I can actually break through the barrier of my own mind I'll actually do very well
Original post by Lementation

They've made it easier which means there's little room for mistakes :frown: I mean 21/27 for a 6.2 is ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending