Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohhello92x
The car itself cost me £800 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good price. I plan on spending no more than £1000 on a first car
Original post by cherryred90s
That's a good price. I plan on spending no more than £1000 on a first car

Yeah that's what I thought when I brought it :smile:! Yeah fair enough, as long as your first car works and gets you about then it'll be fine :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :smile:! Aw it's alright :smile:

And I've got a Ford Fusion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah nice :smile:

Havent driven in ages due to uni - really need to for my test!
Original post by Jack22031994
Ah nice :smile:

Havent driven in ages due to uni - really need to for my test!

Ah fair enough. Hopefully you'll book your test in at some point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough. Hopefully you'll book your test in at some point :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries :smile:

Its booked - just need to drive more before it (or find the time to)

It should be okay though, Ill hopefully pass as I should have last time but hey ho - i like walking/riding my bike everywhere anyway but I need a licence so have to do it
Original post by Jack22031994
No worries :smile:

Its booked - just need to drive more before it (or find the time to)

It should be okay though, Ill hopefully pass as I should have last time but hey ho - i like walking/riding my bike everywhere anyway but I need a licence so have to do it

Ah fair enough :smile: yeah suppose that's the trouble when being a student trying to get time to get in driving lessons if you haven't got a lot of time :colondollar:

Yeah hopefully fingers crossed this time round :redface:! Fair enough, even now after passing and having a car I don't mind walking to places, like at the moment my mum's been needing to use my car on the days she has work because of the job she does as her car needs a little fixing and needs an MOT, so when she has work and needs access to a car, I end up walking to uni/work (sounds a little weird I know :lol: :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a learner, I found it very difficult to keep my road rage in order.
Original post by LancsLad
As a learner, I found it very difficult to keep my road rage in order.

I found that too kinda when I was learning, and even though I've passed my test 3 weeks ago I kinda still find that :lol: even my sister had a bit of rage the other day because a driver was in the wrong lane and wanted to exit the roundabout and nearly crashed into my sister's car, and the road user was an old person -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that too kinda when I was learning, and even though I've passed my test 3 weeks ago I kinda still find that :lol: even my sister had a bit of rage the other day because a driver was in the wrong lane and wanted to exit the roundabout and nearly crashed into my sister's car, and the road user was an old person -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on passing your test :bunny:
Original post by LancsLad
Congrats on passing your test :bunny:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 850
Got my test on Wednesday any tips?
Original post by moe889
Got my test on Wednesday any tips?

I'd say try and remain calm, don't stress out.
I think I also just imagined my instructor sitting in the car instead of the examiner, which helped.
And also as well I did a mock test the week before my practical and that boosted my confidence :redface:

That's it for the tips at the moment, can't think of any more right now, but if I can think of anymore before Wednesday then I'll let you know :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am really terrible at driving. I'm that typical learner driver who ends up being a nuisance to everyone else on the road. I had 5 lessons last year and then stopped because I was so nervous and I didn't like the pressure from my instructor. Now I've started again and I've had about 7 lessons now (one hour a week) and I feel like my instructor is really frustrated with me. He's always trying to teaching me new things but I'm still stuck on the first things he taught me. And then when he tells me off for something I've done wrong, I completely lose focus and I start to feel bad and just forget altogether what I'm supposed to do. He is a lot calmer and more patient with me than my last instructor, so I don't think he is the problem here, but I still manage to make him really frustrated and he says I need to focus properly and learn to multitask and I try really hard but my nerves keep getting the best of me.

The main problem is with clutch control and starting off. I just can't keep a steady foot on the gas and when I lift off the clutch I either lift off the gas completely and stall or I press down too much and start revving the engine. Because of this I'm slower at taking turns and can't focus on steering properly. And when another car is approaching from in front or behind, I just get stunned and don't react fast enough especially if they're approaching just as I was planning on changing gears. We've just been driving around my area but there's corner shops where everyone parks and it's really narrow so only one car can drive through at a time, and probably 3 or 4 times now I've had other drivers shout at me for not starting up again fast enough and for stalling and this just makes me even more panicked.

Does anyone have any tips for starting off and clutch control and keeping a steady foot on the gas? Are there any other nervous learner drivers? Because I really feel like I'm the only one who's this slow and panicky and I'm close to giving up again or maybe starting again with a female instructor :frown:
Original post by Petulia
I am really terrible at driving. I'm that typical learner driver who ends up being a nuisance to everyone else on the road. I had 5 lessons last year and then stopped because I was so nervous and I didn't like the pressure from my instructor. Now I've started again and I've had about 7 lessons now (one hour a week) and I feel like my instructor is really frustrated with me. He's always trying to teaching me new things but I'm still stuck on the first things he taught me. And then when he tells me off for something I've done wrong, I completely lose focus and I start to feel bad and just forget altogether what I'm supposed to do. He is a lot calmer and more patient with me than my last instructor, so I don't think he is the problem here, but I still manage to make him really frustrated and he says I need to focus properly and learn to multitask and I try really hard but my nerves keep getting the best of me.

The main problem is with clutch control and starting off. I just can't keep a steady foot on the gas and when I lift off the clutch I either lift off the gas completely and stall or I press down too much and start revving the engine. Because of this I'm slower at taking turns and can't focus on steering properly. And when another car is approaching from in front or behind, I just get stunned and don't react fast enough especially if they're approaching just as I was planning on changing gears. We've just been driving around my area but there's corner shops where everyone parks and it's really narrow so only one car can drive through at a time, and probably 3 or 4 times now I've had other drivers shout at me for not starting up again fast enough and for stalling and this just makes me even more panicked.

Does anyone have any tips for starting off and clutch control and keeping a steady foot on the gas? Are there any other nervous learner drivers? Because I really feel like I'm the only one who's this slow and panicky and I'm close to giving up again or maybe starting again with a female instructor :frown:

I think it's only natural to feel nervous. I still feel nervous sometimes and I've had over 30hrs of lessons.
The way I start off is clutch all the way down, apply some gas, clutch up slowly until I feel the car dip (or until you see the revs drop if that's easier) and it's important that you hold your feet still at this point. Then once I've done all my checks, handbrake off, more gas then slowly ease off the clutch.
I think it's only natural to feel nervous. I still feel nervous sometimes and I've had over 30hrs of lessons.
The way I start off is clutch all the way down, apply some gas, clutch up slowly until I feel the car dip (or until you see the revs drop if that's easier) and it's important that you hold your feet still at this point. Then once I've done all my checks, handbrake off, more gas then slowly ease off the clutch.

I just find it really hard to keep my foot still on the gas, once I start lifting the clutch I either rev too much or come off the gas completely. I told my instructor that I'm having trouble keeping a constant pressure on the gas but he says I just have to get used to it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for this - might it be the shoes I'm wearing or my seat being too close?

It's such a light touch on the gas that I don't even realise when I've lifted my foot off it but if I touch too much then it starts to rev. He keeps telling me I should know clutch control by now and it's making me feel really guilty.
Also this is going to sound so stupid but I really have trouble lifting the handbreak and I always forget whether I need to pull up or push down and sometimes I'm trying to press the button but it's not working and while this is happening my feet just drift off the pedals and I stall. :frown:
Original post by Petulia
I just find it really hard to keep my foot still on the gas, once I start lifting the clutch I either rev too much or come off the gas completely. I told my instructor that I'm having trouble keeping a constant pressure on the gas but he says I just have to get used to it. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for this - might it be the shoes I'm wearing or my seat being too close?

It's such a light touch on the gas that I don't even realise when I've lifted my foot off it but if I touch too much then it starts to rev. He keeps telling me I should know clutch control by now and it's making me feel really guilty.

It's true, it does take a bit of getting used to. What kind of shoes have you been wearing?
It's true, it does take a bit of getting used to. What kind of shoes have you been wearing?

I just wear normal flat / dolly shoes but maybe I could wear thinner/ more flimsy ones so I can feel the pedals better. Also my instructor doesn't really say anything about adjusting the seat, he lets me do it myself, so I don't know if I should be stretching slightly to reach the pedals or if my legs should be bent completely.
Original post by Petulia
I just wear normal flat / dolly shoes but maybe I could wear thinner/ more flimsy ones so I can feel the pedals better. Also my instructor doesn't really say anything about adjusting the seat, he lets me do it myself, so I don't know if I should be stretching slightly to reach the pedals or if my legs should be bent completely.

I think your shoes are fine, I usually wear converse or something similar.
No,you shouldn't be stretching to reach the pedals. Your seat should be adjusted so that you are able to put the clutch all the way down without having to lean or stretch. I'm short so I have to pull the seat all the way forward so I can reach all the pedals
Original post by Petulia

Your shoes should be fine. And as for the pedals your foot should be able to push the clutch and the brake flat to the floor, so your seat needs to be adjusted so you can reach them properly and comfortably:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending