The Student Room Group

UK Student application for Swedish university

From what i've found it appears that the dates of British and Swedish schools do not match very well, typically A level results are mid to late August and Swedish bachelor's courses start very late August or early September. The application for Swedish institutes requires documentation of completed secondary education by late June at the very latest. For this reason I'm unsure if i will be able to go to university in Sweden straight after year 13.

I'd like to know if there are any British students here who are currently studying in Sweden or who are also looking to apply for a Swedish university, if there are, how did you apply and when?

I understand that I could wait until the next round of application for the term starting Autumn 2018 but this would mean I have to find a job here in England for a year plus due to brexit i would have to start paying fees earlier which I may not be able to afford.

Thanks very much for reading, I hope you can help :smile:
I'm Swedish, I know some people from England who goes to uni in Sweden so I could ask them if they could help you and answer your questions.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by amandaswe
I'm Swedish, I know some people from England who goes to uni in Sweden so I could ask them if they could help you and answer your questions.
Hope this helps :smile:

That would be really helpful, thanks :smile:
Original post by Boothie98
That would be really helpful, thanks :smile:

All of my friends from the UK who are studying in Sweden did their first year of university in the UK and then participated in a one-year exchange with Swedish universities. They ended up staying in Sweden after the exchange ended and continued studying here.
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by amandaswe
All of my friends from the UK who are studying in Sweden did their first year of university in the UK and then participated in a one-year exchange with Swedish universities. They ended up staying in Sweden after the exchange ended and continued studying here.
:smile:

That's quite interesting to know that they chose to stay in Sweden and continued study because this is kind of a back up plan if I can't make it in straight after school. I'd still wouldn't mind studying in the UK and doing a one-year exchange in Sweden, though my end goal is to live abroad and I thought that might be harder if I studied in the UK.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :h:
I'm an English student in year 13 who and i am planning to study in Sweden as well for a full course not just exchange, I have emailed universityadmissions.se concerning this dilemma which i face too. Ill let you know what they require when i get a reply.
Reply 6
Original post by Marko Squires
I'm an English student in year 13 who and i am planning to study in Sweden as well for a full course not just exchange, I have emailed universityadmissions.se concerning this dilemma which i face too. Ill let you know what they require when i get a reply.

I visited Malmo 2 days ago and met with one of the student admissions staff to ask some questions about application. It seems as though unfortunately due to application dates and UK results dates it is not possible to apply straight after finishing sixth form. All of the universities I have looked into use the central Swedish application system that requires school graduation certificates that include proof of your A-levels. If you or I wish to study a full course we will likely have to defer for a year and apply for the academic year starting in September 2018, additionally this may incur extra tuition fees.

The brexit process is set to start in March 2017 and cannot take any longer than 2 years meaning that we will have left the EU by March 2019. If we were to defer for a year this would mean we leave the EU halfway into our first year, therefore we may have to pay for 2 years of tuition fees. This fee payment can be particularly hard as the British government have not introduced any kind of student loan for students studying abroad. Tuition fees are currently free for anyone from an EU country, of course no promises can be made on how long it will be before we leave the EU and what agreements will be made in terms of British students. For me, I will probably end up going to a British university that offers a course with a year exchange to Sweden, then if I liked my year I can always apply to take a master's in Sweden after i've finished my degree in England.

I wish you all the best, hopefully we can find some way to get where we want to be! Don't hesitate to ask me any questions, i've been researching this for at least 2 years now so I do know a fair bit.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Boothie98
I visited Malmo 2 days ago and met with one of the student admissions staff to ask some questions about application. It seems as though unfortunately due to application dates and UK results dates it is not possible to apply straight after finishing sixth form. All of the universities I have looked into use the central Swedish application system that requires school graduation certificates that include proof of your A-levels. If you or I wish to study a full course we will likely have to defer for a year and apply for the academic year starting in September 2018, additionally this may incur extra tuition fees.

The brexit process is set to start in March 2017 and cannot take any longer than 2 years meaning that we will have left the EU by March 2019. If we were to defer for a year this would mean we leave the EU halfway into our first year, therefore we may have to pay for 2 years of tuition fees. This fee payment can be particularly hard as the British government have not introduced any kind of student loan for students studying abroad. Tuition fees are currently free for anyone from an EU country, of course no promises can be made on how long it will be before we leave the EU and what agreements will be made in terms of British students. For me, I will probably end up going to a British university that
offers a course with a year exchange to Sweden, then if I liked my year I can always apply to take a master's in Sweden after i've finished my degree in England.

I wish you all the best, hopefully we can find some way to get where we want to be! Don't hesitate to ask me any questions, i've been researching this for at least 2 years now so I do know a fair bit.

Thank you, ive just received their reply and it is unfortunate that they require the full completion not the predicted grades like UCAS. A year exchange sounds like a good idea, so i shall look into that!
Good Luck and maybe see you in Sweden!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending