The Student Room Group

Number of people with desktop PCs

I'll be going to uni next year and I'm thinking of buying a desktop PC. I already have a laptop. My only worry is how many students actually have desktops, will I just be the odd one out
Original post by rhiwiwtg
I'll be going to uni next year and I'm thinking of buying a desktop PC. I already have a laptop. My only worry is how many students actually have desktops, will I just be the odd one out

Out of interest; why do you want one? (gaming?)
Reply 2
Original post by prospectiveppe
Out of interest; why do you want one? (gaming?)

Yes, for gaming mostly. :P
Yes, for gaming mostly. :P

Lol- I reckon you'll be fine having one (just make sure that you don't have loads of flashy lights on it!!), I think it is not normal to have one, but not weird either; especially in later years when you are renting student house and not just in campus/halls

Also what games do you play?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Lol- I reckon you'll be fine having one (just make sure that you don't have loads of flashy lights on it!!), I think it is not normal to have one, but not weird either; especially in later years when you are renting student house and not just in campus/halls

Also what games do you play?

Haha I'd never get lots of cringey lights :P I don't exactly play much at the moment because my laptop is slow - just csgo and some others

I'm sure you won't be the odd one out, although many will be using laptops. (a large amount of people don't need a desktop)
Reply 6
If you're in uni Halls, you may not have the bandwidth or access to game. My uni doesn't block gaming site access from the uni network, but it throttles back available bandwidth to the point where they're pretty much unusable.
Haha I'd never get lots of cringey lights :P I don't exactly play much at the moment because my laptop is slow - just csgo and some others

what rank are you on cs?
I'd just pay the extra for a gaming capable laptop, the portability is worth it and you get a lot of performance out of them nowadays, something with a GTX 1060 in will happily run any game you throw at it and it has the bonus of all your work being centralised.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone for the replies

what rank are you on cs?

MGE, what about you?
I have a powerful desktop and an underpowered laptop as I'm doing a computer course. It's been fine so far. The university has computers anyway so all I do with the laptop is take notes before going home to program.

In my later years if I need to be with people for project work it *might* be an issue but so far it's not come up.

Edit - don't buy a "gaming" laptop. They new GTX 10** series are almost as good as their desktop brothers(-5/10% performance) but the price really isn't worth it if you're in the UK. That's not mentioning the fact it's not upgradable.

A good video to watch -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Qit4CZ6EU
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a powerful desktop and a very cheap laptop, I use the laptop for lecture notes and working around campus, and the desktop for anything I'm doing at home. Software like onedrive and google drive make syncing files very easy.

I have found I don't spend much time gaming, but I still use my computer a lot for youtube, work, etc. Dual screen also helps here as I can have many more windows open at once.

Why would you be worried. there will be plenty of gamers going and that will likely mean a large number of them will be taking their desktops.

As pointed out above if you are a serious gamer, then do some research on the state of the broadband you will get if going to Uni owned accommodation.

If your pc is expensive, then do consider having insurance that will cover it.

Its irrelevant how many other students have laptops. You might find you don't need one for your course or at least you dont need the portability one provides.
Thanks everyone for the replies

MGE, what about you?

Ive only played once since summer and im now GN3 lool- I was MG2 before, but my rank decayed. If I get back into it, it'll be like smurfing :smile:

Hello,

It doesn't matter if you're the odd one out. If you want a desktop computer, do it.
I have a iMac and a laptop - just for various reasons. E.g. iMac when I'm at home doing work and my laptop/iPad when it lectures. Just depends on the lecture!

Good luck!
My boyfriend studies computing and all 200 people on his course took their full desktop with them
My desktop is getting on a bit so I was thinking about building a mini itx desktop pc for uni. Dont really wanna be lugging a mid tower around with me on trains and such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending