The Student Room Group

indecisive on A levels..... HELPPP

Hi, I'm really indecisive about my a levels i have to give an answer to my head of year by Monday and i can't change after that at all.
tin pool 1 I'm not sure if i should take computer science, History or photography. and then i am not sure if i should take chemistry and physics. or chemistry and french or physics and french.
my teacher said that i have to take maths with physics, which makes sense. i don't despise maths but i don't think i particularly like it. i pretty sure i love physics because every time i think about dropping it i get upset, but maybe thats just because its super hard and makes me sound clever. the point is i don't know! I'm sooooo confused? how can i love physics and not like maths. and at uni level the maths only gets harder so maybe taking engineering is not for me.
I'm scared to take physics and chemistry together because I've heard they're both extremely hard and I'm not sure if ill cope.
Your help is MUCH appreciated!
cheers
I take maths, further maths, physics and history. (I'm in year 13)

I have to say, maths is extremely useful for physics (if you take the mechanics module). Although this is just my experience, everyone who didn't take maths in my year 12 physics class ended up dropping it before year 13. Physics is also a lot harder at A Level and does include lots of maths, so it's quite important to have some mathematical ability. But it is interesting; you just need to do a lot of questions to consolidate the knowledge!

I quite like history - it's a change from all of the maths! I love writing essays and evaluating different opinions. However, be prepared to spend a lot of your time doing research as you have to do loaadsss of reading around the subject.

It's totally up to you, though. Go for what you think you'll enjoy and won't mind spending lots of time on! Are you in year 12? Although getting a high score in a subject at GCSE doesn't guarantee you a high score in A Level, it's a good starting point. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by maytalR
Hi, I'm really indecisive about my a levels i have to give an answer to my head of year by Monday and i can't change after that at all.
tin pool 1 I'm not sure if i should take computer science, History or photography. and then i am not sure if i should take chemistry and physics. or chemistry and french or physics and french.
my teacher said that i have to take maths with physics, which makes sense. i don't despise maths but i don't think i particularly like it. i pretty sure i love physics because every time i think about dropping it i get upset, but maybe thats just because its super hard and makes me sound clever. the point is i don't know! I'm sooooo confused? how can i love physics and not like maths. and at uni level the maths only gets harder so maybe taking engineering is not for me.
I'm scared to take physics and chemistry together because I've heard they're both extremely hard and I'm not sure if ill cope.
Your help is MUCH appreciated!
cheers

Don't let the difficulty of the subjects scare you off:tongue: Yes they're hard but as long as you actually enjoy them then you should be fine:smile:
Photography is a lot of work in terms on how much you have to produce. Check the oxbridge 'blacklisted'/ general subject preferences. Even if you know you'll never apply there its a nice guidance for what a good set of subjects to take is. Theres a page where they do categories of subjects and say you should have like '2 subjects listed in category A and one in category C' etc. They relate this to whether you want to take a science degree etc Category A subjects were like traditional academics like history and maths, B category was like psychology and the C category was like art and design- bit pretentious but you wouldn't want to get glowing grades and apply for somewhere which doesn't 'approve of your a level choices' like I was suprised to see psychology considered as a less valued subject on there.
-I saw this quite a while ago when a friend was looking to apply, I never applied to oxbridge myself so i'm not sure how much it matters but something to consider maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lauren-x-
I take maths, further maths, physics and history. (I'm in year 13)

I have to say, maths is extremely useful for physics (if you take the mechanics module). Although this is just my experience, everyone who didn't take maths in my year 12 physics class ended up dropping it before year 13. Physics is also a lot harder at A Level and does include lots of maths, so it's quite important to have some mathematical ability. But it is interesting; you just need to do a lot of questions to consolidate the knowledge!

I quite like history - it's a change from all of the maths! I love writing essays and evaluating different opinions. However, be prepared to spend a lot of your time doing research as you have to do loaadsss of reading around the subject.

It's totally up to you, though. Go for what you think you'll enjoy and won't mind spending lots of time on! Are you in year 12? Although getting a high score in a subject at GCSE doesn't guarantee you a high score in A Level, it's a good starting point. :smile:

Yes i am in year 12. tnx for the advise. good luck on your exams this year 👍👍.
Original post by maytalR
Yes i am in year 12. tnx for the advise. good luck on your exams this year 👍👍.

Thank you! I hope you manage to pick some subjects you like and enjoy year 12! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by solC
Don't let the difficulty of the subjects scare you off:tongue: Yes they're hard but as long as you actually enjoy them then you should be fine:smile:

Tnx😊. i wish i knew wat i really enjoyed.
Reply 7
Original post by Lauren-x-
Thank you! I hope you manage to pick some subjects you like and enjoy year 12! :smile:

Me 2

Quick Reply

Latest