The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys. I am stuck. I'm doing the 2008 paper and in 1 C I can't remember how to eliminate the y-s. I know it's dead simple but I can't seem to get unstuck.The simultaneous equations in x, y,
(cosθ)x - (sinθ)y = 2
(sinθ)x - (cosθ)y = 1
are solvable
(a) for all values for θ in the range 0 θ
(b) except for one value of θ in the range 0 θ
(c) except for two values of θ in the range 0 θ
(d) except for three values of θ in the range 0 θ
This may sound like a silly question, but is it okay to write in pencil for the MAT? (Just wondering as in most exams we're warned against doing so)
Reply 762
Original post by Oceankarma
This may sound like a silly question, but is it okay to write in pencil for the MAT? (Just wondering as in most exams we're warned against doing so)

No - a dark pen is expected.
Original post by denkata
Guys. I am stuck. I'm doing the 2008 paper and in 1 C I can't remember how to eliminate the y-s. I know it's dead simple but I can't seem to get unstuck.The simultaneous equations in x, y,
(cosθ)x - (sinθ)y = 2
(sinθ)x - (cosθ)y = 1
are solvable
(a) for all values for θ in the range 0 θ
(b) except for one value of θ in the range 0 θ
(c) except for two values of θ in the range 0 θ
(d) except for three values of θ in the range 0 θ
In exam paper the second equation was plus not minus , but if it was as you sent it both minus it looks as if it cant take 2 values which are pie/4 and 5pie/4 not sure though
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
Is it true you can't ask for extra paper in the exam?!?!??!

Unfortuantely yes. Really stupid. But they let u finish ur answers in the compsci prts so it 'should' be enough but i was pretty close to using it all so be efficient!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys this may sound silly, but do you think the average score amongst Imperial applicants is significantly lower? According to my MAT scores and Oxford statistics I could be shortlisted, but not successful. I'm not applying for Oxford though, and I'd like to know if I have some chances for Imperial.
Does anyone have any tips and tricks they have noticed in the past papers that they could share to help?
Original post by physicsmaths
Unfortuantely yes. Really stupid. But they let u finish ur answers in the compsci prts so it 'should' be enough but i was pretty close to using it all so be efficient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean you can finish your answers in the compsci parts?
What do you mean you can finish your answers in the compsci parts?

In the blank paper for the questions maths applicants dont answer like Q6 onwards you can finish ur answers there.
Vice versa
is the answer a ?
In the blank paper for the questions maths applicants dont answer like Q6 onwards you can finish ur answers there.
Vice versa

Ah right, so I essentially get 12 pieces of paper?
Original post by Mystery.
is the answer a ?

What happens if you take positive and negative values of y, and positive and negative values of x? (e.g. +2 and -2)

Hint: it's not a : P
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiksi
Guys this may sound silly, but do you think the average score amongst Imperial applicants is significantly lower? According to my MAT scores and Oxford statistics I could be shortlisted, but not successful. I'm not applying for Oxford though, and I'd like to know if I have some chances for Imperial.

My friend said it was 20ish marks lower.
is the answer a ?

Thank you, did you just try coordinates to see? like (-1,0) (1,0)

Also is the answer A to this :
My friend said it was 20ish marks lower.

It seems implausible it would be that low.

I was reading the 2014 mark scheme and 3iv) says 1+2/(b-1)>=2n implies 1+2/(2n-1)>=b which doesn't really make sense to me. Could anyone clarify?
Thank you, did you just try coordinates to see? like (-1,0) (1,0)

Also is the answer A to this :

TRY this, draw that circle, the interior including boundary is the points that satisfy it.
Now draw line x+y=k
Original post by Insecure

I was reading the 2014 mark scheme and 3iv) says 1+2/(b-1)>=2n implies 1+2/(2n-1)>=b which doesn't really make sense to me. Could anyone clarify?

1+2/(b-1)>=2n so
2/(b-1)>=2n-1 im just gna assume all the stuff is nice and positive etc
2>=(b-1)(2n-1) so b-1<=2/(2n-1) hence b<=2/(2n-1)+ 1
1+2/(b-1)>=2n so
2/(b-1)>=2n-1 im just gna assume all the stuff is nice and positive etc
2>=(b-1)(2n-1) so b-1<=2/(2n-1) hence b<=2/(2n-1)+ 1

ahh thanks. This sort of rearrangement is.... weird

I'm not sure where he got it from, but i'd imagine it'll be at least 10 marks lower

People get in with really low scores but no way its the average.
Check this official info out.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mat_scores_mathematics_degrees
So people who sat the 2014 paper for 2015 entry.
Average score of all Imperial applicants:51
Average score of successful: 66
So nkt 20 marks lower.
My friend got a 3A* offer this year for getting 48 in mat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending