The Student Room Group

Boyfriend wants to meet up with a girl he met on twitter...help!

Scroll to see replies

Would you feel the same if the person he was planning on meeting up with was male?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Would you feel the same if the person he was planning on meeting up with was male?

Probably not tbh. But he's a straight male, I'm going to feel more weird that he's meeting up with a girl than if he was meeting up with a boy.
I personally wouldn't be happy with it, and I can completely understand how you feel. I would tell him nicely that I'm not comfortable with him going, for the reasons mentioned.

If he is serious about your relationship, he'll maybe not go, or he'll at least do his best to reassure you that there's nothing in this.

It's entirely normal; why does he need to go and see a film he's already seen with someone he's never met? It does have a sort of date vibe, the whole thing.

It's a girl you've never met, you know nothing about, and as you said, you're not even fully sure that she knows about you.

How can you be fully sure of her intentions?

I hope this works out, but if not, then I think you should find somebody better. Maybe there is even somebody much closer to home.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend has a friend who he speaks to occasionally on twitter, and they share similar interests. He told me yesterday that they're planning on meeting up and going to see a film together (which I've already seen with him). He told me about this as if he was asking for permission...I'm not comfortable with it really but I can't tell him not to go. I don't know this girl and what her intentions are so it leaves me anxious.Am I right to feel weird about this? How do I approach the situation?

You can't really do much in this situation. You will just have to wait and trust him not to do anything.
Original post by daydream28
I personally wouldn't be happy with it, and I can completely understand how you feel. I would tell him nicely that I'm not comfortable with him going, for the reasons mentioned.

If he is serious about your relationship, he'll maybe not go, or he'll at least do his best to reassure you that there's nothing in this.

It's entirely normal; why does he need to go and see a film he's already seen with someone he's never met? It does have a sort of date vibe, the whole thing.

It's a girl you've never met, you know nothing about, and as you said, you're not even fully sure that she knows about you.

How can you be fully sure of her intentions?

I hope this works out, but if not, then I think you should find somebody better. Maybe there is even somebody much closer to home.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yeah, I get date vibes too. Like let's say he didn't have a gf and was planning this with her, you'd definitely think it was a date! Also travelling for 2 hours to see a film that he saw with me last week just makes me feel even more weird. Why can't she go see it with someone else? Why does he have to come and see it with her? I really wish i knew lol

I feel like he's not going to go because of me and I can't help but feel guilty about it, almost as if I'm restricting him from making new friends. But at the same time, it feels so inappropriate that I would never be ok with it.
Yeah, I get date vibes too. Like let's say he didn't have a gf and was planning this with her, you'd definitely think it was a date! Also travelling for 2 hours to see a film that he saw with me last week just makes me feel even more weird. Why can't she go see it with someone else? Why does he have to come and see it with her? I really wish i knew lol

I feel like he's not going to go because of me and I can't help but feel guilty about it, almost as if I'm restricting him from making new friends. But at the same time, it feels so inappropriate that I would never be ok with it.

oh wait, I must have missed that part. 2 hours?? Heck, I don't think many of my good friends would even travel 2 hours to see let, let alone someone i've met on Twitter!

I think the answer to that is that they're curious about each other. Obviously I can't say for sure,but there may be some attraction there. Maybe it's all innocent, but maybe he wants to see how it is with her in person, and then if they find themselves attracted to each other, well..

that doesn't mean to say he would want to cheat or break up with you, he may want to still have you as his girlfriend but have this friend too.

It ultimately boils down to whether you're happy with this continuing.

Let's imagine that they meet up, and he tells you about it, tells you there's nothing to worry about, etc.

Would you be ok with them continuing to talk/meet up in the future? Or would it always bother you?

I think if this scenario does happen, then it's best to let go. What if there's another girl from Twitter in the future?

I really hope from his part that he listens to and respects your feelings.
oh wait, I must have missed that part. 2 hours?? Heck, I don't think many of my good friends would even travel 2 hours to see let, let alone someone i've met on Twitter!

I think the answer to that is that they're curious about each other. Obviously I can't say for sure,but there may be some attraction there. Maybe it's all innocent, but maybe he wants to see how it is with her in person, and then if they find themselves attracted to each other, well..

that doesn't mean to say he would want to cheat or break up with you, he may want to still have you as his girlfriend but have this friend too.

It ultimately boils down to whether you're happy with this continuing.

Let's imagine that they meet up, and he tells you about it, tells you there's nothing to worry about, etc.

Would you be ok with them continuing to talk/meet up in the future? Or would it always bother you?

I think if this scenario does happen, then it's best to let go. What if there's another girl from Twitter in the future?

I really hope from his part that he listens to and respects your feelings.

He's just said to me that he won't meet up with her next weekend but might see her at some point in the future. Don't know if this is better or worse??? He obviously still wants to meet her
He's just said to me that he won't meet up with her next weekend but might see her at some point in the future. Don't know if this is better or worse??? He obviously still wants to meet her

Is that because one/both of them can't meet anymore, or has he decided that it's best not to after all?

maybe just see how it pans out... if all seems well in your relationship otherwise, maybe there is nothing to worry about with this girl..

how long will your LDR be an LDR for? Or are you not sure at the moment?
Is that because one/both of them can't meet anymore, or has he decided that it's best not to after all?

maybe just see how it pans out... if all seems well in your relationship otherwise, maybe there is nothing to worry about with this girl..

how long will your LDR be an LDR for? Or are you not sure at the moment?

He's not doing it because I said I didn't like the idea of it. We don't know when the LDR will stop being long distance, which is why I'm scared about him meeting another girl...I feel like he might start seeing a future with her instead of me :frown:
What's not to understand? He's being overly friendly with a girl who probably lives closer to him and who he probably has more in common with. He's going to see if he has a chance with her and then dump you to be with her.

This is not necessarily true, I meet up with girls I'm good friends with, who live closer to me than my girlfriend. Doesn't mean jack ****.
Reply 50
Am I the only one that doesn't see what the fuss is over this? It's his life, jeez. Seems like he's making a new friend, good for him. OP, shouldn't u be happy for him that he's found someone with similar interests that he might be able to bond with?

Seems to me that for lots of people, relationships just bring out their personal insecurity rather than a true desire for the happiness of another.
Original post by chickenhelper
Girl you're so right to feel this way because in my opinion if i was dating someone and they actually could be bothered to go and meet up with some chick he met on twitter i would be upset like excuse me?! yo lazy ass gonna go out to meet a stranger

Lol you're off your head.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't understand what the fuss is all about, it's his life - you ain't his mum. He can do whatever he likes, like wise you can do the same.
Pretty sure that if the roles were reversed, everyone will call the guy out being possessive, a narcissist and a jealous individual
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gnat
Am I the only one that doesn't see what the fuss is over this? It's his life, jeez. Seems like he's making a new friend, good for him. OP, shouldn't u be happy for him that he's found someone with similar interests that he might be able to bond with?

Seems to me that for lots of people, relationships just bring out their personal insecurity rather than a true desire for the happiness of another.

Exactly!
He will be balls deep in her before christmas..

gl
My boyfriend has a friend who he speaks to occasionally on twitter, and they share similar interests. He told me yesterday that they're planning on meeting up and going to see a film together (which I've already seen with him). He told me about this as if he was asking for permission...I'm not comfortable with it really but I can't tell him not to go. I don't know this girl and what her intentions are so it leaves me anxious.Am I right to feel weird about this? How do I approach the situation?

Yes. Ignore people who say otherwise.

What are the common interests they share?
Original post by Gnat

Spoken like a chump sipping from the progressive cool aid who will be cucked many times like a foool

Listen up young virgins...

Common sense and relationship boundaries are important if you like your relationship
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigMan Ting
I don't understand what the fuss is all about, it's his life - you ain't his mum. He can do whatever he likes, like wise you can do the same.
Pretty sure that if the roles were reversed, everyone will call the guy out being possessive, a narcissist and a jealous individual

Indeed. It is possessive and controlling.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Spoken like a chump sipping from the progressive cool aid who will be cucked many times like a foool

Listen up young virgins...

Common sense and relationship boundaries are important if you like your relationship

What's that meant to mean?
In a LDR relationship, not everything should be centred around your SO - because it will get lonely when you are not talking to them, so what do you then? Make friends - like what OP bf did. I should know from personal experience, as I am in one myself.

It's called balancing your social life around your relationship, a leaf that OP can take and use for herself and to stop constantly worrying that her BF will lose attraction. I mean, if he doesn't like her anymore then he'd have left her by now surely???
Original post by BigMan Ting
What's that meant to mean?
In a LDR relationship, not everything should be centred around your SO - because it will get lonely when you are not talking to them, so what do you then? Make friends - like what OP bf did. I should know from personal experience, as I am in one myself.

It's called balancing your social life around your relationship, a leaf that OP can take and use for herself and to stop constantly worrying that her BF will lose attraction. I mean, if he doesn't like her anymore then he'd have left her by now surely???

But going 2 hours just to meet a "friend" is a little bit strange.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending