The Student Room Group

British universities vs Dutch universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
Yes Sociology major with theatre studies minor at derby class of 2016, your point being? Do you think this is an easy, or otherwise poor degree? I don't know how it holds up to the rest, but i can assure you that it wasn't easy, by any means!

Well you're trying to demean someone else's degree saying it isn't "modern" (whatever you mean by that, ~30 years ago certainly isn't ancient) and your general condescending tone isn't doing you any favours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkEnergy
Well you're trying to demean someone else's degree saying it isn't "modern" (whatever you mean by that, ~30 years ago certainly isn't ancient) and your general condescending tone isn''t doing you any favours.

I thought I was the only one who thought he was patronising!
Original post by DarkEnergy
Well you're trying to demean someone else's degree saying it isn't "modern" (whatever you mean by that, ~30 years ago certainly isn't ancient) and your general condescending tone isn''t doing you any favours.

stop ganging up on me , thanks!
Original post by john2054
stop ganging up on me , thanks!

Drop the condescending tones and leave the thread please. I'd rather listen to an employer than some patronising guy who has no experience in the job market.

Thanks and good night! :smile:
Original post by Josb
You need a degree in translation to work in translation... The UK is filled with immigrants from every country in the world, employers can therefore be very demanding for these jobs. You just have to look at Reed; every translating job in Russian, Spanish, Arabic, etc. gets more than 100 applications. The only languages that are sought after are German and Eastern Asian (Chinese and Japanese).
Moreover, employers often expect you to be fluent in at least on programming language, since much translating work is related to digital content nowadays (internet pages, software, apps, games, etc.).

Actually, you don't. You definitely need a postgraduate degree in interpreting if you want to be an interpreter, but you just need to speak a foreign language extremely well to be a translator. An MA in Translation helps of course, and many translators do one at some point in their career, but it isn't a requirement. Proper translators only translate into their native language, so there will always be a demand for native English speakers who know foreign languages.
Reply 145
Original post by Snufkin
Actually, you don't. You definitely need a postgraduate degree in interpreting if you want to be an interpreter, but you just need to speak a foreign language extremely well to be a translator. An MA in Translation helps of course, and many translators do one at some point in their career, but it isn't a requirement. Proper translators only translate into their native language, so there will always be a demand for native English speakers who know foreign languages.

Some people may get away without a degree, and it was indeed the norm until a few years ago. Now, in the current job market, it seems that it will not be as easy, unless you're happy working freelance for 1 penny for 100 words.
Original post by Snufkin

I know there's a really big demand for English teachers in China,Japan and South Korea too. The amount of money they earn is gobsmacking.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I know there's a really big demand for English teachers in China,Japan and South Korea too. The amount of money they earn is gobsmacking.

Especially in cram schools and international schools.
Original post by wolfmoon88
Especially in cram schools and international schools.

Yup they offer to pay for your travel or something.

I'm going to check my application for Amsterdam on Monday!
Original post by Luke7456
thanks for this hmm it seems neither of them are top 100 universities either for maths or in general. I guess they are decent back up options compared to open university which would cost more and give me less. However If I can make it I still want to be able to say I went to a world class university. I guess if i cannot get into a world top 100 this is what I should do.

So this is really helpful and thanks for the reference, this is still the back up option though. Looks like open university is no longer an option this is cheaper.

I just came across this and I thought you would like to know that the University of Amsterdam does offer a course in actuarial sciences in English. If that is what you would like to do in the future in Mathematics, it is also an option. And it fits your wishes of being a top 100 for your subject (At least in QS rankings). Hope this helps :smile:.

http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/bachelor-s-programmes/item/actuarial-science.html
Yup they offer to pay for your travel or something.

I'm going to check my application for Amsterdam on Monday!

From what I heard from my teachers, they also pay for your families to travel with you sometimes. Also gives their children discounts in tuition or sometimes a waiving of tuition fees for their institutions.

Hahaha I haven't sent out my Uni of Amsterdam app yet O.o, should get around to doing that soon. :P
Original post by wolfmoon88
I just came across this and I thought you would like to know that the University of Amsterdam does offer a course in actuarial sciences in English. If that is what you would like to do in the future in Mathematics, it is also an option. And it fits your wishes of being a top 100 for your subject (At least in QS rankings). Hope this helps :smile:.

http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/bachelor-s-programmes/item/actuarial-science.html

thanks for this
hmm if I understand right that is an under graduate degree right?

it seems alright I mean its high mathematical content I assume However whilst I think an actuary is a career I might like I don't know this for a fact yet and it is casting my net a bit narrow to specialize in only that. One of the strengths of a maths degree is how wide it can apply.
Original post by Luke7456
thanks for this
hmm if I understand right that is an under graduate degree right?

it seems alright I mean its high mathematical content I assume However whilst I think an actuary is a career I might like I don't know this for a fact yet and it is casting my net a bit narrow to specialize in only that. One of the strengths of a maths degree is how wide it can apply.

Yeah, it is an undergraduate degree. Hahaha, yeah just providing another option in case you want one :smile: Yeah a pure math degree is a more applicable degree to many different fields.
Right so I'm applying for 5 British universities here in the UK (Nottingham/Glasgow are my aspirational unis but I'd go for Notts since its closer to my hometown). I'm also applying to Dutch universities as well which I've read about a lot and really like the ones I've applied to.

My mind ends up changing every other day and there's pros and cons of going to either a British or a Dutch uni.

Pros of going to a Dutch uni- It's much cheaper, it has my course taught in English, they do internships at publishing houses (which is what I want to go into) and my aspirational Dutch uni is in an amazing city.

Cons of going to a Dutch uni- Holidays are way shorter, workload is incredibly intense in the first year, uni starts on the 1st September and I don't get any student loans (so basically would have to rely on my family for income)

My friends are saying that I'd probably be better off at a Dutch uni but I'm honestly torn between a British uni or a Dutch one. I've applied to my Dutch unis and just need to put in my grades. I'm sending off my UCAS next week.

Any opinions?

@Josb

Dutch unis are very respected, and in general the Dutch are very academically strong. The country itself is amazing, very chilled people, cool cities. Learning another language and living a different culture. I say go for it!
Original post by yudothis
Dutch unis are very respected, and in general the Dutch are very academically strong. The country itself is amazing, very chilled people, cool cities. Learning another language and living a different culture. I say go for it!

It does look pretty amazing tbf. I think I'd grow a lot if I went abroad in comparison to just moving to Nottingham for uni.
Just checked the Dutch version of Track and my application is still in the early stages URGH
@wolfmoon88 Have you applied yet?
@wolfmoon88 Have you applied yet?

Hahaha not yet :P still writing my letter of motivation :frown:
Hii, I just came here and I would like to ask you some questions about Dutch education system, since you seem to know a lot about it, from what I've read!
I want to apply for university in Amsterdam, I am an EU citizen, could you please tell me how much it would cost to me? Does the government give students an economic support or should I pay everything on my own?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MarthaG_
Hii, I just came here and I would like to ask you some questions about Dutch education system, since you seem to know a lot about it, from what I've read!
I want to apply for university in Amsterdam, I am an EU citizen, could you please tell me how much it would cost to me? Does the government give students an economic support or should I pay everything on my own?

Posted from TSR Mobile

EU Citizen from the UK or not?

Quick Reply

Latest