The Student Room Group

Is edexcel worth it?

I was deciding to move to edexcel from cie for doing A levels as I have heard that edexcel is much easy as compared to cie especially the maths. But after browsing some websites i found that some of them claims that cie is a way lot popular than edexcel and cie is recognised in all major universities including oxbridge and all ivy league universities. And some major universities don't recognise edexcel. I have gone through both the qualification recognition pdf files provided by both of them cie and edexcel and I found that cie is recognised by many universities while many universities don't really recognise edexcel. But in some websites I also found that the universities don't really care about examination board including this one.
So which information is correct.
Should I remain with cie or move to edexcel.
If I move will I face any prb as I have been with cie

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure universities don't care what exam board you take your exams on...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
CIE is the international branch of Cambridge Assessment (OCR is its UK equivalent) and is aimed at the international market (i.e. not the UK). Edexcel (taken over by Pearson some years ago so you may find called Pearson in some places) offers A levels in both the UK market and the international market. For UK universities, the exam board you took the exam with is completely irrelevant: it's an A level. However, as CIE is not a domestic exam board they may state that it is acceptable whereas no one would consider that a domestic A level wouldn't be. I can't see why Edexcel wouldn't be acceptable abroad but don't know for certain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Then guys what should I do?
Should I go for edexcel for doing As and A2 for their easier exams or should I remain with cie?
If the unis don't really care about education boards then why some websites claim that some unis don't recognise edexcel qualifications whereas they recognise cie qualification ?
BTW I am an international student from bangladesh (not uk) planning to study in the US after completing A Levels.
Pls throw some light on this matter.
I really want to know if America prefer cie qualification over edexcel ?
Original post by ShababAhmed98
I was deciding to move to edexcel from cie for doing A levels as I have heard that edexcel is much easy as compared to cie especially the maths. But after browsing some websites i found that some of them claims that cie is a way lot popular than edexcel and cie is recognised in all major universities including oxbridge and all ivy league universities. And some major universities don't recognise edexcel. I have gone through both the qualification recognition pdf files provided by both of them cie and edexcel and I found that cie is recognised by many universities while many universities don't really recognise edexcel. But in some websites I also found that the universities don't really care about examination board including this one.
So which information is correct.
Should I remain with cie or move to edexcel.
If I move will I face any prb as I have been with cie

Universities don't give a toss about what exam board you did as long as you meet their requirements.
Original post by tryrevise
I'm pretty sure universities don't care what exam board you take your exams on...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should I go for edexcel for doing As and A2 for their easier exams or should I remain with cie?
If the unis don't really care about education boards then why some websites claim that some unis don't recognise edexcel qualifications whereas they recognise cie qualification ?
BTW I am an international student from bangladesh (not uk) planning to study in the US after completing A Levels.
Original post by Illimitable
Universities don't give a toss about what exam board you did as long as you meet their requirements.

I really want to know if America prefer cie qualification over edexcel ? awe
Original post by Compost
CIE is the international branch of Cambridge Assessment (OCR is its UK equivalent) and is aimed at the international market (i.e. not the UK). Edexcel (taken over by Pearson some years ago so you may find called Pearson in some places) offers A levels in both the UK market and the international market. For UK universities, the exam board you took the exam with is completely irrelevant: it's an A level. However, as CIE is nit a domestic exam board they may state that it is acceptable whereas no one would consider that a domestic A level wouldn't be. I can't see why Edexcel wouldn't be acceptable abroad but don't know for certain.

I really want to know if America prefer cie qualification over edexcel ? awe

To be honest US wouldn't really care if you done CIE or Edexcel. Sure CIE is International but that doesn't make a difference as your still going to have the qualification which is recognised by a whole country.
Reply 9

As i said previously, I cannot imagine why Edexcel would not be acceptable but I have never looked into it, though I have known UK students go to US universities with the usual mix of domestic UK A levels (AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc) and they've been fine. There are US universities that let students in with nothing higher than IGCSEs so the view will vary depending on where you apply - why don't you ask universities you think you may be applying to?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
As i said previously, I cannot imagine why Edexcel would not be acceptable but I have never checked. There are US universities that let students in with nothing higher than IGCSEs so it may depend where you apply - why don't you ask universities you think you may be applying to?

I want to move to edexcel for their easier qualifications
Will I face any prb as I did O levels under CIE?

I just found it on some websites claiming that edexcel is not recognised in many unis across the worls
Original post by Illimitable
To be honest US wouldn't really care if you done CIE or Edexcel. Sure CIE is International but that doesn't make a difference as your still going to have the qualification which is recognised by a whole country.

I just found it on some websites claiming that edexcel is not recognised in many unis across the worls
Original post by tryrevise

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't have any problems and you can move to them if you like.

You can save yourself the hassle CIE brings. In terms of resources you're gonna bleed looking over the internet seeing Edexcel links almost everywhere. I don't want to sound biased - I have tried both exam boards and Edexcel is just so much easier to work with than CIE.

The only one who can accurately answer that are the universities you're interested in applying to. Drop them an email asking and they should be able to clarify everything to you.
Original post by Imperion
You can save yourself the hassle CIE brings. In terms of resources you're gonna bleed looking over the internet seeing Edexcel links almost everywhere. I don't want to sound biased - I have tried both exam boards and Edexcel is just so much easier to work with than CIE.

The only one who can accurately answer that are the universities you're interested in applying to. Drop them an email asking and they should be able to clarify everything to you.

Bro as far as u know is edexcel qualification recognised throughout USA and other countries ?
Also I am new in this site so if I want to address stg to everyone in the discussion will I have to reply the same Msg to everyone?
Original post by Imperion

Bro as far as u know is edexcel qualification recognised throughout USA and other countries ?
Also I am new in this site so if I want to address stg to everyone in the discussion will I have to reply the same Msg to everyone?

No.

Can you reference any of these websites? I find it very surprising if it is the case. You could try having a look here:
https://degreecoursefinder.pearson.com/ as it shows universities that recognise IAL A levels.
Original post by Compost
No.

Can you reference any of these websites? I find it very surprising if it is the case. You could try having a look here:
https://degreecoursefinder.pearson.com/ as it shows universities that recognise IAL A levels.

http://www.igcsecentre.com/what-is-edexcel-international-gcse/
Go in the recognition part .

http://www.cie.org.uk/images/149712-destination-usa.pdf

https://progressionplus.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/international-advanced-level-recognition-20142.pdf

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/btec-brand/BTEC_Parent_Guide_2014_v2.pdf
Go through all these three pdf and at th end u will come to thte conconclusion that cie is aaccepted I in a llarge aamount oF unis
Like as these pdf suggests cie is widely accepted throughout US where as only a few unis accept edexcel acc tto them
This claim is also ssupported by Wikipedia
No such statements are to be found by edexcel wiki site
Go through tte recognition part of cie and edexcel. U will ccome t knknow thatthat cie is acceptad everywhere wwhereas for edexcel nnothing is found regarding recognition iin Wikipedia
You don't seem to be considering that there is a difference between websites saying that don't accept Edexcel and websites not saying that they do - it may be that no one has asked them as Edexcel IAL is relatively recent whereas CIE A levels have been around far longer. There seems little point you asking anyone on here any more - ask the universities you are interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest