The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahCroydon
The UK medical school council quote the 7.9 ratio and WhatDoTheyKnow disclose 1911 applications in 2015 FACT!

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/ApplicationandUKCATdata2016.pdf

this shows 3610 for last years total:

2584 for undergrad
and 1026 for grad = 3610 in total
Reply 261
Original post by Lostperson
sorry i may be a bit dumb here... butfrom what i understand all the places from durham have been shifted to newcastle ..so its not like we are competing for less spots. its the same amount of spots as last year, and the applicants were approx 3600 last year too?

so the ratios can't have shifted that much right?

sorry i know i may be asking a super super dumb question.

You're not being dumb, you're right, the "overall" ratio for the two courses is nearly identical. Of course knowing the breakdown of numbers for each course would be much more useful, so it's difficult to provide any definitive conclusions yet. However, this figure really isn't cause to say the UKCAT cut-off will shoot up.
Original post by Zedna
You're not being dumb, you're right, the "overall" ratio for the two courses is nearly identical. Of course knowing the breakdown of numbers for each course would be much more useful, so it's difficult to provide any definitive conclusions yet. However, this figure really isn't cause to say the UKCAT cut-off will shoot up.

i hope I'm safe with 700 ...
does anyone know when they start sending out invites to interviews?
Reply 264
Original post by Lou1228
does anyone know when they start sending out invites to interviews?

Last year it was the 10th November :redface:
Original post by Zedna

Ahhhh quite soon then haha was expecting it to be around December, may the odds be ever in our favour haha
Reply 266
Original post by Lou1228
Ahhhh quite soon then haha was expecting it to be around December, may the odds be ever in our favour haha

I guess it's because Newcastle literally ranks everyone by UKCAT and then invites the top ~% to interview, unlike the er more complicated procedures of some other places :biggrin:
Yeah good luck! Where else have you applied?
Original post by Zedna

I would love to receive an interview that early :lol:
Reply 268
Original post by Gogregg
I would love to receive an interview that early :lol:

I know - I've applied to Birmingham too and that's also when they started giving out interviews last year... if I got two interviews on the same day so early I'd cry (with mixed happiness & shock) :biggrin:
Original post by Zedna
I know - I've applied to Birmingham too and that's also when they started giving out interviews last year... if I got two interviews on the same day so early I'd cry (with mixed happiness & shock) :biggrin:

I just really want to hear dead early so I can stop worrying
I think all my choices offer some December interviews (Dundee, UEA, QMUL), but I'm not completely certain, I think I'll mostly be hearing back in the new year, though, which is somewhat annoying :lol:

Where else did you apply? :h:
Reply 270
Original post by Gogregg
I just really want to hear dead early so I can stop worrying
I think all my choices offer some December interviews (Dundee, UEA, QMUL), but I'm not completely certain, I think I'll mostly be hearing back in the new year, though, which is somewhat annoying :lol:

Where else did you apply? :h:

The thing is I'm not too bothered about whether I get a Newcastle interview early because hopefully I'll be able to see on here that my score is above the cut-off so I know I'll get one at some point. A part of me wants to get them done ASAP though so I can concentrate on making sure I actually get the A-Level grades...
Oxford and Nottingham - obviously I know when I'll be hearing from Oxford but given how the BMAT prep is going I don't think it will be good news :redface: Nottingham has Dec interviews too I think but it takes them a bit longer since they score the PS.
Original post by Zedna
The thing is I'm not too bothered about whether I get a Newcastle interview early because hopefully I'll be able to see on here that my score is above the cut-off so I know I'll get one at some point. A part of me wants to get them done ASAP though so I can concentrate on making sure I actually get the A-Level grades...
Oxford and Nottingham - obviously I know when I'll be hearing from Oxford but given how the BMAT prep is going I don't think it will be good news :redface: Nottingham has Dec interviews too I think but it takes them a bit longer since they score the PS.

It sounds bad, but I'm certain my UKCAT score will be above the cut-off, so this was a very safe choice for me which meant I will get at least one interview, which is fine because Newcastle is dead nice :colondollar:
Good luck on Wednesday!
Reply 272
Original post by Gogregg
It sounds bad, but I'm certain my UKCAT score will be above the cut-off, so this was a very safe choice for me which meant I will get at least one interview, which is fine because Newcastle is dead nice :colondollar:
Good luck on Wednesday!

I have a 727 average which given the averages this year I'm fairly sure will be enough, but you never know... this whole application process has made me paranoid :tongue: Yeah I saw your score before I think, crazy high well done :biggrin:
Thank you!
Original post by Zedna
I guess it's because Newcastle literally ranks everyone by UKCAT and then invites the top ~% to interview, unlike the er more complicated procedures of some other places :biggrin:
Yeah good luck! Where else have you applied?

i've applied to Leicester, Sheffield and Manchester too, i am just preparing myself for a long few months haha, how about you? wondered what the UKCAT cut off will be,
Anyone applied through PARTNERS? I emailed and last year the cut off for the PARTNERS applicants was 600. Do i stand a good chance this year with 660?
I've been accepted onto the Partners program but my UKCAT is 680
Do you think i'll have a chance at the medical school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sharmiin1226
I've been accepted onto the Partners program but my UKCAT is 680
Do you think i'll have a change at the medical school?

Well last year it was 600 so we should be alright. The year when cut off went crazy the partners cut off was 675 so with averages going down from a year when cut off was 600 i think we stand a very good chance. Unless we get ridiculously unlucky of course and they set a 700+ one for a laugh haha
Original post by chrisdale98
Well last year it was 600 so we should be alright. The year when cut off went crazy the partners cut off was 675 so with averages going down from a year when cut off was 600 i think we stand a very good chance. Unless we get ridiculously unlucky of course and they set a 700+ one for a laugh haha

fingers crossed its fine for the both of us and we get an interview, I'm so bloody nervous
Original post by Sharmiin1226
fingers crossed its fine for the both of us and we get an interview, I'm so bloody nervous

I think the cut off for the normal course last year was 682.5 so... I'm sure u will be safe with a 680 for the partners course.

I have 700 and applied for the normal course. I'm hopeful..
Reply 279
Original post by chrisdale98

I thought being a PARTNERS candidate only gave you a lower A-level cutoff? They say on their website's PARTNERS video that the same UKCAT cutoffs apply:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/schools/partners/

I'm assuming they must've changed this if they've emailed you? Is there anyone who can confirm they got a lower UKCAT cutoff? :smile:

I'm curious as I'm a PARTNERS applicant too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending