The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hco786
we you asked more than onie example

I think, based on what I know if civil service competency interviews, that you will only be asked for additional examples if your first doesn't quite meet the behaviours for the comptency I am going in with one solid scenario for each competency, and then an additional. You need to really know your examples well and also know the behaviours. You can't go too far wrong if you do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 701
thanks when is your interview and do you have a lot of prior work experience
Original post by hco786
thanks when is your interview and do you have a lot of prior work experience

My interview is on the 9th. Yes I suppose I do really either in the civil service previously for 8 years and then on education for 6. I'm really old 😂
Reply 703
how old lol wish you all the best
Original post by PapaSmurf46
same for me, has anyone for Belfast been given an interview?

Everyone seems to be on hold from the messages that I saw

I signed up on Wednesday after receiving an email saying I'd been successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My interview is Tuesday in Cardiff. Today is a big prep day for me! I feel I have one solid example for each, plus back ups. I'm taking notes, bullet points on prompt cards but only to refer to if nerves get the better of me. Thank you to everyone who has already gone through it and offered an insight into the questions and format. I wish everyone the best of luck and hopefully some of us will be working side by side in the near future!
Reply 706
do u have alot of work ex
Original post by hco786
do u have alot of work ex

10 years in the energy industry after graduating from Uni. I don't think it matters where you draw your experience from though and how much or how little work experience you have, as long as the subject matter you talk about drmonstrates what they are looking for, and you can speak about it confidently and with passion. When is your interview? :smile:
Original post by katchooon
10 years in the energy industry after graduating from Uni. I don't think it matters where you draw your experience from though and how much or how little work experience you have, as long as the subject matter you talk about drmonstrates what they are looking for, and you can speak about it confidently and with passion. When is your interview? :smile:

I think you are exactly right. The best thing you can do to prepare is know what each comptency expects of you. Then no question will be a surprise. Any secondary questions will only be based on those competencies.
Reply 709
how many words are you answers have you timed yourself
I haven't timed anything or done a word count as I believe it will be quite a conversational interview (may be wrong?). I believe that 45 minutes is allowed for the interview from start to finish which consists of ice breakers, competency questions and room for questions at the end. Currently practising with my other half posing as the interviewer! Good luck :smile:
Reply 711
Good luck to you too what kind of scenario is your delivering a pace comp
I went for an EO interview for a graduate job at the Dept for Education on Friday.

Really enjoyed the interview, I was asked one question per competency and then they asked one or two follow up questions which honed in on my thought processes and anything I would have done differently etc..
That doesn't seem like it should take 45 minutes, haha. Maybe time flies in interviews..
Reply 714
what kind of scenario is your delivering at pace comp
My delivering at pace example is about working to a deadline detailing the impact of meeting/not meeting and obstacles overcome etc. All folowing STAR method. Timed my whole lot of prep out loud, lasted 20mins..guessing they will eek it out with questions! Have you timed yours? You are not giving much away haha!
Reply 716
hi no havent times myself delivering at pace seems to be the most difficult of the comps
did anyone have their interviews today in cardiff
I've found the prep for this interview to be the most stressful interview prep in my life. With all the info you're given, I feel like I should be able to cover all bases but somehow I still feel like I can't, haha.

Anyone know how the Leading & Communicating competency is assessed? I assume they look for it in your answers to the other 3 comps but I guess it could also be just your general interview manner and how clearly you communicate to them?
Guys, can anyone please remind me of the 2 competency based questions that we had to give an answer for in the application? I didn't save them down, and my interview is tomorrow.. stressed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a peanisbreath
I've found the prep for this interview to be the most stressful interview prep in my life. With all the info you're given, I feel like I should be able to cover all bases but somehow I still feel like I can't, haha.

Anyone know how the Leading & Communicating competency is assessed? I assume they look for it in your answers to the other 3 comps but I guess it could also be just your general interview manner and how clearly you communicate to them?

I think that its asessed more by how you speak to them during the interview bud. I believe it says in the candidate pack that you're asessed on speaking with clarity, convicition and confidence. I imagine that they probably draw from your other competencies to get an overall asessment of how you communicate. I agree about the prep actually I found it all a little stressful too !