The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
TRY this, draw that circle, the interior including boundary is the points that satisfy it.
Now draw line x+y=k

is it b?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mystery.
Thank you, did you just try coordinates to see? like (-1,0) (1,0)

Also is the answer A to this :

Well I thought more about how for any given x you can have either the positive or negative value of y, so the x axis must be a line of symmetry.

For the question i'm quoting now, I personally thought of it as a circle, and ended up with b doing it like that.
Original post by physicsmaths
People get in with really low scores but no way its the average.
Check this official info out.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mat_scores_mathematics_degrees
So people who sat the 2014 paper for 2015 entry.
Average score of all Imperial applicants:51
Average score of successful: 66
So nkt 20 marks lower.
My friend got a 3A* offer this year for getting 48 in mat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait so doesn't that make the average score of Imperial applicants higher than Oxford ones? trippy
Reply 783
Original post by CaiusMartius
wait so doesn't that make the average score of Imperial applicants higher than Oxford ones? trippy

Not perhaps that surprising. You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge both, so there will be a lot of Imperial applicants who are Cambridge, rather than Oxford applicants. Also Imperial don't interview - so it's perfectly possible to get an offer from Oxford with a moderate MAT score and good interviews. Imperial are more reliant on the test.

PS Also looking now at the data, the average across all Imperial applicants was higher than Oxford's but the average amongst successful applicants was quite a bit lower.
(edited 7 years ago)
Would I get any marks for 2015 Q2 (v) for this?
To be a cube number, k3+2k2+2k+1=(k+a)3k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 = (k + a)^3
Clearly a=1a = 1 and hence for k3+2k2+2k+1k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 to be a cubed number, it must be equal to (k+1)3(k + 1)^3

However, (k+1)3=k3+3k2+3k+1k3+2k2+2k+1(k + 1)^3 = k^3 + 3k^2 + 3k + 1 \neq k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 and hence k3+2k2+2k+1k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 is not a cube number.

Also, can someone explain why the same Q2 part (iv) uses 3201522015=(3525)()3^{2015} - 2^{2015} = (3^5 - 2^5)(\dots) when we established in (i) that an+1bn+1=(ab)()a^{n + 1} - b^{n + 1} = (a - b)(\dots) - n=2014n = 2014?

Original post by some-student
Would I get any marks for 2015 Q2 (v) for this?
To be a cube number, k3+2k2+2k+1=(k+a)3k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 = (k + a)^3
Clearly a=1a = 1 and hence for k3+2k2+2k+1k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 to be a cubed number, it must be equal to (k+1)3(k + 1)^3

However, (k+1)3=k3+3k2+3k+1k3+2k2+2k+1(k + 1)^3 = k^3 + 3k^2 + 3k + 1 \neq k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 and hence k3+2k2+2k+1k^3 + 2k^2 + 2k + 1 is not a cube number.

Also, can someone explain why the same Q2 part (iv) uses 3201522015=(3525)()3^{2015} - 2^{2015} = (3^5 - 2^5)(\dots) when we established in (i) that an+1bn+1=(ab)()a^{n + 1} - b^{n + 1} = (a - b)(\dots) - n=2014n = 2014?

Seems fine for full marks for part V, maybe state that it's because the expansion ends in +1?

And there's no reason not to use the expansion of part i, so they did.
Original post by RichE
Not perhaps that surprising. You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge both, so there will be a lot of Imperial applicants who are Cambridge, rather than Oxford applicants. Also Imperial don't interview - so it's perfectly possible to get an offer from Oxford with a moderate MAT score and good interviews. Imperial are more reliant on the test.

PS Also looking now at the data, the average across all Imperial applicants was higher than Oxford's but the average amongst successful applicants was quite a bit lower.

Yup, that was me last year.
Original post by RuairiMorrissey
Seems fine for full marks for part V, maybe state that it's because the expansion ends in +1?

Original post by RuairiMorrissey

is the answer a ?

What was the answer to this?
Original post by Nonamebzja
What was the answer to this?

There is no mark scheme.
Anyone know the answer to this ?
There is no mark scheme.

Oh

X and y look equal

I'm assuming only one of them is correct? In which case x = y as angles subtended from the same arc are equal, therefore x+y=2x
There is no mark scheme.

I think its b

(this is probably wrong because other people got a different answer, oh well)
I extended AP and BQ out of the circle until they touched (lets say at point 'S') and formed a kite shape. From there i said that angle RPS= pi - x (because angles on a straight line = pi) and from that i said that angle RQS= pi - (pi - x)= x (opposite angles in a kite add to pi). Finally, since RQB and RQS are on a straight line, they equal pi too, Therefore my answer is 'x + y = pi'.

Can someone please check if this is wrong or right please? I feel like ive definitely made a mistake here
Original post by AGFilsell
(this is probably wrong because other people got a different answer, oh well)
I extended AP and BQ out of the circle until they touched (lets say at point 'S':wink: and formed a kite shape. From there i said that angle RPS= pi - x (because angles on a straight line = pi) and from that i said that angle RQS= pi - (pi - x)= x (opposite angles in a kite add to pi). Finally, since RQB and RQS are on a straight line, they equal pi too, Therefore my answer is 'x + y = pi'.

Can someone please check if this is wrong or right please? I feel like ive definitely made a mistake here

That's what I did too.
Can anyone go through the 2005 multiple choice answers with me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 798
Could someone explain q2 part IV of the 2015 paper? I dont understand how you can factorise it the way the mark scheme has
cheersss
Original post by theaverage
Can anyone go through the 2005 multiple choice answers with me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am just doing it, what did you get?

Latest

Trending

Trending