The Student Room Group

Prep for interview at McDonalds

Hi all,

Got a interview at McDonalds very soon, and an OJE (On-Job Evaluation).

I am trying to prepare for potential tough interview questions.

The recruiter lady said that the question of: "If you were a brand, what brand would you be?" is fairly common.

How would I answer this effectively? I have been pondering over it, but how can I make it seem legitimate without mumbling or creating some wacky out of the box storyline?

I am really nervous because actually I am very introverted/quiet, though have experience. I am hoping I get the job. :smile:
Just be like Big macs are bae and you'll get the job. I swear
Original post by TheSexyApple
Just be like Big macs are bae and you'll get the job. I swear

It aint that easy to get a job there you know
Original post by royal1990
Hi all,

The recruiter lady said that the question of: "If you were a brand, what brand would you be?" is fairly common.

How would I answer this effectively? I have been pondering over it, but how can I make it seem legitimate without mumbling or creating some wacky out of the box storyline?

I am really nervous because actually I am very introverted/quiet, though have experience. I am hoping I get the job. :smile:

Ive never heard of anyone at mcdonalds being asked that question before. But from mine and other peoples experience, they usually ask about what sort of hours you are looking for, what (if any) experience you have (e.g. jobs/volunteering), your studies, what you do in your spare time (e.g. clubs/societies).
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive never heard of anyone at mcdonalds being asked that question before. But from mine and other peoples experience, they usually ask about what sort of hours you are looking for, what (if any) experience you have (e.g. jobs/volunteering), your studies, what you do in your spare time (e.g. clubs/societies).

Just got back from my OJE and interview. Went terrible :/ Or at least I feel that way.

Walked in ten mins early, started stuttering immediately upon telling the lady behind till I was there for an OJE. She had to ask me again.

Then had to wait for ten mins upstairs whilst various members of staff walked to and fro into staff room, while sat there in my suit (like a sore thumb!).

A lady them walked by and assertively said "hello you here for interview...do they know your here?" I obviously said yes, and while I wasn't too sure, I believe she said follow me, or come with me. But murmured it. Because I was nervous I kind of second guessed myself...I could feel my body shaking and I felt I'd 'well up'. Anyways I just froze still she went through the door after punching in the code.

I sat there for like an additional 5 mins. The time ticked by and I was getting more nervous.

Shortly thereafter, a lady came through told me to come through (as I explained to her a lady had spoken to me earlier), just as I turned a corner into the staff room I was met with a group of staff members that looked disgruntled. So I pissed them off I presumed.

I was then hauled into the front of house, told to shout out nos. on tickets and then scan the tickets. After a few go's I got hang of it, but I looked out of place in my white shirt, black trousers. Wasn't sure if I came across as stuck up.

While the staff were accommodating, (particularly one of them- who was lovely, jovial and put me at ease), the others were somewhat blunt and very sort of 'rushy'. Felt as though I was chucked in deep end.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I was told by a staff member that "oh your supposed to have an interview with so and so...but you never prompted me to tell me...". I was sat their kinda like "I was supposed to remind you?"

She hurriedly gave me directions to the office where I was to have the interview. So I made my way up.

The whole experience seemed disjointed and 'slap dash' something I'm not used too. Not that I'm a 'stuffy' person. I am just used to be told what to do, used to structure and can come off as formal. But I prefer this as at least I am not second-guessing myself or getting anxious.

Not that the experience wasn't an eye opener or not positive. It was. Just very very alien.

Upon finding the managers office, she immediately began telling me about herself as soon as the door opened. Almost talked at me.

I had just walked in and sat on the chair and she'd already finished telling me about herself/her history with company. She didn't seem interested and the whole interview seemed hurried or as though they were behind schedule.

Asked me numerous questions; What does respect mean to you? If you were a brand which would you be? What qualities do you think we look for or keep us happy? What is better a friendly or fast service? Why are you leaving your current employer? What made you apply to McDonalds?

Some answers I gave were OK, one particular question I thought I'd answered well (at least salvageable) and the rest I did horrendous. Now to wait if I got the job.

I really want this job- just under a lot of stress because I've just moved across the country and need work.
Reply 5
Did you get the job? Best of luck to you! I just had an interview which I thought did terrible at but ended up getting the job. You may just be over critical of yourself and did better than you think. And if not don't worry, there will be plenty of other opportunities to come.
Reply 6
Hi all,

Just updating.

I didn't get the job :/

All of that build up in the recruitment process; feeling like I'd achieved something, getting through the group interview and getting to the final stages- for an anti-climax, consisting of another 'rejection email'.

"Sorry but on this occasion you were unsuccessful. Due to high volume of applications we receive McDonalds are not able to provide feedback on your application".

I suppose for me, it was a bit of a gamble, i'm not the most confident of people and that probably showed in the on job evaluation. Though the interview was slightly nerving, I guess maybe I answered a few questions the wrong way, or perhaps another candidate was better.

I don't know. It still sucks, as much as folk have told me not to take it too personally.

When I went for my group interview I was competing with young teenage A-Level students (dressed in jeans/t-shirts) whom seemed very kind of jovial and mostly were part-timers; probably not a serious job candidate by any stretch. In comparison to myself, whom went dressed in a suit, projected a professional image, explained why I wanted to work for McDonalds (in the longer term), showed an interest in Media/Advertising roles within the company as a graduate. I also mentioned I had 8 years experience in dealing with customers in hospitality.

Frustrating to no end, that I potentially may have lost out to some half cop A-Level student, whom may/may not have taken the job as seriously. Not that I am perfect for the job, and to be honest it was to be a 'bill paying job'. However, if they offered me a place on the graduate scheme or a job in my degree field, I'd take it.

Anyhow, I'm sort of sat here feeling a bit deflated and frustrated that I cannot make the move sooner. Still looking for jobs.
Reply 7
Original post by scsa
Did you get the job? Best of luck to you! I just had an interview which I thought did terrible at but ended up getting the job. You may just be over critical of yourself and did better than you think. And if not don't worry, there will be plenty of other opportunities to come.

Hi, no unfortunately I didn't. I thought I'd done terrible, and most likely did.

People keep saying; 'don't take it personally; they probably just found someone more suitable':- however, how can one not take it seriously. I lost out to somebody else.

Interestingly my interview was for a McDonalds in the Manchester area, and I see your from that area?
Reply 8
Hi, no unfortunately I didn't. I thought I'd done terrible, and most likely did.

People keep saying; 'don't take it personally; they probably just found someone more suitable':- however, how can one not take it seriously. I lost out to somebody else.

Interestingly my interview was for a McDonalds in the Manchester area, and I see your from that area?

Well, you're not alone. Many have been rejected for McDonalds, they get so many applicants. You'll find something eventually, best thing is to not give up.

Mine is an office job which just seems perfect for me right now. I was unemployed for a year and also got rejected for KFC and other retail jobs, so I understand what you're going through. Other (maybe better) doors will open.
Just got back from my OJE and interview. Went terrible :/ Or at least I feel that way.

Walked in ten mins early, started stuttering immediately upon telling the lady behind till I was there for an OJE. She had to ask me again.

Then had to wait for ten mins upstairs whilst various members of staff walked to and fro into staff room, while sat there in my suit (like a sore thumb!).

A lady them walked by and assertively said "hello you here for interview...do they know your here?" I obviously said yes, and while I wasn't too sure, I believe she said follow me, or come with me. But murmured it. Because I was nervous I kind of second guessed myself...I could feel my body shaking and I felt I'd 'well up'. Anyways I just froze still she went through the door after punching in the code.

I sat there for like an additional 5 mins. The time ticked by and I was getting more nervous.

Shortly thereafter, a lady came through told me to come through (as I explained to her a lady had spoken to me earlier), just as I turned a corner into the staff room I was met with a group of staff members that looked disgruntled. So I pissed them off I presumed.

I was then hauled into the front of house, told to shout out nos. on tickets and then scan the tickets. After a few go's I got hang of it, but I looked out of place in my white shirt, black trousers. Wasn't sure if I came across as stuck up.

While the staff were accommodating, (particularly one of them- who was lovely, jovial and put me at ease), the others were somewhat blunt and very sort of 'rushy'. Felt as though I was chucked in deep end.

After what seemed like a lifetime, I was told by a staff member that "oh your supposed to have an interview with so and so...but you never prompted me to tell me...". I was sat their kinda like "I was supposed to remind you?"

She hurriedly gave me directions to the office where I was to have the interview. So I made my way up.

The whole experience seemed disjointed and 'slap dash' something I'm not used too. Not that I'm a 'stuffy' person. I am just used to be told what to do, used to structure and can come off as formal. But I prefer this as at least I am not second-guessing myself or getting anxious.

Not that the experience wasn't an eye opener or not positive. It was. Just very very alien.

Upon finding the managers office, she immediately began telling me about herself as soon as the door opened. Almost talked at me.

I had just walked in and sat on the chair and she'd already finished telling me about herself/her history with company. She didn't seem interested and the whole interview seemed hurried or as though they were behind schedule.

Asked me numerous questions; What does respect mean to you? If you were a brand which would you be? What qualities do you think we look for or keep us happy? What is better a friendly or fast service? Why are you leaving your current employer? What made you apply to McDonalds?

Some answers I gave were OK, one particular question I thought I'd answered well (at least salvageable) and the rest I did horrendous. Now to wait if I got the job.

I really want this job- just under a lot of stress because I've just moved across the country and need work.

Don't worry, it's only MDs don't let it get to you it's natural to be nervous.
Hi all,

I've worked at McDonald's from when I was 16 to 18, only just quit my job couple months ago.
If you're on the tills, as long as you speak some form of English they will hire you. Half of the people at my McDonald's could barely construct a coherence sentence together in English.
Your actual response doesn't matter at all as long as you don't say something completely off.
Hi all,

Just updating.

I didn't get the job :/

All of that build up in the recruitment process; feeling like I'd achieved something, getting through the group interview and getting to the final stages- for an anti-climax, consisting of another 'rejection email'.

"Sorry but on this occasion you were unsuccessful. Due to high volume of applications we receive McDonalds are not able to provide feedback on your application".

I suppose for me, it was a bit of a gamble, i'm not the most confident of people and that probably showed in the on job evaluation. Though the interview was slightly nerving, I guess maybe I answered a few questions the wrong way, or perhaps another candidate was better.

I don't know. It still sucks, as much as folk have told me not to take it too personally.

When I went for my group interview I was competing with young teenage A-Level students (dressed in jeans/t-shirts) whom seemed very kind of jovial and mostly were part-timers; probably not a serious job candidate by any stretch. In comparison to myself, whom went dressed in a suit, projected a professional image, explained why I wanted to work for McDonalds (in the longer term), showed an interest in Media/Advertising roles within the company as a graduate. I also mentioned I had 8 years experience in dealing with customers in hospitality.

Frustrating to no end, that I potentially may have lost out to some half cop A-Level student, whom may/may not have taken the job as seriously. Not that I am perfect for the job, and to be honest it was to be a 'bill paying job'. However, if they offered me a place on the graduate scheme or a job in my degree field, I'd take it.

Anyhow, I'm sort of sat here feeling a bit deflated and frustrated that I cannot make the move sooner. Still looking for jobs.

I can see why you didn't get it. A full out suit to a Mcdonald's interview?! I went to mine with a casual Tshirt and jeans and got the job.
It seems to me that you were just overqualified. You should have just acted normal
Hi so I know this post is from a while ago, but I've got a McDonalds interview with an OJE and am kind of freaking out over what to do. I've only ever had one interview (I didn't get the job) and one trial run (I did get the job, but only over summer) I really want this job as I'm 16 and want to save up money for a car and lessons. Do you have any tips on what I should wear (black trousers and black shoes were specified but a certain top wasn't). Also any advice on the OJE and interview questions. I'm quite shy but I'm going to try to be as confident as I can during the interview and trial
Reply 13
Original post by Erinl12345
Hi so I know this post is from a while ago, but I've got a McDonalds interview with an OJE and am kind of freaking out over what to do. I've only ever had one interview (I didn't get the job) and one trial run (I did get the job, but only over summer) I really want this job as I'm 16 and want to save up money for a car and lessons. Do you have any tips on what I should wear (black trousers and black shoes were specified but a certain top wasn't). Also any advice on the OJE and interview questions. I'm quite shy but I'm going to try to be as confident as I can during the interview and trial

Attire for your OJE is usual black shoes, black trousers and a white button up shirt. In other words, business attire without the suit jacket.

Also, with regards your questions; I'd make it seem like your really enthusiastic for the job. Throw in a few good customer service related experiences or demonstrate what you would do to make it a unique experience. They may ask you about McDonalds values and such and what is most important. Most of all, its common sense.

Now, on to my actual experiences of working for McDonalds. I wouldn't work there forever! It's okay if your a student or you after some cash. But working their full time will completely destroy your self-esteem.

At the store I am at it is very cliquey. Managers can be bullies, and your either liked or your not. I've had workers **** me off while I'm just round the corner.

Its just not a very nice place to work, luckily i'm a uni graduate and looking for jobs still. Hopefully I'll find something soon.

I'd plan an exit strategy or use as a stepping stone to something else, should you get a job there. Good luck.
Hi don't know if you have had it yet but I just had an interview for macdonalds today!! It said on the website to wear 'a light coloured blouse and smart black trousers or a skirt, and black shoes' I wore a baby pink blouse, full black skinny jeans and some ballerina flats, hair back but in a nice style, and not too over the top makeup, she said I looked great.
As for questions, she did ask me about the if I could be a brand, and just make sure the brand is similar to you and how you like things in your life. Eg, open, spacious, quiet, etc. One question she asked I could say I could have predicted but did not prepare for was any research on the business. I told her my mum worked there in the 80's yet their brand values haven't changed, still want good customer service and serve quality food. Just be bubbly, friendly and smile! She also asked me if I had siblings and what I liked to do with my family, just tell them all the interesting things about you! I'm still waiting to hear back but good luck if you haven't been already! X
I got my interview tomorrow bit nervous any tips??
Yeah they do ask that question because i got asked it today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending