Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
EU Citizen from the UK or not?

Nope, I'm Italian 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MarthaG_
Nope, I'm Italian 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are looking for English Language Courses, the University of Amsterdam has 13 taught English Language Courses at the Undergraduate Level (I assume you are applying for undergraduate degrees?)

Actuarial Science, Business Administration, Communication Science, Econometrics and Operations Research, Economics & Business Economics, European Studies, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Linguistics, Literary Cultural Analysis, Media and Information, Political Science; Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics, and Sign Language Linguistics.

Other than the Liberal Arts and Sciences program and the PPLE program, the other programs have a fixed statutory tuition fee of 1984 Euros. The Liberal Arts and Sciences program's tuition is 4154 Euros and the PPLE program's tuition is 3968 Euros.(For EU Students)

Umm I do not know much about funding from government since I am a non-EU international student. Perhaps @MrsSheldonCooper will know more. From what I heard studies are mostly self-funded.

Links:

Tuition Fees: http://student.uva.nl/en/az/content/tuition-fees/tuition-fees.html

Bachelor Programmes in English in UvA: http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/bachelor-s-programmes/bachelor-s-programmes.html

How to find other English Language programmes in Europe: http://www.eunicas.ie/
Hope this helps :smile: Sorry I could not help more with the funding stuff. :tongue:
Hii, I just came here and I would like to ask you some questions about Dutch education system, since you seem to know a lot about it, from what I've read!
I want to apply for university in Amsterdam, I am an EU citizen, could you please tell me how much it would cost to me? Does the government give students an economic support or should I pay everything on my own?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since you're an EU citizen you pay about 1984 euros or something but you can get a student loan from the govt :smile:
If you are looking for English Language Courses, the University of Amsterdam has 13 taught English Language Courses at the Undergraduate Level (I assume you are applying for undergraduate degrees?)

Actuarial Science, Business Administration, Communication Science, Econometrics and Operations Research, Economics & Business Economics, European Studies, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Linguistics, Literary Cultural Analysis, Media and Information, Political Science; Politics, Psychology, Law and Economics, and Sign Language Linguistics.

Other than the Liberal Arts and Sciences program and the PPLE program, the other programs have a fixed statutory tuition fee of 1984 Euros. The Liberal Arts and Sciences program's tuition is 4154 Euros and the PPLE program's tuition is 3968 Euros.(For EU Students)

Umm I do not know much about funding from government since I am a non-EU international student. Perhaps @MrsSheldonCooper will know more. From what I heard studies are mostly self-funded.

Links:

Tuition Fees: http://student.uva.nl/en/az/content/tuition-fees/tuition-fees.html

Bachelor Programmes in English in UvA: http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/bachelor-s-programmes/bachelor-s-programmes.html

How to find other English Language programmes in Europe: http://www.eunicas.ie/
Hope this helps :smile: Sorry I could not help more with the funding stuff. :tongue:

Thanks a lot for your help!! May I ask you a question about the courses? I am interested in literature and humanities, do you think Literary Cultural Analysis is the right choice for me?
Is the selection very strict? And are the studies in Dutch universities very hard to handle? Sorry if I am bothering you 🙊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Since you're an EU citizen you pay about 1984 euros or something but you can get a student loan from the govt :smile:

I was planning to pay university on my own but at the same time I wanted to work several days at week, do you think I could do that or may it be too hard to handle, considering the studies and everything? 🤔 Otherwise I wouldn't know how to maintain myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for your help!! May I ask you a question about the courses? I am interested in literature and humanities, do you think Literary Cultural Analysis is the right choice for me?
Is the selection very strict? And are the studies in Dutch universities very hard to handle? Sorry if I am bothering you 🙊

Posted from TSR Mobile

The selection isn't that strict unless you're applying for Medicine (they pick you at random then). Have you looked at European studies? They have a European Literature module. That was my first choice then I decided to apply for Linguistics.

Workload is manageable but there's regular monthly exams so you do need to revise obviously :smile:
I was planning to pay university on my own but at the same time I wanted to work several days at week, do you think I could do that or may it be too hard to handle, considering the studies and everything? 🤔 Otherwise I wouldn't know how to maintain myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a grant if you work a certain number of hours per month but they don't really recommend it because of the workload. Maybe take a year out or get summer jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite honestly, I am also an applicant this year so I do not know whether the studies are very hard to handle or not... I would think that university anywhere would be challenging.

I would think that Literary and Cultural Analysis or Liberal Arts and Sciences are the courses that you are looking for :smile: if you want more of a focus on Literature and Humanities though I think Literary and Cultural Analysis is the right choice.

No not at all :smile: I am glad to help :tongue:
Quite honestly, I am also an applicant this year so I do not know whether the studies are very hard to handle or not... I would think that university anywhere would be challenging.

I would think that Literary and Cultural Analysis or Liberal Arts and Sciences are the courses that you are looking for :smile: if you want more of a focus on Literature and Humanities though I think Literary and Cultural Analysis is the right choice.

No not at all :smile: I am glad to help :tongue:

Bebs what did you think of the Dutch freshers week vid I sent you?

Pretty cool :smile: they seemed to have a lot of fun! The city of Amsterdam is like their playground :smile: :tongue:
@wolfmoon88 Just checked my tracking on the application and it says "Admission decision"

Hey can you send me that vid?
I fell in love with the Netherlands my freshmen year of high school(even though I've never been there) I told myself that I would apply to at least three universities. My plan is to apply to University of Amsterdam(of course, but expensive), University of Groningen(great city so I've heard) and Uni of Maastricht ( Really close to Germany and Belgium). As a non-eu student from the US the tuition is significantly lower l'll only play about €10,000 plus another €10000 on housing and whatever. Id be saving at least €40000 all together compared to the US. I live in a single parent household and my mom will be happy with the price. The schools I'm applying to in the US are going to cost at least $25,000 for tuition excluding housing.I found some good schools here at a the price, compared to the $35,000 my mom thought she would be paying.
I'm also applying to one uni in Canada (Mcgill) and five in the UK. Which will still be kind of expensive but better compared to the US. So price wise in order from most affordable to least: Netherlands, Canada, United Kingdom, and United States.
Of course price isnt the only reason I'm applying. Language learning is a big thing for me. I like the proximity to France and Belgium (the language I'm currently learning.) In Maastricht, I could learn German since it's so close. Also I think it's Groningon that has the French speaking neiborhood.
Honestly, I think it would be the best experience and employers will like the international experience I'll have. I saw that someone talked about employabilty. I'm pretty sure you'll only have that problem if your trying to become a Doctor or a Lawyer( unless it's an international law course.) In the UK, US and Canada I've chosen International Relations.However in the Netherlands I've chosen European Studes oe European Languages and Cultures (Maastricht). They Have an IR course but at most of the schools I didnt like how some were described. I plan on working internationaly (obvs) so having a degree from outside my country will be beneficial.
My plan is Bachelors: Netherlands ( more time to study the language) Masters( UK or maybe US) then work experience (prob Peace Corps for two yrs) then MAYBE get a PhD which ld do in the US.
One thing I'm looking forward to is the biking culture. I'm literally against driving like, I usually walk or take the bus. I just dont see myslf driving, Ill prob be really bad at it.
Housing wise, I looked on Uni of Groningen website. The have a whole page on the best areas of the city to live for students qhich has been super helpful. I'll prob end up living with a mix of international and national students.
Cuture Shock... I'm worried about that a bit. I figure the biggest shock will be the language, but I'd prob get over that quickly. Like I've literally been living my whole life around spanish speakers and that hasnt been a prob. (California, you'd think everyone here would be fluent but nope.)
I think as long as I get involved in sports and clubs (societies, cant remember what they call them in NL. Ill be fine.
My Mom will probably be behind my decision. Like she let my older brother go to war torn countries in the Air Force for four years. What's the difference? I'll be spending three or four years in europe.
Haven't started the app yet, just signed up for studielink and all I have to do for UCAS is put in my test scores and pay.
Sorry this became really long. l just wanted to contribute. So all in all I'm for going to Dutch Unis. I just feel I can't give a decision on which is better because I haven't been to unis in either places.
@wolfmoon88 Just checked my tracking on the application and it says "Admission decision"

Woah congrats... so fast :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that if you work about 50 hours a month you can get some kind of funding. From what I've read, working that many hours may not be a good idea. Your supposed to spend a good amount of time outside of class studying. I plan to work while I'm there too.
Original post by Day_dreamer4life
I know that if you work about 50 hours a month you can get some kind of funding. From what I've read, working that many hours may not be a good idea. Your supposed to spend a good amount of time outside of class studying. I plan to work while I'm there too.

Are you from the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you from the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, west coast.
Yep, west coast.

Dope, are you applying to UCs or like unis in the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dope, are you applying to UCs or like unis in the US?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually did fill out the UC app. The problem is the personal insight questions have me stumped. They used to have a personal statement to write. But they changed it to four questions you choose from eight. You have to write a paragraph(?) For each. So I stopped there and havent looked at it in about two months. I chose Santa Barbara, Davis, San Diego, and Irvine. Might still apply if I could figure out what to write.
Other than those applying to maybe to CSU schools, San Diego State and Cal State Long Beach. Also two thers out of state, Washington State and Uni of Nevada Las Vegas. Nearly applied to a school in hawaii, I'm just missing one science class, they ask for three. Those are the only ones here. In all lll prob apply to four here if I skip the UC schools. So in all thirteen or fourteen unis. Four or five US , Five Canada, Three Netherlands, and One Canada
Hey can you send me that vid?
I fell in love with the Netherlands my freshmen year of high school(even though I've never been there) I told myself that I would apply to at least three universities. My plan is to apply to University of Amsterdam(of course, but expensive), University of Groningen(great city so I've heard) and Uni of Maastricht ( Really close to Germany and Belgium). As a non-eu student from the US the tuition is significantly lower l'll only play about €10,000 plus another €10000 on housing and whatever. Id be saving at least €40000 all together compared to the US. I live in a single parent household and my mom will be happy with the price. The schools I'm applying to in the US are going to cost at least $25,000 for tuition excluding housing.I found some good schools here at a the price, compared to the $35,000 my mom thought she would be paying.
I'm also applying to one uni in Canada (Mcgill) and five in the UK. Which will still be kind of expensive but better compared to the US. So price wise in order from most affordable to least: Netherlands, Canada, United Kingdom, and United States.
Of course price isnt the only reason I'm applying. Language learning is a big thing for me. I like the proximity to France and Belgium (the language I'm currently learning.) In Maastricht, I could learn German since it's so close. Also I think it's Groningon that has the French speaking neiborhood.
Honestly, I think it would be the best experience and employers will like the international experience I'll have. I saw that someone talked about employabilty. I'm pretty sure you'll only have that problem if your trying to become a Doctor or a Lawyer( unless it's an international law course.) In the UK, US and Canada I've chosen International Relations.However in the Netherlands I've chosen European Studes oe European Languages and Cultures (Maastricht). They Have an IR course but at most of the schools I didnt like how some were described. I plan on working internationaly (obvs) so having a degree from outside my country will be beneficial.
My plan is Bachelors: Netherlands ( more time to study the language) Masters( UK or maybe US) then work experience (prob Peace Corps for two yrs) then MAYBE get a PhD which ld do in the US.
One thing I'm looking forward to is the biking culture. I'm literally against driving like, I usually walk or take the bus. I just dont see myslf driving, Ill prob be really bad at it.
Housing wise, I looked on Uni of Groningen website. The have a whole page on the best areas of the city to live for students qhich has been super helpful. I'll prob end up living with a mix of international and national students.
Cuture Shock... I'm worried about that a bit. I figure the biggest shock will be the language, but I'd prob get over that quickly. Like I've literally been living my whole life around spanish speakers and that hasnt been a prob. (California, you'd think everyone here would be fluent but nope.)
I think as long as I get involved in sports and clubs (societies, cant remember what they call them in NL. Ill be fine.
My Mom will probably be behind my decision. Like she let my older brother go to war torn countries in the Air Force for four years. What's the difference? I'll be spending three or four years in europe.
Haven't started the app yet, just signed up for studielink and all I have to do for UCAS is put in my test scores and pay.
Sorry this became really long. l just wanted to contribute. So all in all I'm for going to Dutch Unis. I just feel I can't give a decision on which is better because I haven't been to unis in either places.

Oh you're American! Well nice to meet you and I don't blame you for looking at uni abroad. There's loads of Americans at Dutch unis :smile:

[video="youtube;axF25eO4msY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axF25eO4msY[/video]
I actually did fill out the UC app. The problem is the personal insight questions have me stumped. They used to have a personal statement to write. But they changed it to four questions you choose from eight. You have to write a paragraph(?) For each. So I stopped there and havent looked at it in about two months. I chose Santa Barbara, Davis, San Diego, and Irvine. Might still apply if I could figure out what to write.
Other than those applying to maybe to CSU schools, San Diego State and Cal State Long Beach. Also two thers out of state, Washington State and Uni of Nevada Las Vegas. Nearly applied to a school in hawaii, I'm just missing one science class, they ask for three. Those are the only ones here. In all lll prob apply to four here if I skip the UC schools. So in all thirteen or fourteen unis. Four or five US , Five Canada, Three Netherlands, and One Canada

I filled out the UC app as well but then was like nah cuz uni in the US is too expensive, also was going to apply to a few east coast and midwest schools. I can't be bothered to write all those essays tbh :tongue: is McGill cheaper for US students? Just wondering cuz I was going to apply to McGill for Sciences but decided not to a few days ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest