The Student Room Group

layout of English Literature Paper 1B gcse???

I have a practice paper of Pride and Prejudice which my school has made up tomorrow and I would like to know what the layout will be like. I know there's one question on an extract, and one of a character or theme... what is it precisely though?
Original post by alextheowl
I have a practice paper of Pride and Prejudice which my school has made up tomorrow and I would like to know what the layout will be like. I know there's one question on an extract, and one of a character or theme... what is it precisely though?

What exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
What exam board?

AQA
AQA

Is that the new 9-1 spec?

You will be given one 30 mark question on the text, in which you will have to discuss how the writer portrays something, whether that be ideas about a concept, a theme, a character, a mood, etc. (from what I've seen) You will be given an extract, and you're asked to write a response in reference to that extract, and the text as a whole. You are asked to start with the extract. I hope this has helped a bit :smile:

So with the new GCSE we would have one section on the 19th C. novel (in your case Pride and Prejudice where there would be an extract given and then part (a) would be a question about the character in reference to a theme in the book and in the extract and then part (b) would be linking it to the wider novel. It's the same for your Shakespeare play. So for me for Macbeth, we did a practise exam question and it was "(a) How does Macbeth show arrogance and power in this extract? (b) How does Macbeth show arrogance and power in the wider play?" When answering it don't do it in two parts per se as you would lose the fluidity of your answer. In each paragraph show links to the extract and the wider novel continuously to get high marks.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
Is that the new 9-1 spec?

You will be given one 30 mark question on the text, in which you will have to discuss how the writer portrays something, whether that be ideas about a concept, a theme, a character, a mood, etc. (from what I've seen) You will be given an extract, and you're asked to write a response in reference to that extract, and the text as a whole. You are asked to start with the extract. I hope this has helped a bit :smile:

Yes it's the new spec, and it did thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest