The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joodaa
Could someone explain q2 part IV of the 2015 paper? I dont understand how you can factorise it the way the mark scheme has
cheersss

@Zacken

I don't quite understand why using a = 3, b=2 and n=2014 doesn't work... it would be logical to me to use these values... Could you possible explain this?
Original post by joodaa
Could someone explain q2 part IV of the 2015 paper? I dont understand how you can factorise it the way the mark scheme has
cheersss
It's a direct application of the (i); the only possible issue I can imagine is you're confused about what a and b are (but even this should be fairly obvious looking at the solution).

Spoiler

Reply 822
Original post by DFranklin
It's a direct application of the (i); the only possible issue I can imagine is you're confused about what a and b are (but even this should be fairly obvious looking at the solution).

Spoiler

Oh um awkward I didn't make the link that that was what they used ugh :/
Is there a reason why they didnt use a = 3 and b is 2?
Original post by joodaa
Oh um awkward I didn't make the link that that was what they used ugh :/
Is there a reason why they didnt use a = 3 and b is 2?
Part (i) tells you that (a-b) is a factor of a^n - b^n. But if (a - b) = 1, this isn't terribly helpful (or surprising!).
Reply 824
Part (i) tells you that (a-b) is a factor of a^n - b^n. But if (a - b) = 1, this isn't terribly helpful (or surprising!).

Ahh okay thanks i think i get it now cheers dfranklin
Original post by Mystery.
Thanks so much everyone.

Did you get the same multiple choice answers as me then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please could someone check if

g(a,b)= s(b, m( g( a, P(b))), a) is a solution to question 5 part IV 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we get partial credit on the longer questions? So if you started part iv and it was worth 6 marks and didn't finish it, could they still give you some of the marks for that part?
Reply 828
Original post by Oceankarma
Do we get partial credit on the longer questions? So if you started part iv and it was worth 6 marks and didn't finish it, could they still give you some of the marks for that part?

Yeap, it says on their website 'Part marks are available for the longer questions.'
Original post by theaverage
Please could someone check if

g(a,b)= s(b, m( g( a, P(b))), a) is a solution to question 5 part IV 2015

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did g(a,b)= s(p(b), m(g(a, p(b))), a). The reason for this is we want to perform m |b| times on a. To do this, we can increment b up to 0, each time of which will perform m(a). Therefore the variable we compare (our 'x' in the s function) must be p(b), or b + 1, with comparison to function f(a, b).

Try out your formula with g(5, -1). You would expect 4.
g(5, -1) = s(-1, m(g(5, 0)), 5) = m(g(5, 0)) - as -1 <= 0
m(g(5, 0)) = m(s(0, m(g(5, 1)), 5) = m(m(g(5, 1))) as 0 <= 0
m(m(g(5, 1))) = m(m(s(1, m(g(5, 2)), 5))) = m(m(5)) as 1 > 0

g(5, -1) = m(m(5)) = 3.
Original post by some-student
I did g(a,b)= s(p(b), m(g(a, p(b))), a). The reason for this is we want to perform m |b| times on a. To do this, we can increment b up to 0, each time of which will perform m(a). Therefore the variable we compare (our 'x' in the s function) must be p(b), or b + 1, with comparison to function f(a, b).

Try out your formula with g(5, -1). You would expect 4.
g(5, -1) = s(-1, m(g(5, 0)), 5) = m(g(5, 0)) - as -1 <= 0
m(g(5, 0)) = m(s(0, m(g(5, 1)), 5) = m(m(g(5, 1))) as 0 <= 0
m(m(g(5, 1))) = m(m(s(1, m(g(5, 2)), 5))) = m(m(5)) as 1 > 0

g(5, -1) = m(m(5)) = 3.

Yeah makes sense, thanks :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone done the 2004 multiple choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you go about solving sin (2x) + (sin(x))^2 =1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joodaa
Ahh okay thanks i think i get it now cheers dfranklin

I still don't get it, do you mind explaining?
How would you go about solving sin (2x) + (sin(x))^2 =1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use some trigonometric identities e.g. sin^2x + cos^x = 1
Original post by Someboady
I still don't get it, do you mind explaining?

You know it isn't a prime if neither of the 2 brackets equal 1. If you simple did 3 and 3 the first bracket would equal 1 which means it could be a prime number. However if you use 3^5 and 2^5 you can work out the first bracket isn't 1, and the 2nd clearly isn't 1 hence you can conclude that the number isn't a prime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone done the 2004 multiple choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have done them just now, let me know if you want any help or if you want to share answers.
could anyone explain 2013 2 II) c) I can't follow the marking instructions at all
You know it isn't a prime if neither of the 2 brackets equal 1. If you simple did 3 and 3 the first bracket would equal 1 which means it could be a prime number. However if you use 3^5 and 2^5 you can work out the first bracket isn't 1, and the 2nd clearly isn't 1 hence you can conclude that the number isn't a prime.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh! I get it thanks dude!

Spoiler

So theoretically you can use 3^n and a^n where n is any integer bigger than 1?
Because they'd all be a factor right? or am I talking nonsense...

Latest

Trending

Trending