The Student Room Group

Girl I like has a boyfriend, Is it impossible to see us together?

So I've settled down at uni and made some new friends, in particular there is this girl who I think is pretty special.

We seemed to just "click" and get on really well and she always seems to get real close to me, giving me these signs that she likes me and we spend loads of time together, just the two of us.
But....she is in a long distance relationship with a guy and I now know it's impossible for us to be something more than just friends?

What do I do? and how do I get over her? :/

Yeah I guess I caught the feelings, and I've never really felt this way about someone before. I've been going through a lot lately and she just makes it all go away

Scroll to see replies

Have a regular **** to suppress your libido but stay close, waiting in the wings in case they break up.

If after a month they haven't then it's time to move on
Original post by tengentoppa
Have a regular **** to suppress your libido but stay close, waiting in the wings in case they break up.

If after a month they haven't then it's time to move on

Lmao, it's sentimental feelings more than wanting to :perv: :sexface: you know what what....
That's what makes her different from other girls

But idk if they will break up, they have known eachother from sixthform? and are from the same area I think
Reply 3
basically, to overcome it you have to tell her you like her, and once she either breaks the news that she doesn't want to be with u then you will realize that she's not for you (it has happened to me before), however she may tell you that she returns the feelings for you and may decide to leave her long distance relationship (this has also happened to me, and im in a relationship for 5 years, soon to marry)

If u think she likes u then she probably does, because girls like to hide their emotions, if you are straight to the point to her she'll express her feelings and u'll get uck
Original post by s1dude
basically, to overcome it you have to tell her you like her, and once she either breaks the news that she doesn't want to be with u then you will realize that she's not for you (it has happened to me before), however she may tell you that she returns the feelings for you and may decide to leave her long distance relationship (this has also happened to me, and im in a relationship for 5 years, soon to marry)

If u think she likes u then she probably does, because girls like to hide their emotions, if you are straight to the point to her she'll express her feelings and u'll get uck

:rofl:

Thank you for the insight! it's nice to know another brother talking from experience :smile: but ngl i'm really scared that if I do tell her and she rejects me for the sake of her long distance relationship that's the end of our friendship too and I really don't want to lose her at all.

But I will definietly arrange something, I'm planning to take her to a fireworks display and tell her there?

Congrats on finding yourself a wifey! how did she react when you told her you liked her? was there any drama with the other man?
Reply 5
She has a boyfriend, regardless whether it's long distance or not I think you should know better then to try and pursue her. Don't tell her, that might ruin things. You need to walk away and cut contact to be honest.
Original post by UWS
She has a boyfriend, regardless whether it's long distance or not I think you should know better then to try and pursue her. Don't tell her, that might ruin things. You need to walk away and cut contact to be honest.

Great. :frown: Now I'm torn between keeping it all bottled up and taking the risk to find out if there really is an "us".

I would hate myself if I lost her. But she always comes close to me or contacts me in one way or another, how can I just cut her off?
Original post by champagnepapii
Lmao, it's sentimental feelings more than wanting to :perv: :sexface: you know what what....
That's what makes her different from other girls

But idk if they will break up, they have known eachother from sixthform? and are from the same area I think

Is she a fresher? Because I remember a lot of uni first-year long-distance relationships collapsing
Is she a fresher? Because I remember a lot of uni first-year long-distance relationships collapsing

Yeah she is, we both are. Ahh really? I seem to see quite a few people on my course in LDRs :/
Reply 9
Great. :frown: Now I'm torn between keeping it all bottled up and taking the risk to find out if there really is an "us".

I would hate myself if I lost her. But she always comes close to me or contacts me in one way or another, how can I just cut her off?

But you're after more than a friendship, why are you lying to yourself here? :frown:

You want a relationship, she has a relationship... You should be a better person than that mate. It would be different if they had broken up but they're still together.

Slowly transition away, that's what I would do. Gradually text her less and less.
Reply 10
Wait till the split up, then pounce..
Well my best friend loved this girl as well and she had a boyfriend and I know it was a bit selfish but I knew the guy she was going out with so I tried to break them up for my best friend . Turns out I didn't need to intervene as he was cheating on her with another girl.
Reply 12
Also OP, do you realise that if you got with her, she would be cheating on her current bf? Who is to say she wouldn't do the same to you! Think about it.
So I've settled down at uni and made some new friends, in particular there is this girl who I think is pretty special.

We seemed to just "click" and get on really well and she always seems to get real close to me, giving me these signs that she likes me and we spend loads of time together, just the two of us.
But....she is in a long distance relationship with a guy and I now know it's impossible for us to be something more than just friends?

What do I do? and how do I get over her? :/

Yeah I guess I caught the feelings, and I've never really felt this way about someone before. I've been going through a lot lately and she just makes it all go away

awww, thats nice but if she does like someone else and u want to get over her, then u could try going out with ur friends more, they would like it and so would u. Hope this helps
Original post by UWS
But you're after more than a friendship, why are you lying to yourself here? :frown:

You want a relationship, she has a relationship... You should be a better person than that mate. It would be different if they had broken up but they're still together.

Slowly transition away, that's what I would do. Gradually text her less and less.

I do, you're right. I want both her frienndship and her love but I know it's out of reach :frown: so I keep denying things to make it hurt less

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad or selfish person and I wouldn't want to be the reason why her LDR ended.

I guess that's the best way of departing from her, it's going to be awkward asf though
Original post by Lucifer4
Well my best friend loved this girl as well and she had a boyfriend and I know it was a bit selfish but I knew the guy she was going out with so I tried to break them up for my best friend . Turns out I didn't need to intervene as he was cheating on her with another girl.

Hey you just wanted the best for your friend, I get that.
The only problem I see with her and her current bf is that they are of different cultures/religions and neither of their families approve. But they're still together anyway.
Original post by UWS
Also OP, do you realise that if you got with her, she would be cheating on her current bf? Who is to say she wouldn't do the same to you! Think about it.

:s-smilie:
Yeah you're right
I do, you're right. I want both her frienndship and her love but I know it's out of reach :frown: so I keep denying things to make it hurt less

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad or selfish person and I wouldn't want to be the reason why her LDR ended.

I guess that's the best way of departing from her, it's going to be awkward asf though

Don't worry about it that much concentrate on your studies and get your degree. You will have loads of time to look for your perfect partner
Hey you just wanted the best for your friend, I get that.
The only problem I see with her and her current bf is that they are of different cultures/religions and neither of their families approve. But they're still together anyway.

Thing is right if they want their child to be happy then they will have no other option but to approve even if it hurts them a bit, but with a little bit of luck you get with her
The first year of uni does seem to have a reputation for obliterating relationships as suddenly turning your normal relationship into an LDR really messes with a lot of people. HOWEVER, you really shouldn't be chasing a girl that isn't single. If she turns out willing to cheat that'll be a bit concerning for you surely. Try to dial things back a lil bit, stay friendly but be a lil more distant, if they don't break up after like a month and you're still feeling feels then drift more, **** off etc.

Basically repress it to hell until either she becomes available or you forget about it and move on. Forgetting about a girl is a lot easier than one realises while they're actually attracted to the girl (speaking from my own experience here, I fancied a girl that wasn't single too. It was very fun)

Why do half the random dudes on here seem to think that everything is related to wanting to bone and romantic feelings just don't exist? Borderline scary

Quick Reply

Latest