The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry

Original post by MiracleLeaf
This is in the wrong thread I know, but you're all smart people, so could someone help with this A2 chemistry question? Outline how you carry out a simple laboratory process to show that the recrystallised product is a pure sample of N-phenylethanamide
you just have to recall recrystallisation process. E.g. Dissolve the product in a minimum amount of hot solvent to ensure the solution that is saturated. Then filter the solution through a hot funnel to remove insoluble impurities and etc.
Original post by Earth1
you just have to recall recrystallisation process. E.g. Dissolve the product in a minimum amount of hot solvent to ensure the solution that is saturated. Then filter the solution through a hot funnel to remove insoluble impurities and etc.

Thank you!!
This is in the wrong thread I know, but you're all smart people, so could someone help with this A2 chemistry question? Outline how you carry out a simple laboratory process to show that the recrystallised product is a pure sample of N-phenylethanamide

Is that not measure it's melting point? Go onto Chemrevise.org and go to the organic synthesis part for AQA and I think it outlines how you measure MP. You also have to say that it is sharp MP and doesn't have a range and compare the sharp MP to the real MP in data books for that compound and if it's the exact same then it's pure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by michaela__
Is that not measure it's melting point? Go onto Chemrevise.org and go to the organic synthesis part for AQA and I think it outlines how you measure MP. You also have to say that it is sharp MP and doesn't have a range and compare the sharp MP to the real MP in data books for that compound and if it's the exact same then it's pure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg, you are absolutely right! Sorry, I didn't read the question carefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know if you got an answer yet or not but...

I'm a Scottish candidate but the answer I would give to that (having done a test on it 2 weeks ago only) would be you could use Thin Layer Chromatography. If it was a pure sample then only one spot would appear on the chromatogram.
Also, Determination of the melting point can give an indication of the purity of a compound, as the presence of impurities lowers the melting point and broadens its melting temperature range. Since impurities lower the melting point, the technique of mixed melting point determination
can be used to confirm the identity of a solid.

But your best bet is to use TLC.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
Don't know if you got an answer yet or not but...

I'm a Scottish candidate but the answer I would give to that (having done a test on it 2 weeks ago only) would be you could use Thin Layer Chromatography. If it was a pure sample then only one spot would appear on the chromatogram.
Also, Determination of the melting point can give an indication of the purity of a compound, as the presence of impurities lowers the melting point and broadens its melting temperature range. Since impurities lower the melting point, the technique of mixed melting point determination
can be used to confirm the identity of a solid.

But your best bet is to use TLC.

Hope that helps :smile:

I've not Learnt about TLC not sure if it's on the AQA spec for me but sounds interesting and a lot better than the other method we did in class 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've not Learnt about TLC not sure if it's on the AQA spec for me but sounds interesting and a lot better than the other method we did in class 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right, I guess us Scots are just much more ahead than you guys :wink:

Oh snap.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477939438.743923.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe 😝😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9