The Student Room Group

My life is starting to get quite dull

Hey I wonder if anyone else feels like this. I really do struggle to make use of free time. Like I will be like 'yay a day off' but then two hours later I'll just be sat there, bored out of my mind.

I don't even know what I do in my free time, I usually just find myself going on this website, or constantly refreshing Facebook, repeatedly stalking random people's profiles, or just looking at random things on the Internet. I really hate just sitting there, watching TV. I go for walks around where I live but I'm sick of that too - I've seen it all before and it does get quite maddening, just being stuck with your own thoughts.

I often feel very fatigued and lose motivation very easily - when I start a project, as soon as it gets difficult I will think 'what's the point?' and give up. I've even given up on reading books.

It's just starting to dawn on me that my life is very dull indeed. I would go into details but it's long, complicated and boring. I easily become envious of other people such as a friend of mine and then I feel absolutely dreadful about myself. With the amount of online stalking I do, it really is as though I don't have a life of my own.

I make all these plans when I'm in a good mood to improve things but as soon as I get in a bad mood, I just cba to put them into practice. I hardly ever get to have intense, stimulating conversations with anyone (this may change very soon mind you).

Sorry for the rant haha, I just needed to get this off my chest and I don't (yet anyway) have anyone I feel comfortable telling this to in real life. Probably just a temporary negative slump because I'm currently bored af. I like to psychoanalyse myself so I may do that later to get to the bottom of this
Damnnn, this is so true for many people, especially this part for me
I make all these plans when I'm in a good mood to improve things but as soon as I get in a bad mood, I just cba to put them into practice

Herein lies the problem; you get into a bad mood and don't put it into action, then you feel bad for sitting doing nothing, the cycle repeats. When you get into a bad mood, doing the fun things you've planned will alleviate or at least help to alleviate it. It seems like you have things to do and can plan things, so you must at least have something to do, motivation is the issue. Force yourself in your bad mood to do what you have planned and it'll help.

Facebook and **** is just a depressing soccer-mom timewaster, your life will greatly benefit from minimising the usage of it.

You need to follow through with things you've planned, if you find you don't have enough to fill your time with after that...new hobbies or just learning something new :smile: A skill or pure leisure thing at least you get feelings of accomplishment and want to carry on with it.
You've probably heard this, or something along the lines of it, many times. It's cliche but is true tbh
I sometimes feel the same.:redface:
Reply 3
i swer did i post this or what bc we the same person fam
'course i cant offer advice i can only relate :tongue:
but
i do feel like if you force yourself to go outside every day - atleast for like an hour even if it's just to the park
you'll feel much better

i remember a few months back I was having a bad case of everything-is-boring syndrome but I went and had a sleepover at my cousin's and went out every day. One day at the park, one day at Oxford Street, one day in some other part of London, another day to some large hill. And I was helping cook and clean and running around the house and actually physically talking to people. It made me feel much better.

i feel like it's almost a positive feedback system :lol: the more you sit down doing nothing, the more sluggish you feel/ become, the less you wanna get up and do stuff, etc.etc.

but rn I'm having another one of those times lol - but i have a busy week coming up so that'll hopefully sort it out :smile:
Original post by somemightsay888
Damnnn, this is so true for many people, especially this part for me

Herein lies the problem; you get into a bad mood and don't put it into action, then you feel bad for sitting doing nothing, the cycle repeats. When you get into a bad mood, doing the fun things you've planned will alleviate or at least help to alleviate it. It seems like you have things to do and can plan things, so you must at least have something to do, motivation is the issue. Force yourself in your bad mood to do what you have planned and it'll help.

Facebook and **** is just a depressing soccer-mom timewaster, your life will greatly benefit from minimising the usage of it.

You need to follow through with things you've planned, if you find you don't have enough to fill your time with after that...new hobbies or just learning something new :smile: A skill or pure leisure thing at least you get feelings of accomplishment and want to carry on with it.
You've probably heard this, or something along the lines of it, many times. It's cliche but is true tbh
Thank you! Like I have this long huge list of things I want to do, such as making loads of new healthy meals and trying knitting! I think I really will try to persevere. I also think I need to sort out my fatigue, as fatigue is often the culprit when I 'cba for anything'. Probably iron deficiency. Thanks again for your motivational reply :smile:
Original post by German123
I sometimes feel the same.:redface:
Aww I hope you overcome it soon, if you ever want to chat about it, I'm here :smile:
I never feel like that bc I always have something to do like movies/sleeping or day-dreaming AND You-tube:colondollar:
Original post by z33
i swer did i post this or what bc we the same person fam
'course i cant offer advice i can only relate :tongue:
but
i do feel like if you force yourself to go outside every day - atleast for like an hour even if it's just to the park
you'll feel much better

i remember a few months back I was having a bad case of everything-is-boring syndrome but I went and had a sleepover at my cousin's and went out every day. One day at the park, one day at Oxford Street, one day in some other part of London, another day to some large hill. And I was helping cook and clean and running around the house and actually physically talking to people. It made me feel much better.

i feel like it's almost a positive feedback system :lol: the more you sit down doing nothing, the more sluggish you feel/ become, the less you wanna get up and do stuff, etc.etc.

but rn I'm having another one of those times lol - but i have a busy week coming up so that'll hopefully sort it out :smile:
Aww I can't rate this post

It's really nice to know that what I posted related to you as I'm not alone, although obviously it's not nice that you suffer from it too.

Yes walking does boost my mood, like if I feel myself getting really angry/upset, I instinctively want a walk. Maybe I should make a plan of all the different places I could walk to. Maybe I should find a walking buddy.

You're right about it being a positive feedback system - feeling fatigued makes me unable to be bothered, and it goes round and round :s-smilie:

Aww it's good that you have a busy week; it's very likely to alleviate it! :smile:
Original post by tamil fever
I never feel like that bc I always have something to do like movies/sleeping or day-dreaming AND You-tube:colondollar:

Yeah movies can be really fun actually, my issue is finding movies I actually want to watch :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest