The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Biomedical Engineering Glasgow v/s Strathclyde

Hi,

I have got offers from Glasgow (Biomedical engineering), Stathclyde (Biomedical engineering), Cardiff (Medical engineering) and Surrey (Medical Engineering).

I like Glasgow university, it has better ranking. However, when I visited Glasgow university, I also went to Strathclyde.

Strathclyde has a separate 6 story building for biomedical engineering. Looks like they have more focus on Biomedical Engg. I need to make the choices in a few days. Any advise which university has better biomedical engineering department? Also, which aspects make Glasgow a great university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Help please! Need to take the decision soon.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello!

I don't really know which is better, but I will be attending Strathclyde for MSc Biomedical Engineering in September. One thing you might consider is that Strathclyde does offer postgraduate courses in Biomedical Engineering, whereas Glasgow only offers the undergraduate programme. I think that this would usually mean that Strathclyde has more experience and research going on in that department (like you said, I think they have more focus in the area). Strathclyde is also better known for engineering, even though Glasgow is more prestigious in general.

So I'd say Strathclyde, but I may be biased :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Hulki
Hi,

I have got offers from Glasgow (Biomedical engineering), Stathclyde (Biomedical engineering), Cardiff (Medical engineering) and Surrey (Medical Engineering).

I like Glasgow university, it has better ranking. However, when I visited Glasgow university, I also went to Strathclyde.

Strathclyde has a separate 6 story building for biomedical engineering. Looks like they have more focus on Biomedical Engg. I need to make the choices in a few days. Any advise which university has better biomedical engineering department? Also, which aspects make Glasgow a great university?

You shouldn't compare universities on the basis of their buildings. I go to Glasgow, And completed my first year, so far teaching was brilliant. And i have few pals in strathclyde and they are kind of unsatisfied by the course management. Everyone have their own opinion mate. I'll go for Glasgow though.
Best of luck anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Does anyone know anyone that's done or is going to do finance and statistics at Glasgow. Thinking about doing it next year but I don't know if I would get in with 2 A's and 2 B's
Original post by Johnm75
Does anyone know anyone that's done or is going to do finance and statistics at Glasgow. Thinking about doing it next year but I don't know if I would get in with 2 A's and 2 B's

Maybe create a separate thread for your own inquiry?

Anyway, to the OP - I'm all for Glasgow, but I would agree that Strathclydes Engineering school is better. Choose Strathclyde.
Reply 6
Original post by Hashim3444
You shouldn't compare universities on the basis of their buildings. I go to Glasgow, And completed my first year, so far teaching was brilliant. And i have few pals in strathclyde and they are kind of unsatisfied by the course management. Everyone have their own opinion mate. I'll go for Glasgow though.
Best of luck anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you doing Biomedical Engineering? Zeroed down to Glagow as firm choice.
Reply 7
Original post by Hulki
Hi,

Glasgow is a top uni, but for Engineering I would be going to Strathclyde, do you know if Strathclyde has any industry links?
Reply 8
Aye i am doing biomedical engineering. And i am pretty satisfied up-till now. What choices you have other than Glasgow and strathclyde?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I have an unconditional offer for studying MSc Biomedical Engineering at Strathclyde. I have applied for Newcastle University, University of Surrey and Manchester University.
Within the following days I have to make a decision, I do not know yet if I am admitted in the rest of the universities. I just have received the admission letter from Strathclyde.
Do you think it would be a good choice to study at Strathclyde?
Do you know anybody who has been studying at Strathclyde something related to biomedical engineering?
Glasgow University does have a postgraduate courses in Biomedical Engineering
http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/biomedicalengineering/
as well as an extensive range of PHD programmes
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/engineering/research/divisions/biomedical/
Reply 11
hi am planning to do phd in strathclyde , any advice pls
Personally I don't see that much of a difference between engineering schools when it comes to glasgow and strathclyde. If you do manage to complete the degree program with a good grade I don't think either will be a 'disadvantage'. Personally I prefer student life here at Glasgow, but I suppose that should be just as big a factor as anything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I also have an offer from surrey, confusing as to where to go , strathclyde or surrey for a phd
Hellooooo,
Also applying this year for 2017 entryc hopefully to do biomedical engineering. I have my mind fairly set on strathclyde but I'm curious about the differences between the course in Glasgow and strathclyde.
The course at strathclyde looks pretty incredible to me at the moment, but Glasgow seems like a more respected University, tough decisions!
Does anyone have any advice/ has done either of the courses, and could offer some advice?:smile:
i got an offer for glasgow but my main choice is medicine. Glasgow is a great university and a really cool city
Both are good unis but overall Strathclyde is regarded as 1st for engineering in Scotland. I'd go with Strathclyde.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by ZaraRuby
Hellooooo,
Also applying this year for 2017 entryc hopefully to do biomedical engineering. I have my mind fairly set on strathclyde but I'm curious about the differences between the course in Glasgow and strathclyde.
The course at strathclyde looks pretty incredible to me at the moment, but Glasgow seems like a more respected University, tough decisions!
Does anyone have any advice/ has done either of the courses, and could offer some advice?:smile:

Strathclyde course is no longer accredited by the Institute of Chartered Engineering which is putting me off Strathclyde but because of its reputation I have applied too. Have an conditional offer from Cardiff already and an interview coming up in Imperial College
Original post by andy1998
Strathclyde course is no longer accredited by the Institute of Chartered Engineering which is putting me off Strathclyde but because of its reputation I have applied too. Have an conditional offer from Cardiff already and an interview coming up in Imperial College

That's true, but the course at Glasgow uni has only become accredited this year. It's a new area, these courses are still new. Glasgow had their first cohort in 2011 while Strathclyde had theirs in 2013. By the time you graduate ie. when it actually matters, it would be accredited by Institute of Chartered Engineering, as well as IPEM.
Strathclyde is a great uni and I dont regret choosing it over other places I received offers from. (Including Imperial and UCL)
I don't check here at all but PM me if you have any questions and I'll get a notification through to check.
Reply 19
Hi, I'm currently on the Biomedical Engineering course at Strathclyde. I was accepted for the first year that the undergraduate program began there. I am currently half way through my fourth year. Biomedical Engineering at Strathclyde is much more practical based than Glasgow in terms of research. Glasgow looks more into material science. Both are interesting and we do learn materials but it is which ever you prefer. We've had a lot of say on the things we didn't like about the course as we were the "guinea pigs" essentially, and there is a lot the course has to offer that it hasn't previously.

My fourth year project focuses on the fluid flow through blood vessels by means of Particle Image Velocimetry but some of my friends are doing projects with augmented reality in ophthalmics, perturbation with spinal stimulation and whole body vibration on bone mass of spinal cord injury patients.

I hope this helps if you haven't already made your choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending