The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RossB1702
What you applying for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmath
Original post by Mystery.
You could do investment banking, actuarial science, engineering in post grad, there are so many things.

Ahh, that was never made clear to me. :/ Oh well, but I still love maths and always will. Just not interested in any of those careers sadly. :frown: Maths is a subject I really enjoy and I couldn't imagine myself not taking it to AH hence, why I took it lmao. :biggrin:
St Andrews is 4th in the uk. I would say then Glasgow/edinburgh then Dundee

What unis have you applied to?
Reply 123
How's yur course going at edinburgh?

I have applied there too!

Yeah really enjoying it. Starting to reap the benefits of linear algebra etc and how it all ties in. Starting to get harder as we progress more into the semester but that is to be expected. Now I've been at it for a few months I can definitely say that Advanced Higher Maths will help you significantly so just bare that in mind :wink:
Original post by JP298
Yeah really enjoying it. Starting to reap the benefits of linear algebra etc and how it all ties in. Starting to get harder as we progress more into the semester but that is to be expected. Now I've been at it for a few months I can definitely say that Advanced Higher Maths will help you significantly so just bare that in mind :wink:

That's really good to know! Cheers for that.

I've applied to Edinburgh, did you get straight into 2nd year?
Reply 125
Original post by DonAchille
That's really good to know! Cheers for that.

I've applied to Edinburgh, did you get straight into 2nd year?

I could have went to 2nd year if I did straight computer science or the masters in informatics but I wanted to do Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence which is a joint honours degree so there is no accelerated program for that :wink:
Original post by JP298

That sounds really good. Would you say first year is just a repeat of AH maths like everyone says or is it different?

Also, did you get an unconditional and when did you get the offer if you remember?
Reply 127
That sounds really good. Would you say first year is just a repeat of AH maths like everyone says or is it different?

Also, did you get an unconditional and when did you get the offer if you remember?

It's definitely not a repeat. The things you learn in Adv Maths are useful but for Edinburgh uni much of what you learn is just that level above in difficulty. Concepts such as span and linear dependence and how it all ties in to invertible matrices is interesting. Though my mates from school who have went to other universities have said that there course is just a repeat of maths
Original post by JP298
It's definitely not a repeat. The things you learn in Adv Maths are useful but for Edinburgh uni much of what you learn is just that level above in difficulty. Concepts such as span and linear dependence and how it all ties in to invertible matrices is interesting. Though my mates from school who have went to other universities have said that there course is just a repeat of maths

How you enjoying the city and night life ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by RossB1702
How you enjoying the city and night life ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's really good the nightlife but I would say it's not as good as glasgow. I personally prefer the city compared to glasgow and the way the campus's are laid out along with the accommodations make it such a social and vibrant place in which you meet such a large variety of different people taking different courses. I'm loving it!
I'm currently studying complex numbers and I'm stuck on this question :

Verify that z=1+i is a root of the equation z^4+3z^2-6z+10 and find the other roots?

Spoiler

Original post by Nuba123

Verify that z=1+i is a root of the equation z^4+3z^2-6z+10 and find the other roots?

Spoiler

To verify it's a root, you can use similar methods to Higher - either sub in z = 1+i (I'd recommend finding the values of z^2, z^3 and z^4 first, then sub all 4 values into the equation), or use synthetic division (if works the same as Higher, just watch our for i^2).

Then, something you should know is: If a complex number z is a root, then its complex conjugate is a root as well. So 1 + i is a root and 1 - i is also a root.

If they're both roots, then z - (1+i) and z - (1-i) are also factors. So multiply them together, then divide the initial equation by the product of the 2 factors, then factorise the quadratic you get.
Original post by Nuba123

Spoiler

In order to verify it is a root, you need to substitute 1+i into the equation, in place of z. Then simplify, using the fact that i^2 = -1. If the equation=0, 1+i is a root. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by lewman99
To verify it's a root, you can use similar methods to Higher - either sub in z = 1+i (I'd recommend finding the values of z^2, z^3 and z^4 first, then sub all 4 values into the equation), or use synthetic division (if works the same as Higher, just watch our for i^2).

Then, something you should know is: If a complex number z is a root, then its complex conjugate is a root as well. So 1 + i is a root and 1 - i is also a root.

If they're both roots, then z - (1+i) and z - (1-i) are also factors. So multiply them together, then divide the initial equation by the product of the 2 factors, then factorise the quadratic you get.

Thank you so much, I got the answer. :')
Original post by Labrador99
In order to verify it is a root, you need to substitute 1+i into the equation, in place of z. Then simplify, using the fact that i^2 = -1. If the equation=0, 1+i is a root. Hope this helps :smile:

Omg, here I am thinking this is a lot more complicated. Smh at myself. Thank you :')
Oi oi

Where are y'all in the course?

We are doing derivatives of inverse trig functions and sequences rn.

Already covered:
Some differentiation
Some integration
Curve sketching with asymptotes
Modulus
Inverse of functions
Matrices
Complex Numbers
Algebraic division
Binomial theorem
Partial fractions.

As far as I can remember that's it?

Wbu you guys and how you finding it. Complex numbers does my head in but the rest i'm getting to grips with!
Original post by ...It'sme(#J)
Oi oi

So far we've done:

* Partial Fractions
* Differentiation (all of it)
* Sequences and Series
* MacLaurin Expansions
* Binomial Thereom
* Complex Numbers
* Matrices
* Vectors and Planes
* Integration (up to solids of revolution)

I feel it's going really well so far. I haven't quite got my head around plane geometry, but everything else is going pretty well.
Original post by ...It'sme(#J)
Oi oi

We are doing derivatives of inverse trig functions and sequences rn.

Already covered:
Some differentiation
Some integration
Curve sketching with asymptotes
Modulus
Inverse of functions
Matrices
Complex Numbers
Algebraic division
Binomial theorem
Partial fractions.

As far as I can remember that's it?

Wbu you guys and how you finding it. Complex numbers does my head in but the rest i'm getting to grips with!

Doing complex numbers atm, covered same as you except the sequences and trig stuff. Not covered inverse functions as well
Original post by lewman99
So far we've done:

* Partial Fractions
* Differentiation (all of it)
* Sequences and Series
* MacLaurin Expansions
* Binomial Thereom
* Complex Numbers
* Matrices
* Vectors and Planes
* Integration (up to solids of revolution)

I feel it's going really well so far. I haven't quite got my head around plane geometry, but everything else is going pretty well.

Original post by Nuba123
Doing complex numbers atm, covered same as you except the sequences and trig stuff. Not covered inverse functions as well

Yeah, they are really shifting us this year. Quite a lot to learn if you don't keep up I feel.
Now that prelim time is fast approaching what is everyone predicting they'll get in the prelim?
And what is your aspirational grade?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending