The Student Room Group

Did you intentionally choose RG unis?

Poll

How many RG universities did you apply to?

Hi fellow university applicants! :h: It looks like applications and offers are well in motion. I'm just curious to know wheather or not you applied to RG universities? If so was it intentially done because of the universities' status or because you figured that the universities were genuinely good for your desired courses? Are all 5 of your choices RG unis?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Hi fellow university applicants! :h: It looks like applications and offers are well in motion. I'm just curious to know wheather or not you applied to RG universities? If so was it intentially done because of the universities' status or because you figured that the universities were genuinely good for your desired courses? Are all 5 of your choices RG unis?

Spoiler

It's a mixture for me, I applied for:

LSE
KCL
Birmingham
Manchester
Aston

obviously, everyone has their eyes on the prize (RG) however I knew that I didn't want to go to Edinburgh etc despite it being RG. I took into account the city, student life and the course (hence Aston is there) and decided to settle on those. Applying to LSE was on a complete whim though lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jerome85
It's a mixture for me, I applied for:

LSE
KCL
Birmingham
Manchester
Aston

obviously, everyone has their eyes on the prize (RG) however I knew that I didn't want to go to Edinburgh etc despite it being RG. I took into account the city, student life and the course (hence Aston is there) and decided to settle on those. Applying to LSE was on a complete whim though lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awesome. Your range of choices are very similar to mine ; atm my 5 choices will consist of 4 RG unis and a non-RG uni. What course did you apply for?
Reply 3
3 RG unis (Durham, Cambridge and Warwick) and 2 non-RG unis (Surrey and Bath).
Awesome. Your range of choices are very similar to mine ; atm my 5 choices will consist of 4 RG unis and a non-RG uni. What course did you apply for?

Awesome, where did you apply? And I'm applying for economics and politics but at LSE I applied for Social Policy and Government. I'm glad I've got an offer from Manchester so far though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied to 5 Russell Groups, both because of their status and because they were the best ones, naturally, for my course. If the best ones had not been Russell Group, I still probably would have gone for Russell Groups because of their status. But then again, Russell Group unis wouldn't have the status they do if they weren't good.
Reply 6
Original post by Mathemagicien
Surrey and Bath aren't RG? Damn, I've got a few people on FB I need to unfriend...

...and block
Original post by Jerome85
Awesome, where did you apply? And I'm applying for economics and politics but at LSE I applied for Social Policy and Government. I'm glad I've got an offer from Manchester so far though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am going to be applying to Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, UCL and Surrey for Mathematics. Really want offers from Manchester and Nottingham. Congrats on your offer from Manchester. What is your conditional offer for Manchester?
I am going to be applying to Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, UCL and Surrey for Mathematics. Really want offers from Manchester and Nottingham. Congrats on your offer from Manchester. What is your conditional offer for Manchester?

just curious why KCL they are not really that good for maths.
Original post by Luke7456
just curious why KCL they are not really that good for maths.
Oh really? What makes you say that? Tbh I chose KCL and UCL to satisy my parents urge of making me stay in london. So if this event indeed happens then I'll be going to one of the best universities in London.
Oh really? What makes you say that? Tbh I chose KCL and UCL to satisy my parents urge of making me stay in london. So if this event indeed happens then I'll be going to one of the best universities in London.

Kings College London are a world class university I think they were on the outskirts of top 20 in the entire world in university rankings.

They just suck for maths. If your getting grades that are close to or exceeding UCL entry requirements why not make a bid for Imperial? they are top ten in the world generally and for maths.

You really can't do better then that. I mean okay Oxbridge is slightly better but literally only slightly.
3 RG (Oxford, Durham, Imperial)
2 non (Bath, Loughborough)
I despise the Russell Group, it's all just marketing. I think, to paint with a broad brush, there is a vague 'top tier' of Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Edinburgh, St Andrews, Warwick, Durham . The rest is just talk.
(edited 7 years ago)
Kings College London are a world class university I think they were on the outskirts of top 20 in the entire world in university rankings.

They just suck for maths. If your getting grades that are close to or exceeding UCL entry requirements why not make a bid for Imperial? they are top ten in the world generally and for maths.

You really can't do better then that. I mean okay Oxbridge is slightly better but literally only slightly.
Oh but UCL is a very optimistic choice. I'm predicted A*A*C respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry whereas UCL's entry requirements are A*A*A. Was thinking of applying to Imperial but I'm certain they'll reject me instantly. KCL is the safer option out of the three.

Spoiler

5 RG, I think. I haven't actually checked but I imagine they are. Tbh, regardless of whether or not RG unis are better than others, or if it's just marketing, the general public perception is that they are better which means it's likely to be advantageous to attend one. The existence of this thread is evidence that they are generally held in quite high esteem.
Oh but UCL is a very optimistic choice. I'm predicted A*A*C respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry whereas UCL's entry requirements are A*A*A. Was thinking of applying to Imperial but I'm certain they'll reject me instantly. KCL is the safer option out of the three.

Spoiler

Hmm yeah well Surrey and LoughBorough are strong for maths. In fact in my opinion from my research surrey is better for maths. and they ask for about the same but slightly lower AAB/AAA as Kings college who ask for AAA unless they changed since I last looked. Nope just checked still the same.

I guess Kings college still gave better Prestige etc, but Surrey have an excellent careers department and links to industry.
Reply 15
Original post by JRKinder
The existence of this thread is evidence that they are generally held in quite high esteem only on TSR.

Fixed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha that's true, but I imagine in academic circles it would matter also. And jobs in law and banking, but other than that perhaps not.

If I mention I went to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings college etc it would get the wow factor from most people.

If i said that I had completed a maths Degree at Winchester it would not, and rightly so because you learn less and come out less competent from the maths degree at Winchester then you would the maths Degree at Imperial.

for the most part, and I say for the most part because I am well aware there are exceptions you could find but as a general rule degrees at more prestigious universities are harder to complete and require a higher standard to achieve.
If I mention I went to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Kings college etc it would get the wow factor from most people.

If i said that I had completed a maths Degree at Winchester it would not, and rightly so because you learn less and come out less competent from the maths degree at Winchester then you would the maths Degree at Imperial.

for the most part, and I say for the most part because I am well aware there are exceptions you could find but as a general rule degrees at more prestigious universities are harder to complete and require a higher standard to achieve.
Would you consider Warwick & Durham to be prestigious?

Hmm yeah well Surrey and LoughBorough are strong for maths. In fact in my opinion from my research surrey is better for maths. and they ask for about the same but slightly lower AAB/AAA as Kings college who ask for AAA unless they changed since I last looked. Nope just checked still the same.

I guess Kings college still gave better Prestige etc, but Surrey have an excellent careers department and links to industry.
Yeah I agree with the things you've said. I'm quite confident I'll get an offer from Surrey so they're going to be my insurance choice.

Original post by JRKinder
5 RG, I think. I haven't actually checked but I imagine they are. Tbh, regardless of whether or not RG unis are better than others, or if it's just marketing, the general public perception is that they are better which means it's likely to be advantageous to attend one. The existence of this thread is evidence that they are generally held in quite high esteem.
What percentage do you think the RG status of your universitg choices contributed to you picking the universities in the first place?
(edited 7 years ago)

What percentage do you think the RG status of your universitg choices contributed to you picking the universities in the first place?
It was more just an added benefit of the choices, because 3 of them (Oxford, LSE, UCL) are prestigious in their own right which is one of the reasons why I chose them. Because these three are so well-known, the RG status had little impact either way here. My other two (Warwick and Bristol) it probably had more of an impact, although I picked Warwick because it's very good for Economics which is the course I am applying for. If I wasn't as bothered about Oxbridge then I'd probably have put more emphasis on the RG element of things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending