The Student Room Group

No luck finding a job, sigh

Hey guys!

I'm just really confused and wondering what I am doing wrong when applying for jobs, I don't even make it to the interview stage. I'm a student, who is 18 looking for some part time work. I have about 2 months of sales assistant experience, and 2 months of volunteering experience, living in Birmingham.

I've applied too:
Boots
Body Shop
Next
Superdrug
River Island
Subway
House of Fraser
Vans
Poundland
CeX
JD
Footlocker
Tesco
Pizza hut
Costa
Starbucks
Argos
Wilko
Boost Juice Bars
Marks and Spencer
Holland and Barrett
Aldi
Lidl

I think these are the ones I remember from the top of my head, I've been rejected from about 80% of them and the rest didn't bother replying so I assume rejection.

I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How is your CV?
Reply 2
Original post by WhoDaresWins
How is your CV?

I've blacked out the personal details, e.g. Name/Address/Contact details/schools

https://s16.postimg.org/a60ytxwth/image.png
It looks like you've applied for role in a bunch large businesses. How about working at a sole trader, such as a fish and chip shop, convenience store or a barbers? I live in Birmingham too and i don't really know anyone who has found it difficult to find a mediocre job. I know for a fact that many young people work in McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Frankly working with a sole trader would probably be better - you get to build a relationship with the manager/owner and things like wages and hours are a lot easier to discuss/change.

I am only 16 and working at a local fish and chip shop - and I earn £7/h.
Original post by bhfn
I've blacked out the personal details, e.g. Name/Address/Contact details/schools

Personally for the GCSEs I would just write '11 A*-C grades at GCSE including Mathematics and English'.
Also your CV looks decent to me, maybe its the layout?
Reply 5
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Personally for the GCSEs I would just write '11 A*-C grades at GCSE including Mathematics and English'.
Also your CV looks decent to me, maybe its the layout?

The layout is slightly better when I have it in 'Print Layout' on Word, unlike the view I showed you which is 'Read Mode'.

https://postimg.org/image/mqu1nrws7/
https://postimg.org/image/5etp2c3av/
Reply 6
Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy
It looks like you've applied for role in a bunch large businesses. How about working at a sole trader, such as a fish and chip shop, convenience store or a barbers? I live in Birmingham too and i don't really know anyone who has found it difficult to find a mediocre job. I know for a fact that many young people work in McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Frankly working with a sole trader would probably be better - you get to build a relationship with the manager/owner and things like wages and hours are a lot easier to discuss/change.

I am only 16 and working at a local fish and chip shop - and I earn £7/h.

How would you recommend approaching them, just asking if they have any vacancies and hand in my CV?
I notice lots of grammar mistakes in your CV. Maybe proofread and sort them out might help a little.
Reply 8
Original post by chazwomaq
I notice lots of grammar mistakes in your CV. Maybe proofread and sort them out might help a little.

if you don't mind, could you post some of the stuff? English isn't my greatest subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
if you don't mind, could you post some of the stuff? English isn't my greatest subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

Penultimate sentence of personal statement is a fragment, not a full sentence.

Random capital G on Greeted.

Some of your bullet points are not sentences but others are. Fragments are OK in bullet points but be consistent.

Random semi-colon in one bullet point.

Your "doing" is redundant wrt your A level (you already mentioned studying and that verb still applies later in the sentence).
Reply 10
Penultimate sentence of personal statement is a fragment, not a full sentence.

Random capital G on Greeted.

Some of your bullet points are not sentences but others are. Fragments are OK in bullet points but be consistent.

Random semi-colon in one bullet point.

Your "doing" is redundant wrt your A level (you already mentioned studying and that verb still applies later in the sentence).

Thank you, I have made the changes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did not notice any significant problems with the writing. overall i found the CV well presented and worthy of consideration.

i am sure that if he keeps trying OP will find the right job.
Reply 12
Original post by bhfn

1 major error on your CV

You talk in the first person, employers don't like that (my boss himself told me this and I've come across it a lot online too).

Apart from that

Also

It's too bland, add a bit of colour, something which will stick out. Only include skills/qualifications which are relevant to the field you want to be in.

Small details like your computer capabilities, driving license and if you own your own vehicles also go a long way.

Good luck.
Bit conflicting with the person above, but I think first person is fine. There's not really another way to say a lot of things. I've written in first person for all my CVs that got me jobs.

Your CV looks fine, it is a bit wordy and can be significantly cut down in places, which might make employers overlook some important detail because they can't be bothered to read it all. Do you have any other experience from school you can add (even voluntary, like e.g. a school prefect or sports team captain that you can add under 'other positions of responsibility' or similar?) which would help bulk it out?

My main recommendation would be to write a different personal statement for each role you apply to - e.g. emphasise if your previous sales assistant role is in a sector very relevant to a job you're applying, say why you want to work for certain companies. Emphasise your experience in customer service and communication with different groups of people in your personal statement which you don't really do at the moment, but that will be the key thing they're looking for.
Reply 14
Original post by roflcakes1
Bit conflicting with the person above, but I think first person is fine. There's not really another way to say a lot of things. I've written in first person for all my CVs that got me jobs.

Your CV looks fine, it is a bit wordy and can be significantly cut down in places, which might make employers overlook some important detail because they can't be bothered to read it all. Do you have any other experience from school you can add (even voluntary, like e.g. a school prefect or sports team captain that you can add under 'other positions of responsibility' or similar?) which would help bulk it out?

My main recommendation would be to write a different personal statement for each role you apply to - e.g. emphasise if your previous sales assistant role is in a sector very relevant to a job you're applying, say why you want to work for certain companies. Emphasise your experience in customer service and communication with different groups of people in your personal statement which you don't really do at the moment, but that will be the key thing they're looking for.

I've volunteered at YMCA, however I included that in the 'Experience'. I have written a new Personal statement, included the tips you gave me, as well as some mentoring I do at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there's any vacancies, try Greggs. I worked there for several months and now my sister works there, I think it's pretty easy to get a job there
Original post by bhfn

Open a thread in CV Help and we can sort it out in there. You've got a potentially quite strong CV, but it's so hidden in a load of clutter that employers aren't bothering to dig the good stuff out.
Original post by zKlown
1 major error on your CV

You talk in the first person, employers don't like that (my boss himself told me this and I've come across it a lot online too).

Apart from that

Also

It's too bland, add a bit of colour, something which will stick out. Only include skills/qualifications which are relevant to the field you want to be in.

Small details like your computer capabilities, driving license and if you own your own vehicles also go a long way.

Good luck.

It's not that clear cut. You can write it in either first or third person. Some employers might have preferences, but the important thing is to write it in a fluid, compact style that works for you and don't mix first and third person in the writing.

See here for some good tips on CVs:

http://www.hope.ac.uk/gateway/careers/careerdevelopment/applicationsinterviewsandselection/writingacv/
Meh, job hunting sucks.

But, I'm sure you'll have some luck soon, just keep trying. :smile:
Original post by bhfn
How would you recommend approaching them, just asking if they have any vacancies and hand in my CV?

Walk in (or call - but a direct face-to-face approach will always be better), ask to see the manager and ask if they currently need to recruit new staff. Most won't even ask for your CV, but it wouldn't hurt to keep it on you.

If they say yes, they'll probably just invite you around for a trial day or something. If they say no, ask if they would be willing to take down your details (name and phone number) and ask them to give you a call if anything comes up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending