The Student Room Group

No Money left what do i do?

Hey guys, so as the title says, I've no money left, my rent is paid up until New Year, i have enough food to last me the next 1-2 weeks but i don't have enough money to travel to Uni or elsewhere, I've just got a new job but don't start for another 9 days and then my first pay day won't come until around the end of November. I was sent a letter back in July/August saying that i would get bursary, but I've yet to receive it and as far as i'm aware, everybody else has received theirs. When i called regarding this earlier i was told if it doesn't go in today then i most likely wont receive it (not the greatest help but oh well)
Borrowing money from family isn't an option as they are paying off debts/have to pay for childcare etc, i can't borrow from friends as they are all students also. Also before anyone says i should have budgeted better, I had to use the last of my student finance that would have lasted me another week or so minimum to travel to Scotland at the last minute for a family funeral.

What should i do? I don't want to drop out of my course but the way things are looking, i might have to if i cant find a way to travel there.
Reply 1
Original post by CSG7
Hey guys, so as the title says, I've no money left, my rent is paid up until New Year, i have enough food to last me the next 1-2 weeks but i don't have enough money to travel to Uni or elsewhere, I've just got a new job but don't start for another 9 days and then my first pay day won't come until around the end of November. I was sent a letter back in July/August saying that i would get bursary, but I've yet to receive it and as far as i'm aware, everybody else has received theirs. When i called regarding this earlier i was told if it doesn't go in today then i most likely wont receive it (not the greatest help but oh well)
Borrowing money from family isn't an option as they are paying off debts/have to pay for childcare etc, i can't borrow from friends as they are all students also. Also before anyone says i should have budgeted better, I had to use the last of my student finance that would have lasted me another week or so minimum to travel to Scotland at the last minute for a family funeral.

What should i do? I don't want to drop out of my course but the way things are looking, i might have to if i cant find a way to travel there.

This may sound frivolous, but have you considered street performing? You could make a few hundred pounds in a day if you have any talents
Original post by CSG7

Have you made an appointment with your university's Student Services to see if there are any hardship funds you can access?
Original post by CSG7

Chase up that bursary asap. Do you have an overdraft?
Reply 4
Original post by ToussJ
This may sound frivolous, but have you considered street performing? You could make a few hundred pounds in a day if you have any talents

I wish i had any talents worthy of performing, unless belching the alphabet still counts as talent?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Have you made an appointment with your university's Student Services to see if there are any hardship funds you can access?

I didn't know about hardship funds, i'll make an appointment ASAP, thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
Chase up that bursary asap. Do you have an overdraft?

Yeah i'm gonna try, nope i don't have an overdraft, been refused for it, cant even get a student account anywhere.
Original post by CSG7
Yeah i'm gonna try, nope i don't have an overdraft, been refused for it, cant even get a student account anywhere.

Is your credit history pretty bad for some reason?
Reply 8
Original post by CSG7

Considering you don't have many options. I'd advice you to do what I did back in my Uni days and still do as I'm on my gap year and didn't apply for any jobs as I wanted to relax. However, as I have started to get depressed with all this extra time and being alone at home while my friends are either doing further studies or jobs. Anyway, go to any local takeaway shops and ask if they want someone to advertise for them. They might give you leaflets for you to go house to house and drop in their letterboxes. They don't give much (for every 500 leaflets, they may give you £20. That's the on going rate for any takeaway shop as I do it for three local takeaways - I just don't tell them that I'm doing it for any other takeaways because then they won't give it to you). I manage to do 1000 leaflets a day. It is good for exercising as well and get £40.

This is what I do. But, I would also chase up that bursary ASAP. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I know this is cliché advice but make sure you let people know what is going on. The worst thing that could happen is that no one knows you are struggling financially and you end up dropping out of uni or with a huge overdraft or in debt to loan companies. Your university will be aware that students struggle financially, and they will want to help you out! In the meantime, make sure you are cutting out unnecessary spendings such as alcohol. Use what food you have to cook yourself some meals that you can freeze and last you longer as backup. If you have some spare time you could drop out adverts as a dog walker/babysitter/errand runner to the houses in the locak area and see if you could earn a bit that way before your job starts. Hope everything works out okay.
Original post by CSG7
I didn't know about hardship funds, i'll make an appointment ASAP, thanks!

Great - good luck with it. They really should be able to help you if can show that you literally have no money left. I'd make sure they know the urgency of it so you can get to see them as soon as poss.
Reply 11
Is your credit history pretty bad for some reason?

Yeah for some reason i have a really bad credit score, I've never missed a payment on my credit card, i only have one card also so the debt doesn't pile up. Always bugged me as my credit report doesn't even look that bad.
Original post by CSG7
Yeah for some reason i have a really bad credit score, I've never missed a payment on my credit card, i only have one card also so the debt doesn't pile up. Always bugged me as my credit report doesn't even look that bad.

That's strange that you get rejected if you never missed a payment,are you on the electrol roll at the right address?
Reply 13
Original post by Saba XD
Considering you don't have many options. I'd advice you to do what I did back in my Uni days and still do as I'm on my gap year and didn't apply for any jobs as I wanted to relax. However, as I have started to get depressed with all this extra time and being alone at home while my friends are either doing further studies or jobs. Anyway, go to any local takeaway shops and ask if they want someone to advertise for them. They might give you leaflets for you to go house to house and drop in their letterboxes. They don't give much (for every 500 leaflets, they may give you £20. That's the on going rate for any takeaway shop as I do it for three local takeaways - I just don't tell them that I'm doing it for any other takeaways because then they won't give it to you). I manage to do 1000 leaflets a day. It is good for exercising as well and get £40.

This is what I do. But, I would also chase up that bursary ASAP. Good luck.

My nearest takeaway is 2 miles away but i guess that's not too far, i'll ring them up and see if they have anything i can do, thanks!

Original post by mdowling
I know this is cliché advice but make sure you let people know what is going on. The worst thing that could happen is that no one knows you are struggling financially and you end up dropping out of uni or with a huge overdraft or in debt to loan companies. Your university will be aware that students struggle financially, and they will want to help you out! In the meantime, make sure you are cutting out unnecessary spendings such as alcohol. Use what food you have to cook yourself some meals that you can freeze and last you longer as backup. If you have some spare time you could drop out adverts as a dog walker/babysitter/errand runner to the houses in the locak area and see if you could earn a bit that way before your job starts. Hope everything works out okay.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 14
That's strange that you get rejected if you never missed a payment,are you on the electrol roll at the right address?

That's what i thought as well, Yeah I changed it when i moved here 2 years ago, i know that usually you need to be on the electoral roll for 3 years or more but 2 years isn't that bad. Do you know if family debts are ever considered when it comes to this?
Original post by CSG7
That's what i thought as well, Yeah I changed it when i moved here 2 years ago, i know that usually you need to be on the electoral roll for 3 years or more but 2 years isn't that bad. Do you know if family debts are ever considered when it comes to this?

Unless you somehow have a financial association with them on your report it shouldn't. I ve gotten an overdraft with 2 months at an address,your situation does seem a little strange.
Original post by CSG7
My nearest takeaway is 2 miles away but i guess that's not too far, i'll ring them up and see if they have anything i can do, thanks!
)

No problem. It is just that it is better than nothing as you are not starting your job soon and the pay day is far away too. It requires hard work and walking but I'm sure you can do it.
1. You answered your own question, chase up the bursary. I would consider going in, in person and not leaving till you had seen someone who could give you answers. Dp check you understand the basis on which the bursaries are awarded and if refused then ask on what basis.
2. Then chase up to see if you can get a hardship grant from the Uni (may or may not be the same thing as the bursary).
OOops I see O/D has been refused.
3. The SU normally has a hardship fund of its own, just small amounts to tide you over and which are expected to be paid back quite quickly. It wll be on the website.

Seen people in a lot worse situations and you did the right thing by paying your rent. Try and work over Christmas so you cna get ahead.
Your other laternative is to sell things you can do without. Assuming ofc you have anything worth selling.

ps might be worth preparing yourself a budget showing where all your money goes or has gone since the start to term. That will spped up their ability to get a handle on the situation. Thye might ask you to fill one out anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending