The Student Room Group

History coursework help! (black rights)

"In the context of the years 1845 to 1945 to what extent was the emancipation proclamation of 1863 a turning point in the struggle for black rights in the USA" I'm really struggling and wondering if anyone could help
https://historyrethought.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/a-level-history-coursework-essay/

This example of coursework is answering a slightly different question but it looks like a helpful example.

I googled "black rights history coursework" and quite a few helpful links come up.
Original post by harley_
"In the context of the years 1845 to 1945 to what extent was the emancipation proclamation of 1863 a turning point in the struggle for black rights in the USA" I'm really struggling and wondering if anyone could help

Depends on what angle you want to approach this in. I would say that the Emancipation Proclamation is a turning point in the struggle for black rights because of its symbolic gesture, however, since it was not binding (only applicable to states that seceded) it was only a symbolic gesture that had no legal binding meaning. Besides then came the Jim Crow laws which basically put back a lot of progress that was made in the struggle for black rights.
Reply 3
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
https://historyrethought.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/a-level-history-coursework-essay/

This example of coursework is answering a slightly different question but it looks like a helpful example.

I googled "black rights history coursework" and quite a few helpful links come up.

Thank you. This was actually really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
Depends on what angle you want to approach this in. I would say that the Emancipation Proclamation is a turning point in the struggle for black rights because of its symbolic gesture, however, since it was not binding (only applicable to states that seceded) it was only a symbolic gesture that had no legal binding meaning. Besides then came the Jim Crow laws which basically put back a lot of progress that was made in the struggle for black rights.

I honestly don't know what angle to approach with as our teacher wants us to do it independently so I'm just looking for any kind of guidance haha. Thank you.
Original post by harley_
I honestly don't know what angle to approach with as our teacher wants us to do it independently so I'm just looking for any kind of guidance haha. Thank you.

Do you have any specific preference of what stance you want to take? History can be argued from many different perspectives.
does anyone of the examplar aqa a2 coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending