The Student Room Group

Why do some young people pretend to be right-wing

I'm right wing myself, hardcore Brexit supporter, and would probably vote Trump if I lived in the US tbh because of some Clinton policies. However I've noticed a lot of young people these days (esp working class ones, sadly) use being "right wing" as an excuse to act stupidly, make obviously racist remarks (as opposed to just being, say, anti immigration) and think up straw SJWs.

I think the left has gone too far but mostly in the US. If you are in the UK chances are you have no reason to whine 99% of the time, and no white men like us are not being oppressed here, nor is anyone else.

What's the reason for this? Is it just young people trying to be "edgy"? :rolleyes: #wewereallteenagersonce
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great timing of your post.
On the BBC news today Knowsley council on merseyside just commissioned a report that showed that young white males from poor backgrounds (the vast majority of young males in Knowsley fall ino this catergory) are the single most disadvantaged ethnic group in the country and are calling for more grammer schools to improve their chances.
Labour council too btw.
Original post by PrinceHarrys
I'm right wing myself, hardcore Brexit supporter, and would probably vote Trump if I lived in the US tbh because of some Clinton policies. However I've noticed a lot of young people these days (esp working class ones, sadly) use being "right wing" as an excuse to act stupidly, make obviously racist remarks (as opposed to just being, say, anti immigration) and think up straw SJWs.

I think the left has gone too far but mostly in the US. If you are in the UK chances are you have no reason to whine 99% of the time, and no white men like us are not being oppressed here, nor is anyone else.

What's the reason for this? Is it just young people trying to be "edgy"? #wewereallteenagersonce

Right wing thinking is simple and backwards.
Left wing thinking is complex, outsmarting nation to progress to a better society.
Corbyn is not an example, he would be electable in about 100 years maybe but not now.
Right wing moves more left as the years go by and its left wing movements causing this, go and look up Liberal Party who ruled, compare that to the same political wing now. Also check conservatives throughout its history, see if their the same " right wing "
Original post by ckfeister

Right wing moves more left as the years go by and its left wing movements causing this, go and look up Liberal Party who ruled, compare that to the same political wing now. Also check conservatives throughout its history, see if their the same " right wing "

There's truth in this. For everyone that claims the government, a particular party, or the nation as a whole has taken a "lurch to the right", ignores the long and gradual shift to the left in modern times. The Tories of today are unrecognisable from the Tories of even 20 years ago, never mind 50 years ago. Same with the US/UK divide. Bernie Sanders would be a hard right wing politician here with the policies he currently endorses.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
Bernie Sanders would be a hard right wing politician here with the policies he currently endorses.

Don't be ridiculous, he would be seen as labouresque centrist at the very most.
Original post by Wōden
Don't be ridiculous, he would be seen as labouresque centrist at the very most.

Forget everything else, he wants privatised healthcare. Sure, it's in the context of the US system - but that puts him outside any politician here.
Reply 6
Forget everything else, he wants privatised healthcare. Sure, it's in the context of the US system - but that puts him outside any politician here.

No he doesn't. He has said many times he favours a state universal healthcare system.
Original post by PrinceHarrys

What's the reason for this? Is it just young people trying to be "edgy"? #wewereallteenagersonce

Yep, they want to be different to the 'PC lefties', when they're just as annoying and over-the-top tbf.:tongue:
Original post by caravaggio2
are calling for more grammer schools to improve their chances.
Labour council too btw.

:naughty:
The right is winning the political argument in both the US and UK. Brexit was one example of that, and if you think Clinton winning would disprove this, think again. The fact that someone as extreme as Trump is even close is extraordinary.

Why? The left has disappeared up its own rear end with all this safe space, check your privilege cr@p. No one believes all their identity politics rubbish, except a few deluded students who will grow out of it, and some middle aged Trots who need to get a life.

With the left risible, and incapable of being taken seriously, if
you don't like the centre, the establishment, where else is there to go but the radical, populist right?
Right wing thinking is simple and backwards.
Left wing thinking is complex, outsmarting nation to progress to a better society.

Division for left and right is simple and inacurrate.
Original post by PTMalewski
Division for left and right is simple and inacurrate.

What?
What?

You condemn simplification of things while you do simplify in most extreme manner.
Original post by PTMalewski
You condemn simplification of things while you do simplify in most extreme manner.

How else am I meant to say it that doesn't end up in 1 paragraph each and make people bored of reading it?

Right = traditional = slower progress/no progress
Left = change

WAT? He has said like million times that he wants universal healthcare. Check his website. He would be comfortably left wing here.
It just sounds to me as if you are trying to discredit the alternative right. The fact is the elite are hellbent on abandoning traditional values in favour of things transgenderism and the LGBT agenda and native white people are now not only the highest underperforming demographic nationally but they are not even an ethnic majority in their own capital.
How else am I meant to say it that doesn't end up in 1 paragraph each and make people bored of reading it?

Left = change

Weasel words.

Anyone would think that "progress" = improvement, and that change is always ipso facto for the better,

What the left argues for, "safe spaces" where the terminally obtuse can't be "triggered" and white people "checking their privilege"', or any criticism of Muslim head choppers is " Islamophobic" is progress backwards and change for the worst.

No wonder the ideas of the right, ethno nationalism, resolution against terrorism and Islamism, immigration controls and none of the open borders bull$hit is so wildly popular.

Progress? Don't make me laugh.
Original post by astutehirstute
Weasel words.

Anyone would think that "progress" = improvement, and that change is always ipso facto for the better,

What the left argues for, "safe spaces" where the terminally obtuse can't be "triggered" and white people "checking their privilege"', or any criticism of Muslim head choppers is " Islamophobic" is progress backwards and change for the worst.

No wonder the ideas of the right, ethno nationalism, resolution against terrorism and Islamism, immigration controls and none of the open borders bull$hit is so wildly popular.

Progress? Don't make me laugh.

Wtf are you talking about? Tony Blair was white and so is like 80% of UK population, blacks are very disadvantaged here when applying for a job, don't use far left views to make it sound like your correct.

Left = change

Right Wing doesn't necessarily mean Conservative or vicea/versa; I don't think many people could realistically class Thatcher as a Conservative when you consider how radical her reforms were back in the late 70s & early 80s.
Original post by Tempest II
Right Wing doesn't necessarily mean Conservative or vicea/versa; I don't think many people could realistically class Thatcher as a Conservative when you consider how radical her reforms were back in the late 70s & early 80s.

She was a RADICAL right wing politican.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending