The Student Room Group

I disagree with BLM UK.

So, I predict a lot of hate for this, but I am merely stating facts. BLM UK claims that a 'disproportionate' number of deaths occur in police custody of ethnic minorities. So I decided to go and look up the real statistics (and yes I can quote the sources and they are considered to be independent). So according to the 2011 census 86% of the UK identify as 'White British'... so 14% are of ethnic minorities. It doesn't take a genius to work that out.Now an independent inquest found that, what I think is, a surprisingly large number of deaths in police custody between 1990 and 2016 it found that the police had been directly responsible for the deaths of 1578 people (of all ethnicities) this includes shootings, pursuits, contact and custody.
Now the same site quotes the data for ethnic minorities over the same period and for the same reasons. The number is 157. Now anyone who has even a vague mathematical talent would see instantly that that is just under 10%. So, for a group that represent 14% of the population they make up <10% of the deaths in custody and they are kicking up a fuss?
With this knowledge surely you must also see their existence is nonsense. How can anyone with a sane mind support this blatant error?
And the thing which annoys me more is that BLM UK have the audacity to claim 'thousands' of black people have lost their lives due to police bullying and racism by the police since 1990, especially when fewer than 2000 people of all ethnicities have died.
My sources:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Well yeah everybody knew it was daft, our police don't really shoot anyone and that's the original BLM's big problem over in gunland.
Ok
So why do you think you'll get hate? I think it would be interesting to see any counter-arguments. Don't take counter-arguments as necessarily being hate.
BLM is largely irrelevant in the uk. we dony have the same problems as america does
But forget BLM UK. I disagree with BLM in general.
Reply 6
I haven't paid much attention to BLM UK, but I live in an incredibly ethnically diverse area. Though I don't know of brutality that has occurred, I do understand that the stop and search police power has been abused, especially with young black males. Though more common of teenagers that are suspected of having some sort of antisocial behaviour, I have witnessed an 11 y/o getting frisked rather roughly, and he wasn't being antisocial in the slightest. I remember some boys in our class talking about being stopped and searched in year 8, and even though they weren't model students at all and could be very rowdy, they didn't strike me as violent either.

Now, I have no stats or facts to back this post up, because I honestly can't be bothered to search for any. Therefore, I could have a distorted view just because it's more concentrated around me. Regardless, I do see why there might be such a thing as BLM UK though according to stats from OP's post it isn't very necessary.
The claims of BLM USA aren't necessarily any more truthful.

When things like national and local crime rates are taken into account, as well as the demographics in those localles, the rates at which black Americans are killed by police start to make sense.

Way more white people (armed and unarmed) are killed by US police each year, but we almost never see them on the news, so it makes it look far worse for black people than it really is.
I disagree with BLM full stop. They are a threat to the police force and shoud be classified as a terrorist group.
An interesting piece by Tree of Logic a Black anti BLM woman exposing BLM as a racist LGBT group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3eeaQOKMqk pt 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bym5mvqSBeQ pt 2
Original post by blue n white army
BLM is largely irrelevant in the uk. we dony have the same problems as america does

Even in American the BLM movement is making a mockery of itself time and time again.

I'm not denying that there is an element of racism within the US police force, and there are of course incidents where police have shot and killed black people when there was no justification for them to have opened fire, however how the BLM movement talk about it makes them look ridiculous.

Every single time a black person is killed by the police the BLM movement start off spouting the same rhetoric, that they were innocent, that they were just going about their business and that the police officer that shot them was nothing more than a racist thug. However more often than not any shooting of a black individual by the police can be traced back to one simple thing, the person in question failing to follow instructions. Failing to keep their hands visible when told to do so, failing to stay still when told to do so, failing to leave their vehicle when told to do so, and acting in a manner that gave the police reason to believe that they were a threat.

It's really not complicated, they live in a country where the police have to assume that any person they stop can and does have a firearm on their person. Reason being that a weapon can be drawn and discharged in well under a second so if the police are being complacent then it is easily possible for a suspect to draw and fire before the police could respond, and as such the police are trained to treat every single person as armed until they know for a fact that they are not.

Now obviously the racist factions that exist within the police force need to be eradicated but the single thing that would make the biggest impact on the number of people shot by the police would be for more people to actually follow instructions and avoid giving the police any reason to view them as a possible threat.
Original post by Dandaman1
The claims of BLM USA aren't necessarily any more truthful.

When things like national and local crime rates are taken into account, as well as the demographics in those localles, the rates at which black Americans are killed by police start to make sense.

Way more white people (armed and unarmed) are killed by US police each year, but we almost never see them on the news, so it makes it look far worse for black people than it really is.

Let's not forget their typical rhetoric which is that any black person who is shot and killed by the police was nothing more than an innocent person who was just going about their private business.
No mention of the fact that black men are roughly 6% of the population but are responsible for roughly 50% of the homacides.
No mention of the fact that black men and youths are 7x more likely to violently resist arrest than other ethnic groups.
There will be racist violent police, just as there are racist violent black men, but these confrontations with police don't just appear out of thin air.
Original post by mackemforever
Let's not forget their typical rhetoric which is that any black person who is shot and killed by the police was nothing more than an innocent person who was just going about their private business.

The guns were planted, they were good boys trying to turn their lives around and were loved by everyone. Their moms said so.
Original post by blue n white army

Racism amongst BME is still very much an issue here in the UK, it just doesn't necessarily result in deaths
Original post by #ChaosKass
I disagree with BLM full stop. They are a threat to the police force and shoud be classified as a terrorist group.

Lol
Well thank **** no one is falling for this ******** anymore :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Dandaman1
The guns were planted, they were good boys trying to turn their lives around and were loved by everyone. Their moms said so.

"Aspiring rapper".
Reply 18
Original post by DarthRoar
Well thank **** no one is falling for this ******** anymore :biggrin:

Falling for what anymore?
Black Lives Matter is another George Soros funded ruse to create a race war in western countries and increase the number of criminals and corresponding state control/surveillence measures.

Latest