The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Statistics / SPSS Tuition in Leeds?

Hello! I'm the partner of a University of Leeds student who is in need of some stats tuition and help with SPSS. She's studying an MSc at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, brilliantly passionate about wildlife and in particular small invertebrates; however maths she's a lot less keen about.

I'd really like to help find someone who can help her out with SPSS and get her to grips with her stats work. I am not asking for someone to do her work or collude on academic assignments, I would like a tutor (paid or not) who can help her out.

Sadly I'm not in Leeds myself and having never done any stats either there's nothing I can really do directly to help, so I'm at my wit's end here really. If anyone can refer me to a professional tutor who will be able to meet her for a few sessions that'd be great, alternatively any stats students or graduates who may have the time again that'd be amazing. If the latter I'm more than happy to pay as well, not going to ask anyone to "tutor for the exposure".

Anyway thanks!
Reply 1
I'm having tbe same problem but just started to use Discovering Stats/SPSS by Andy Field which is actually very good. Everyone has been recommending it as the only book you'll ever need for stats. It's written very informally which makes it easy if you have a bad attention span and he acknowledges that most life and social sciences students don't know a thing about maths and not much about computers either. Look for a PDF online it's very easy to find. If that's still not helping then maybe see if her uni offer workshops for stats - they most likely do it for 2nd year science undergrads who are doing Research Methods modules.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Sophtware
Hello! I'm the partner of a University of Leeds student who is in need of some stats tuition and help with SPSS. She's studying an MSc at the Faculty of Biological Sciences, brilliantly passionate about wildlife and in particular small invertebrates; however maths she's a lot less keen about.

I'd really like to help find someone who can help her out with SPSS and get her to grips with her stats work. I am not asking for someone to do her work or collude on academic assignments, I would like a tutor (paid or not) who can help her out.

Sadly I'm not in Leeds myself and having never done any stats either there's nothing I can really do directly to help, so I'm at my wit's end here really. If anyone can refer me to a professional tutor who will be able to meet her for a few sessions that'd be great, alternatively any stats students or graduates who may have the time again that'd be amazing. If the latter I'm more than happy to pay as well, not going to ask anyone to "tutor for the exposure".

Anyway thanks!

I also did spss a couple of years ago as part of my sociology degree, and it is a bit tricky and overwhelming at first, but I agree the more you use the program, and pay attention in your lectures, and read the revision notes, pays off dividends. I also recommend using a data set, or creating one, and then taking some averages, making some graphs from the statistics, just to check that you can use it. I got a first for this particular exam, if I remember correctly, mainly because I listened to the revision tutorials our lecturer posted for us online. I don't think I am allowed to share these, and don't even have them any more even if I could, but you understand what I mean huh?

John.
Reply 3
Original post by Petulia
Discovering Stats/SPSS by Andy Field

Thank you! I've got her a copy of this now, will see how she gets on! As for workshops she hasn't mentioned any, however when she's spoken to academic staff she's basically been told "you're a masters student, you should know this by now" which isn't exactly constructive; additionally she says free one to one tuition has a very long waiting list hence me trying to see if I can pay for some help.

Original post by john2054
I also did spss a couple of years ago as part of my sociology degree, and it is a bit tricky and overwhelming at first, but I agree the more you use the program, and pay attention in your lectures, and read the revision notes, pays off dividends. I also recommend using a data set, or creating one, and then taking some averages, making some graphs from the statistics, just to check that you can use it. I got a first for this particular exam, if I remember correctly, mainly because I listened to the revision tutorials our lecturer posted for us online. I don't think I am allowed to share these, and don't even have them any more even if I could, but you understand what I mean huh?

John.

Thanks for your reply, I think from what she's said before the learning resources offered at Leeds can be a bit underwhelming, and the face to face support equally so. I'm not there on the ground with her so I can't back any of it up but I'm certain she'll be pursuing all the regular academic channels, and I know she'll be very attentive in lectures, she does take it all very seriously. Unfortunately she didn't get into this field to do stats and has no major plans to do it afterwards - mostly I think because she understands maths isn't her strong point - but she just needs it to get a pass here then she can go back to trapping moths and playing with chainsaws (both valid academic activities apparently).
Reply 4
http://spssvideotutor.com/

she could use this, or many other spss/averages tutorials from google/youtube for help?

good luck
Reply 5
Original post by john2054
http://spssvideotutor.com/

she could use this, or many other spss/averages tutorials from google/youtube for help?

good luck

Thanks John I've passed that over to her as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Sophtware
Thanks John I've passed that over to her as well.

I think that one may be a paid website, but there are many other resources out there, both on google and youtube, that are free. Tell her some digging on the 'net, can pay dividends. Then she just needs to try and find the time and space to sit down and watch some of them??

John/
Reply 7
i am looking for someone to help me with SPSS as i only have 1 week before submitting some work, paid in london would be fantastic, help, overwhelmed.

Quick Reply

Latest