The Student Room Group

naming ketones

if you have propanone, in answer to a question would you say propanone or propan-2-one, despite it being the only positional isomer
(that's still a ketone).
even though i feel the 2 is unnecessary i feel like examiners would like it anyway
Original post by Toasticide
if you have propanone, in answer to a question would you say propanone or propan-2-one, despite it being the only positional isomer
(that's still a ketone).
even though i feel the 2 is unnecessary i feel like examiners would like it anyway

Don't we all love chemistry?

No you don't put a 2 in because there's no other place the =O can go, it must be stuck on a carbon which has 2 carbons on either side of it. The only place for this is in the middle, if the =O went on either end of the molecule it'd be an aldehyde right?
Reply 2
oh i know itd be an aldehyde if it was at the end, it's just sometimes mark schemes can be overly specific and i didnt know if you'd have to say carbon 2 since for all the examiners know, you may not even know what the prop- prefix means!
I hope you get what you mean but thanks for the answer :smile:
oh i know itd be an aldehyde if it was at the end, it's just sometimes mark schemes can be overly specific and i didnt know if you'd have to say carbon 2 since for all the examiners know, you may not even know what the prop- prefix means!
I hope you get what you mean but thanks for the answer

Remember the IUPAC naming system?

Remember we don't say ethan-1-ol? because no matter how you arrange it it'll always have an OH at the end of the chain :biggrin:

random fact i found out you can't write propan-1-ol as 1-hydroxy propane because the group is supposed to be in the name of the main molecule, other stuff like esters and carboxyilic acids take precedence over the alcohol group and that's when you can put hydroxy as a prefix
Reply 4
(that's still a ketone).

As long as you get them right, adding unnecessary numbers will never be marked down. Whereas leaving out important numbers, e.g. pentanone will lose marks.

Quick Reply

Latest