The Student Room Group

How come binge drinking is demonised among chavs but not students

It seems to me like the bulk of the mess on Fri/Sat is done by people that should know better. I've seen far more loutish obnoxious behaviour from students than working class people in town. In fact all the cab drivers, the homeless and lads on the pull all tend to look on at this crowd with mild bemusement.
Very good point.
Obviously because we're simply better, higher standard of humans than those working class peasant...
Original post by CTLevers
Obviously because we're simply better, higher standard of humans than those working class peasant...

I really hope your being ironic.
Original post by TheSundaySound

Whether he is or isn't that's actually the impression I get from some people.

Yes ;D, no human is better than others, no matter what your educational standard is. An honest response to the question: I believe its because students are seen are more proactive or at least in the future going to be proactive, beneficial members of society. Chavs are seen primarily as a nuisance to society and aren't going to ever go into these "graduate" level employments. Therefore Chavs being seen causing a nuisance while binging in the city centre are being seen as the stereotype proven.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes ;D, no human is better than others, no matter what your educational standard is. An honest response to the question: I believe its because students are seen are more proactive or at least in the future going to be proactive, beneficial members of society. Chavs are seen primarily as a nuisance to society and aren't going to ever go into these "graduate" level employments. Therefore Chavs being seen causing a nuisance while binging in the city centre are being seen as the stereotype proven.

You can't possibly believe that lol
Reply 7
because nobody likes chavs just like the Germans didn't like the Jews, soon the chavs will revolt and claim their own state and name it 'chavistan' and they will use the chav bible to back up their claim.
Because students are studying as well as getting drunk lol.
And, chavs, mostly, aren't.
Original post by difeo
You can't possibly believe that lol

Yes I do :P We are all humans, may lead differing lives but when you really get down to it, we are all equal.

Students should lead by example. If only for the fact that undesirable behaviours would surely put any career ambitions in jeopardy. Plus I'm sure if youths went on masse to their home suburb and started trashing it their parents would be the first to be twitching the curtains/writing a letter in the local paper.
Reply 11
Yes I do :P We are all humans, may lead differing lives but when you really get down to it, we are all equal.

So you consider yourself to be as bad as Hitler
Original post by difeo
So you consider yourself to be as bad as Hitler

I mean we are all equal in our right to do what we like. Like if I want to go out binge drinking as a student, a chav with a BTEC Level 1 in Basket Weaving should also be able to go out binge drinking without being judged more so than I would be.
Because the people with the power and influence to demonise others all went to university and recall how much fun they had at student parties but lack that level of empathy for the working/underclass people because they never identified as such.
cuz large parts of the student population are part of that liberal elite and the chavs keep it real and arent. you wont hear the chavs screaming like banshees running down the street after a night out it will be the students you hear.
Because the students usually stay within their own bubble.

I'd say that the experience of obnoxiousness will vary depending on area, in my city the students are basically peacekeepers, as soon as the students go home the police presence starts to multiply.
You have equated 'chavs' with 'working class' in your thread title and initial post. This is rather offensive to those 'working class' people who are very far away from being 'chavs' (itself a divisive and class-ridden derogatory term).
It seems to me like the bulk of the mess on Fri/Sat is done by people that should know better. I've seen far more loutish obnoxious behaviour from students than working class people in town. In fact all the cab drivers, the homeless and lads on the pull all tend to look on at this crowd with mild bemusement.

I've yet to see a member of the working class (unless religious or alcohol intolerant) condemn binge drinking or turn away alcohol.

Also working class does not equal chav

Quick Reply

Latest