The Student Room Group

Western dating culture needs dismantling

The anonymous individualised dating culture with all the various apps and websites is having extremely worrying effects on current society. It is turning people in to objects in a very similar fashion to the way in which people buy stuff off amazon. If this were not a country with an already sky high rate of single teen motherhood, divorce, family breakdown and single 40 year olds then it wouldn't be a problem, but instead we need to go back to the way things were pre 1960s. In fact I would advocate borrowing from our growing South Asian communities and actually discourage easy liaisons between young people prior to the completion of their education years. But at the very least courtship rituals need to be founded on personality and family connections, rather than immediate superficial judgements. If someone meets someone on their course that is fine or if the family want an arranged marriage then even better. But regardless a sea change in moral discipline needs to occur in British society and parents need to take a firm line on both pre-marital deviance and the use of Tinder; that way you reinforce the foundations of civilisational stability.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSundaySound
The anonymous individualised dating culture with all the various apps and websites is having extremely worrying effects on current society. It is turning people in to objects in a very similar fashion to the way in which people buy stuff off amazon. If this were not a country with an already sky high rate of single teen motherhood, divorce, family breakdown and single 40 year olds then it wouldn't be a problem, but instead we need to go back to the way things were pre 1960s. In fact I would advocate borrowing from our growing South Asian communities and actually discourage easy liaisons between young people prior to the completion of their education years. But at the very least courtship rituals need to be founded on personality and family connections, rather than immediate superficial judgements. If someone meets someone on their course that is fine or if the family want an arranged marriage then even better. But regardless a sea change in moral discipline needs to occur in British society and parents need to take a firm line on both pre-marital deviance and the use of Tinder; that way you reinforce the foundations of civilisational stability.

I forecast your going to be a far-right winger in the future.

Who cares? Let people do what they want.

also
I don't want to live through a cold war and anything else that happened bad before that time

and what if i dun wanna marry fam?
Original post by ckfeister
I forecast your going to be a far-right winger in the future.

Hurr durr someones opinions about dating clearly show that he is clearly far right wing.
Original post by will'o'wisp
Who cares? Let people do what they want.

also
I don't want to live through a cold war and anything else that happened bad before that time

and what if i dun wanna marry fam?

So many people in this country are dependent on state welfare cos of their own sloppiness. Meanwhile Indian and Chinese immigrants are outperforming us at what we used to do; it is clear that the live and let live school of thought is not doing us any favours. Traditional values and discipline every time.
Well that escalated quickly....

Anyway, I predict you will be banned in 5...4....3...
The anonymous individualised dating culture with all the various apps and websites is having extremely worrying effects on current society. It is turning people in to objects in a very similar fashion to the way in which people buy stuff off amazon.

Idk normally when people use an online dating app they charm the person a bit then meet them then charm them some more rather than putting in their card details and having them shipped over for their personal use.

If this were not a country with an already sky high rate of single teen motherhood, divorce, family breakdown and single 40 year olds then it wouldn't be a problem, but instead we need to go back to the way things were pre 1960s.
Pre-1960s? So women marry young and stay at home regardless of whether they actually want that or not? Great.

Is the teenage pregnancy rate higher or lower than it was in ye olde time when people married really young? I'd be genuinely interested to see if there's anything written about it. Divorce and family breakdown are interesting issues, as if people are genuinely unhappy together and can't make it work is it really better for them to stay together? Single 40 year olds seems a direct contradiction to your teenage pregnancy point, you want people to get together younger but also want teens to stop having babies. Curious...

In fact I would advocate borrowing from our growing South Asian communities and actually discourage easy liaisons between young people prior to the completion of their education years.

I have friends of the opposite sex, have done since I was like 14, does this disallow me having friends or...? Your description isn't very good.

But at the very least courtship rituals need to be founded on personality and family connections, rather than immediate superficial judgements

Only personality and totally ignore looks altogether? Don't see why people can't do both. Would probably build a stronger relationship if you're actually attracted to somebody you're dating.

Really don't understand what family connections have to do with any of it

If someone meets someone on their course that is fine

but muh family connections!

or if the family want an arranged marriage then even better.

Yes, let the family do all of it and don't let either party get much choice. What could possibly go wrong?

But regardless a sea change in moral discipline needs to occur in British society and parents need to take a firm line on both pre-marital deviance and the use of Tinder; that way you reinforce the foundations of civilisational stability.

The bolded things do not seem at all related to eachother and even if they were it doesn't seem to do the third thing you wanted it to do. I thought the foundations of civilisational stability started when cavemen decided maybe not being tribal and not murdering each other was a good way to go for everybody, rather than them deciding arranged marriage was the way to go and then suddenly civilised behaviour spawned outta nowhere.
We are indiscriminately banging our way to destruction
So many people in this country are dependent on state welfare cos of their own sloppiness. Meanwhile Indian and Chinese immigrants are outperforming us at what we used to do; it is clear that the live and let live school of thought is not doing us any favours. Traditional values and discipline every time.

what an idiot living in the past , probably an old person being a fool thinking they can go back to the good ol days
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Well that escalated quickly....

Anyway, I predict you will be banned in 5...4....3...

eyy you got it banned now xD
what an idiot living in the past , probably an old person being a fool thinking they can go back to the good ol days

Me and the mods are tight. :u:
Me and the mods are tight.

Well that's awesome, i just think religion is a waste of time....
Well that's awesome, i just think religion is a waste of time....

We're not really, they card me for every last thing. :rofl:

And, me too.
Not you again.
We're not really, they card me for every last thing.

And, me too.

Rip ;_;

woo someone agrees :biggrin:
Me and the mods are tight.

I noticed your little friend has gone a bit quiet.
Original post by 999tigger
I noticed your little friend has gone a bit quiet.

I know :rofl:, he's got lost now. :rofl:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not you again.

How many troll accounts as that person made? Continually posting often just crap and mockery/argument material, he eventually runs away from. it's been going on for months now, hate to think how long this sad life of his/her will go on for.
I only met 2 girls from tinder after swiping right for about 3 years, I did get many matches but most girls are on tinder for the attention, if anything we have a society obsessed with attention and not casual sex.

I haven't had any sex for a while so excuse my rent.
Original post by Anonymous
How many troll accounts as that person made? Continually posting often just crap and mockery/argument material, he eventually runs away from. it's been going on for months now, hate to think how long this sad life of his/her will go on for.

Loads although sadly I don't think that person is a troll. It genuinely seems like one of those extremists who just hates everything about Western civilisation.

Not an old person. It's a Muslim troll/extremist who wants Britain to be ruled by Sharia law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending