The Student Room Group

Lorry driver using phone kills 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37823457

Seems a good enough reason to me not to bring back the death sentence, but we do need a system that ensures ongoing suffering for scum like that. 10 years is also ridiculously short for killing a woman and 3 kids. I think the cost of keeping him in jail for life is well worth it. However the jail would need absolutely no human rights whatsoever.
Why should people who denied other people their basic rights (in this case the right to live) still get them?
Reply 1
It's pretty terrible. The worst thing is that there are loads of people who do this.
The law is a joke

If you're in a car and you kill someone, it's OK.

Wow 10 years for ending 4 lives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
The law is a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup always said it, no joke but if you wanted to kill someone you may as well run them over. Mount the curb and mow them down, you can say you "lost control of the vehicle", death by careless/reckless/dangerous driving, you can get ridicolously small sentences even when it was obviously your negligence.

Guys driving a ****ing lorry and is staring down at his phone, he's driving a lethal battering ram. What if he'd plowed into the back of another lorry carrying fuel for instance?

He gets 10 years for 4 deaths. Now lets say owning a handgun was legal, if I decided to fire off 6 rounds in random directions and killed a few people, you'd get a lot more than 10 years, looking down while driving a lorry (for what one article said was potentially 45 seconds on the lorrys cam) is on-par despite the differing scenario IMO.
Saw this on the news, feel sorry for the family and absolutely disgusting that drivers like this are around and should be a reminder to put the ****ing phone down.
Original post by Laomedeia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37823457

Seems a good enough reason to me not to bring back the death sentence, but we do need a system that ensures ongoing suffering for scum like that. 10 years is also ridiculously short for killing a woman and 3 kids. I think the cost of keeping him in jail for life is well worth it. However the jail would need absolutely no human rights whatsoever.
Why should people who denied other people their basic rights (in this case the right to live) still get them?

we need capital punishment and shaming back
Original post by Mathemagicien
I think we should have shaming as the punishment for a lot of crimes; it would save a lot of money, and there is less problem with them becoming more criminalised through contact with other prisoners.

sounds like a good plan to me
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
The law is a joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

So a TruckDriver runs down a school bus with 30 pupils on. He only get 10 years also???
Reply 8
Phone just shouldn't be used when driving. Full stop.
10 years for 4 people. It should have been the rest of his life after seeing the video.

Straight up murder
:bawling: :cry2: :frown:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Damn it; as a contrarian, you are putting me in an impossible position.

Fine; I think we should publicly waterboard criminals for certain crimes.

I think that could be suitable too, but only for a very specific case :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending