The Student Room Group

I have never visited a dentist but wisdom tooth is killing me

I know I am an idiot. I live in Scotland and I have never visited a dentist. Right now my lower wisdom tooth is trying to come out but half of it is still under the gum and my top teeth basically bite the gum and it's swollen and sore. I am quite sure it's called pericoronitis. I am embarrassed to visit the dentist and I am not even registered. I am embarrassed because I think my teeth are bad. Plus too much of my lower teeth are exposed, and they hurt.
Not to scare you but sometimes wisdoms don't erupt properly so getting it checked out is a good idea.
Original post by Anonymous
I know I am an idiot. I live in Scotland and I have never visited a dentist. Right now my lower wisdom tooth is trying to come out but half of it is still under the gum and my top teeth basically bite the gum and it's swollen and sore. I am quite sure it's called pericoronitis. I am embarrassed to visit the dentist and I am not even registered. I am embarrassed because I think my teeth are bad. Plus too much of my lower teeth are exposed, and they hurt.

So why else would you go to the dentist? To fit a set of tyres to your new car? It is the job of a dentist to sort out mankey teeth and give you advice on oral hygiene. When my wisdom tooth played up, it was one of the worst pain I ever experienced. However it took about an hour or so at the dentist to have it removed and thus cure the problem. I even went back to work after it and still got paid for the full shift.

Which is worse:

A bit of embarrassment
A whole lot of physical pain for a very long time
Reply 3
Original post by Laomedeia
So why else would you go to the dentist? To fit a set of tyres to your new car? It is the job of a dentist to sort out mankey teeth and give you advice on oral hygiene. When my wisdom tooth played up, it was one of the worst pain I ever experienced. However it took about an hour or so at the dentist to have it removed and thus cure the problem. I even went back to work after it and still got paid for the full shift.

Which is worse:

A bit of embarrassment
A whole lot of physical pain for a very long time

Niw that's what I call motivation. Cheers I have got an appointment for friday. I have a fear of dentists and my teeth are quite bad(atleast thats what I believe) so i could never get ovee the embarrasement andgather up the courage. But yeah hopefully I'll not miss the appointment
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Not to scare you but sometimes wisdoms don't erupt properly so getting it checked out is a good idea.

Thank you. Got registered today and got an appointment for friday. Although its a normal teeth checkup ill mention my wisdom tooth aswell
Thank you. Got registered today and got an appointment for friday. Although its a normal teeth checkup ill mention my wisdom tooth aswell

If its your first appointment they should take an x ray to see how your teeth are doing (i had no clue i had wisdom teeth until my last x ray:P)
Niw that's what I call motivation. Cheers I have got an appointment for friday. I have a fear of dentists and my teeth are quite bad(atleast thats what I believe) so i could never get ovee the embarrasement andgather up the courage. But yeah hopefully I'll not miss the appointment

Fear of dentists, doctors and hospitals is normal. However I remember the pain I was in. The toothache was actually more intense than the sting of any needle. In some way I was actually looking forward to it in the knowledge that once the anesthetic kicked in, my toothache would be over. Just a bit of soreness after. Haven't had any toothache or similar since.

I also use an electric toothbrush (nothing really expensive), would never go back to a manual one as I feel they are much more effective.
Trust me, your teeth feel so much better once a dentist has cleaned them. It's got to the point where I actually look forward to going now.
I also have wisdom teeth problems, I'm having one out soon and I'm so scared!
The problem is when you go to the dentists they judge you like you kill someone...i go to the dentist in Romania and in Uk and still i couldn t find a dentist who doesn t judge you,because they don t thing about your feelings and how are you like a person ...just doing the job...i think all the dentist should do pshichology before be a dentist...a see lots of causes with big dental problems ...and the same problem...shame to go at dentist...i hate to go at dentist but i don t have choice...otherwise i m gone have big problems with my gums and my teeth...i hope you gone have enough courage to go at dentist...and just thing about yourself even they are bad with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending