The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Nursing at Middlesex University

Hi I'm Melissa a third year undergraduate student at Middlesex University studying Bsc Hons Nursing. I am also course ambassador for Adult Nursing, Children's Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Adult European Nursing and Children's European Nursing.

I am available to answer any questions you have about Middlesex Nursing Courses, or about Middlesex University in general from a student perspective.

Melissa
Nursing Course Ambassador
Middlesex University

Scroll to see replies

Here are some general questions and answers about Nursing Courses at Middlesex University. If you have questions other than these, just ask :smile:

-Do you have to do a Maths and English Test at interview?

All prospective student who apply for nursing will be invited to carry out a Maths and English Test before they are interviewed. These tests have to be passed otherwise an invitation for interview will not be made. There are some revision tips on the MDX website.

-When will I start placement?

The course is split into two streams, (yellow and green) in your first year green will go out to placement 6 weeks into the course and yellow will go out to placement after christmas. You will be told which stream you are in during induction.

-Are there many exams?

During the first year there are no written exams, however there are practical exams to be carried out in order to demonstrate the clinical skills you have learned. There are also written assessments throughout the year.

-Does Nursing Courses get the same holidays other university courses?

No. All nursing courses generally tend to start before other courses and finish for holidays after the other courses. There are however reading weeks throughout the year, though not as many as other courses might have.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
A week in the life of a student nurse...

This week some of the mandatory training took place. It is important that as a student nurse that these mandatory training sessions are attended as they teach you how to carry out tasks in a way that is safe for the patient and protects yourself from injury. These are interactive sessions that are fun to attend with classmates, however they are the difference between a long or short lasting nursing career.

Middlesex University
Melissa :smile:

This week I found out where I will be for placement for the 10 weeks following the Christmas holidays!! I haven't been to this area before so it is a good chance to get lots of learning opportunities and to develop nursing skills I might not get the chance to develop if I wasn't given this placement.

Middlesex University
Why should I go to an applicant or pre-induction day?

If you are wondering if there is any point in attending an applicant or pre-induction day, then here are 5 reasons why you should attend:

1.Campus Tour - A tour of the campus shows you where you'll be sending the majority of the next 3 years of your life! It is important toes where you will be potentially studying. Not everything about the campus can be shown in photos. So you should come to an open-day to get a rough idea of your future surroundings.

2.Accommodation Tour - During open days there is also a tour of the nearest Halls of Residence (which is right across the road!) This tour will show you the kind of place you will be staying in for the first year of your university experience.

3.Meet MDX students - Throughout these open day's current MDX students will be attending and doing a variety of different activities. Track them down and find out what the university is really like from a students perspective.

4. Meet MDX staff - Throughout these open days MDX staff will be attending, especially if its a course specific event. Ask them anything from what to do prepare for interview, to what the course you're applying to entails.

5.Freeebies - Ok, so the freebies you get are more along the lines of prospectus', course information etc... but they do come in a free bag and you do get a free pen. And seeing as this is the nursing page, prospective nurses you will soon come to realise that you would love to have a free pen or 5...

Middlesex University

Dissertation, essays and dissertation (again). Ok so this week hasn't been the most exciting week a nursing student could have...but these things have to be done. On a more positive note, only 3 more weeks until Christmas Holiday's!!!

Middlesex University

This week there have been a lot of preparations for upcoming exams, essays and placement. Meetings with supervisors and groups for projects pretty much every day this week. Not to mention actual lectures to attend. 3rd year is full on, but not long now until graduation.

On another note was told this week that January is the time to start applying for first nursing jobs for when I've qualified. Will soon be let loose on my own!

Middlesex University
Reply 7
Hi Melissa ,
I have applied for MDX to study Child Nursing and have been invited to take the admissions test .
This was great news to me as MDX is my first choice , with the day drawing closer I am getting more and more anxious about the maths side of things.
Would you say that it's extremely difficult to pass ? , I am more struggling with getting my head around the drug calculations stuff .
Hi RaeLee,

In your invitation for the entry tests, there should be a link for maths and english revision. In this link will be the sort of questions you will be asked in the tests.

In my experience, the revision they put up is usually slightly more difficult than the actual test, so if you get onto the revision and start getting between 8/10 and 10/10 then theres no doubt you'll pass the entry test. You should find out your results within about a week.

I wouldn't worry too much about drug calculations at this point. They might ask you simple calculations in your entry test but nothing too complicated. You will get proper sessions that teach you how to carry out drug calculations when you get to second year, so theres really no need to worry about it at this stage.

I would also suggest to not forget about revising the english either, as that is just as important as passing the maths and you will be tested on that much sooner within your course.

Good luck with your test!

Original post by RaeLee
Hi Melissa ,
I have applied for MDX to study Child Nursing and have been invited to take the admissions test .
This was great news to me as MDX is my first choice , with the day drawing closer I am getting more and more anxious about the maths side of things.
Would you say that it's extremely difficult to pass ? , I am more struggling with getting my head around the drug calculations stuff .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Melissa at MDX
Hi I'm Melissa a third year undergraduate student at Middlesex University studying Bsc Hons Nursing. I am also course ambassador for Adult Nursing, Children's Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Adult European Nursing and Children's European Nursing.

I am available to answer any questions you have about Middlesex Nursing Courses, or about Middlesex University in general from a student perspective.

Melissa
Middlesex University

Hi Melissa, I know this is quite irrelevant but do you know anything about the interview process etc. for the Cardiac Physiology course?

Thanks
Hi Sayfi,

I don't know much about that course as I am only the ambassador for undergrad nursing courses.

But what I would suggest you do is become familiar with any recent articles/pieces of news around the subject and research a little bit into what the course entails as you are most likely to be asked about this. And just prepare yourself for questions like why you chose to study the course, and what interests you about it. Also if you have any experience working within cardiology don't be afraid to use that and draw examples from that experience in your interview.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

Original post by Sayfi
Hi Melissa, I know this is quite irrelevant but do you know anything about the interview process etc. for the Cardiac Physiology course?

Thanks
Reply 11
Hi Sayfi,

I don't know much about that course as I am only the ambassador for undergrad nursing courses.

But what I would suggest you do is become familiar with any recent articles/pieces of news around the subject and research a little bit into what the course entails as you are most likely to be asked about this. And just prepare yourself for questions like why you chose to study the course, and what interests you about it. Also if you have any experience working within cardiology don't be afraid to use that and draw examples from that experience in your interview.

Hope this helps.

Melissa

Thanks
Original post by Sayfi

Thanks

Hello. Well I recently finished and graduated with a Cardiac Physiology degree at MDX. Well at the interview they will ask you: Why do you want to study this degree? Why chose this university? They will give you scenarios to do with patients who have cardiac related diseases and ask you if you would treat them and why? - Something like that, I cannot remember exactly but it was over 3 years ago when I had my interview. Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by vanessa_nicole
Hello. Well I recently finished and graduated with a Cardiac Physiology degree at MDX. Well at the interview they will ask you: Why do you want to study this degree? Why chose this university? They will give you scenarios to do with patients who have cardiac related diseases and ask you if you would treat them and why? - Something like that, I cannot remember exactly but it was over 3 years ago when I had my interview. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thank you, what other unis did you apply to? and big is the step up from A-Levels?
Thanks again
Original post by Sayfi
Thank you, what other unis did you apply to? and big is the step up from A-Levels?
Thanks again

Well at that time, I wanted to do a Physiotherapy degree so all the other universities were based in London and MDX was my only Cardiac Physiology subject. It turned out to be my firm choice as I decided that I enjoyed learning about the heart in GCSEs and therefore chose it to study at I university.
To be honest, it did not feel like a big step up from A-Levels, as the 1st year was basic and they help you with anatomy and physiology. However, it is best if you try to get your head around the Harvard Referencing in 1st year, so then it will be easier to use in years 2 and 3 for assignments and your dissertation. Overall, I thought it was an alright degree, I really enjoyed the placement - performing ECGs, Exercise Tolerance Tests, Catheterisation Tests and Pacemaker Programming.

So, what made you choose Cardiac Physiology as a university degree? - If you don't mind me asking.
Reply 15
Well at that time, I wanted to do a Physiotherapy degree so all the other universities were based in London and MDX was my only Cardiac Physiology subject. It turned out to be my firm choice as I decided that I enjoyed learning about the heart in GCSEs and therefore chose it to study at I university.
To be honest, it did not feel like a big step up from A-Levels, as the 1st year was basic and they help you with anatomy and physiology. However, it is best if you try to get your head around the Harvard Referencing in 1st year, so then it will be easier to use in years 2 and 3 for assignments and your dissertation. Overall, I thought it was an alright degree, I really enjoyed the placement - performing ECGs, Exercise Tolerance Tests, Catheterisation Tests and Pacemaker Programming.

So, what made you choose Cardiac Physiology as a university degree? - If you don't mind me asking.

I have a passion for helping people and saving lives, i would like to combine my
fascination of the heart and provision of healthcare.
Original post by Sayfi
I have a passion for helping people and saving lives, i would like to combine my
fascination of the heart and provision of healthcare.

Just to let you know, that in the interview, they may ask: where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Well good luck in the interviews and hopefully you'll get into your firm choice. :smile:
Reply 17
Just to let you know, that in the interview, they may ask: where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Well good luck in the interviews and hopefully you'll get into your firm choice. :smile:

Thank you
Just to add, they are likely to ask you why you want to study the course. I wouldn't just say about wanting to help people. Thats what everyone says and not really what they want to hear, and you won't stand out with that. Really think about that answer before your interview so you are properly prepared to make a unique impression.

Original post by Sayfi
Thank you
Reply 19
Just to add, they are likely to ask you why you want to study the course. I wouldn't just say about wanting to help people. Thats what everyone says and not really what they want to hear, and you won't stand out with that. Really think about that answer before your interview so you are properly prepared to make a unique impression.

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending