The Student Room Group

Need uni advice- Muslims only

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will'o'wisp
So OP wanted to be do something haram then?
"For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only."

Agreed it's ridiculous and silly beliefs like these, the point is that faith overrules logic and we globalise stupid things like this. I refuse to accept idiot proposals and refusal to work with someone else because of faith. I'd rater have logic and reason then some blind faith.

Op was just being ridiculous idk what's going on in her head but it's possible she wanted to who knows aha

Those are choices individuals make because of how they interpret some things the religion says but in reality it's fine lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by azizadil1998
Op was just being ridiculous idk what's going on in her head but it's possible she wanted to who knows aha

Those are choices individuals make because of how they interpret some things the religion says but in reality it's fine lol

I guess, just don't argue and push your ideas and spread your religion onto me :biggrin:
Why you even at uni if you don't want to work with other people lol. Get over yourself. Don't care if I'm not Muslim I'll still express my opinion on how naive and stupid you're being.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are so immature it's unreal. It's literally for educational purposes that you have to work with a guy. It's not like you two will be making out is it?
Original post by Anonymous
Salam sister,
Maybe drop out of uni and enroll in a all female uni/course?
Or an online course? Theyre cheaper, and are not a mixed environment.
That way you can avoid fitnah
If you dont want to, then I guess you have to accept how things are in a non-Muslim country: university are mixed, and that's how they are unfortunately.
You cant force segregation in universities- it's against he law unfortunately- just gotta do what you gotta do
Regards with ruling- some schools of thought allow mixing and talking in group chats if it's strictly for education - also as long as youre not by yourself with a male, always in a group - then its fine really

Do what you feel is comfortable in your heart- ask Allah for guidance

Wtaf did I just read. You want her to give up her education just because of one guy?You need serious help. It's people like you who make me worry.

And what the hell do you think will happen if she's alone with a male? Sex?
Coming from a Muslim - you should seek advice and help from scholars, or people with higher knowledge than, well, random people on a TSR forum - you are more likely to get better (and accurate) answers in terms of rulings on this and that etc.

I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK
Huh? I can understand if it was sharing an accomodation but this is literally just group work. I am pretty sure Islam isn't against that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
Huh? I can understand if it was sharing an accomodation but this is literally just group work. I am pretty sure Islam isn't against that?

It literally gobsmacks me at how some backward some of these posters are. Women are going to have to interact with men in life and if some of these posters really don't like it then I don't get why they haven't left the West for the Middle East or another Muslim country..
I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK

Assalam alaikum,
Working with men is not necessarily haram but it is makruh (not preferable). If it is absolutely necessary for you to work with him and there is no way to change to an all-girl group then maybe you should consider working with him but make sure that you only talk about the work. As for phone numbers, I would absolutely advise against doing so. It could lead to you talking to him about things other than work and it might cause you to develop a friendship with him. I think it would be better to get the necessary information for the project from the girls and ask them to ask the guy what you need to know.
i think we should respect her beliefs but honestly OP should have known group work like this would come up and therefore made a good decision on what university to go to...she could have gone to a girls university....(then again i don't even know of any in the uk)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meet up as a group and that too in a public area? Remember it is prohibited for a non-mahram male and female to be together alone.
And don't give your whatsapp number, you can complete the project without dw. Your friend can keep you updated or ask you to do anything.
Original post by bubblegumcat
i think we should respect her beliefs but honestly OP should have known group work like this would come up and therefore made a good decision on what university to go to...she could have gone to a girls university....(then again i don't even know of any in the uk)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't think of any apart from some all girls college at Cambridge University.
But surely it's halal if there are more than two people present (e.g. two girls and one guy discussing the work)?
But surely it's halal if there are more than two people present (e.g. two girls and one guy discussing the work)?

It's can be halal but it can lead to haram activities happening. It is preferred to avoid situations like this which can lead to the girl becoming friends with the guy.
Salam sister,
Maybe drop out of uni and enroll in a all female uni/course?
Or an online course? Theyre cheaper, and are not a mixed environment.
That way you can avoid fitnah
If you dont want to, then I guess you have to accept how things are in a non-Muslim country: university are mixed, and that's how they are unfortunately.
You cant force segregation in universities- it's against he law unfortunately- just gotta do what you gotta do
Regards with ruling- some schools of thought allow mixing and talking in group chats if it's strictly for education - also as long as youre not by yourself with a male, always in a group - then its fine really

Do what you feel is comfortable in your heart- ask Allah for guidance

Wasalam

I wish but unfortunately that's not an option now.

JZK I will do.

Thanks a lot for this, it's great advice.

I clearly respect that its her views....and its fine. She didn't say she wont....she just wanted to make sure she isn't doing anything wrong...im sure questioning ourself if were doing something wrong is a good thing...

In the UK we all have to work with the opposite gender, in some shape or form. aslong as we keep our intention clean....you will be okay. My suggestion is, if your not comfortable, then maybe have someone around you who you may know?

I don't think its fair to sort of be cold towards the guy, as its not his fault.

Hope that helps

Yes I feel bad, but there's nothing else I can do.

Original post by Yusufff
Coming from a Muslim - you should seek advice and help from scholars, or people with higher knowledge than, well, random people on a TSR forum - you are more likely to get better (and accurate) answers in terms of rulings on this and that etc.

Yes true, but a lot of Muslims have been to uni here, so I wanted to know how they dealt with it.

Original post by BigTraderBoi
Assalam alaikum,
Working with men is not necessarily haram but it is makruh (not preferable). If it is absolutely necessary for you to work with him and there is no way to change to an all-girl group then maybe you should consider working with him but make sure that you only talk about the work. As for phone numbers, I would absolutely advise against doing so. It could lead to you talking to him about things other than work and it might cause you to develop a friendship with him. I think it would be better to get the necessary information for the project from the girls and ask them to ask the guy what you need to know.

Wasalam.
JZK for your response, I agree with everything.
The other girls are Muslims too.

Meet up as a group and that too in a public area? Remember it is prohibited for a non-mahram male and female to be together alone.
And don't give your whatsapp number, you can complete the project without dw. Your friend can keep you updated or ask you to do anything.

JZK for the reminder.
I won't do, I assure you.
To all those I've quoted- JZK for your help.
The rest I've ignored lol
Surprisingly I've never been in this situation before so needed to clarify some stuff.
I've got want I wanted, may Allah bless you.

Wasalam.
JZK for your response, I agree with everything.
The other girls are Muslims too.

Is it possible to ask the guy if he is fine with moving to another group? Explain the situation to him and why you would prefer to work with girls. If it's not possible, carry on with the project but try to avoid contact with him when it is not necessary.
Is it possible to ask the guy if he is fine with moving to another group? Explain the situation to him and why you would prefer to work with girls. If it's not possible, carry on with the project but try to avoid contact with him when it is not necessary.

I hope he tells her in no uncertain terms how things work here if she does have the audacity to ask him such a question.
I dont know why your telling 'islam haters' to move off the post when im actually offended its 'Muslims only' what a way to spread equality :smile:

Unfortunately the teacher set the groups.
Dw I know how to deal with it now, will keep everything in mind.
Salam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending