The Student Room Group

Need uni advice- Muslims only

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It literally gobsmacks me at how some backward some of these posters are. Women are going to have to interact with men in life and if some of these posters really don't like it then I don't get why they haven't left the West for the Middle East or another Muslim country..

Loool, you are right, but you know how tsr is...before they start acussing us for being islamophobic.
Original post by Anonymous
I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK

Yeah I am a Muslim here.

There really is nothing wrong here with working and talking to the boys etc in your group for the project. Islam basically doesn't like it when a guy and a girl are alone because in many cases it can lead to things. Yes of course, that is very extreme and I (as a guy) talk to girls as much as anyone else but as long as you know you are not doing anything wrong then that is absolutely fine.

WhatsApp group etc are fine also. Nothing wrong with that!!!

I understand your concern but these things are really small and make hardly any difference. So long as your intention is right and you are working to communicate about the project and not because for example you want the guys to 'like' you then great.

Hope that was of help but don't need to take these small things too seriously. Like I say, it's the intention.
King James I of the Puritan Sect approves, m'lady.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Wtaf did I just read. You want her to give up her education just because of one guy?You need serious help. It's people like you who make me worry.

And what the hell do you think will happen if she's alone with a male? Sex?

To be fair she clearly posesses a lack of critical thinking ability which makes her entirely unsuitable to be at university.
Original post by Robby2312
To be fair she clearly posesses a lack of critical thinking ability which makes her entirely unsuitable to be at university.

What the fudge was she even thinking.. Might as well have ditched uni completely. I showed one of my Muslims friends this and she laughed.
Wouldnt you think there was a possibility that there would be males on your course and that at some stage you might have to interact with them? Unless it was an all female university, then how on earth would you expect to complete a degree?
Omg obvs you can have a group chat just coz he is a male doesn't mean youll fall prepnant
you must lack some maturity, self control and with all due respect, intelligence, if you cannot handle developing a presentation by putting yourself in real world experiences of collaboration and communication with members of the opposite gender (a life skill required, especially in workplaces).

you're not performing an orgy/makeout session with that male person of your group, nor (given your beliefs) will seek to engage in an orgy/makeout session with that male member of your group.

you're merely tasked to collaborate and communicate with the people of your group (including a male person) in developing a presentation, that's it. If you can't do this and lack maturity and self control when with the opposite sex, then I'm not sure what can be done, though you might want to look into gender segregated educational schools, preferably Islamic ones, that don't have tensions with the UK government and law.

This is what happens with gender segregation, it makes every non-sexual encounter sexual and creates people incapable of harmless interaction with the opposite gender, without acting all awkward, inexperienced and immature, stopping progress (in this case an educational presentation).
Original post by 999tigger
Wouldnt you think there was a possibility that there would be males on your course and that at some stage you might have to interact with them? Unless it was an all female university, then how on earth would you expect to complete a degree?

It might be a troll post to make Muslims look bad.
It might be a troll post to make Muslims look bad.

Possibly. I can imagine the furore if someone had written the opposite about having a muslim student in their study group. Whilst I accept people have their religion, surely these barriers would have been thought about long before a person accepted their place. Its still a British university and they should only go so far in accommodating people.

Ive read the thread and seen plenty of obviously common sense answers and explanations. If the OP feels her religion will not allow any of those, then maybe open university or a muslim university abroad would be a better choice. Why couldnt she just use a temp e-mail account or one of those shared workplace things online?

If you cant work together properly as a group then both their work will suffer. Not something I would put up with.
Hey, I'm Muslim and if you feel uncomfortable with meeting up then don't. Just make up a valid excuse. Also in regards to the WhatsApp chat, keep it 100% professional and if you don't feel comfortable with giving away your number, ask if you could have other methods of communication instead.

As long as you keep it professional, there is no problem working with guys. However, if you feel that fitnah will arise because of it it's best to stay away. Me personally as a male, I see no problem working with the opposite sex, however everyone has their views and are different people :smile:.

Have a good day and good luck on your presentation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
I hope he tells her in no uncertain terms how things work here if she does have the audacity to ask him such a question.

I would hope he doesn't react in such a way.
OP may have androphobia arising from her religion's rules on gender segregation.
I would like a response from Muslims only, preferably practising ones.
Islam haters remove yourself please before a mod has to, thanks.

So I have a group project coming up. There's a couple of girls involved and one guy (non Muslim). For obvious reasons I don't like working with guys and if it was my choice I would work with girls only. Unfortunately that's not possible now.

He has emailed now saying to meet up and discuss ideas for our presentation.
I think this is pretty much unavoidable. I know my limits, but I want to know what other things should I avoid?
Also if the topic of WhatsApp comes up and forming a group chat, what's the ruling on this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

JZK

Only think I'd avoid is giving out my number... Maybe use email instead this would help you avoid chit chat - if that's what you want. Or just say I'm not allowed to give my number out. This usually works and most people are sympathetic. I use Facebook for that sort of stuff and use WhatsApp for personal friends. Or you can control yourself and make sure the topic of conversation is strictly related to your project. I would just be cautious about giving my number out.
She did clearly say she knows whta to do peopleee. Leave her alone now and leave the useless comments
Reply 75
Original post by DeclanThatcher
I dont know why your telling 'islam haters' to move off the post when im actually offended its 'Muslims only' what a way to spread equality :smile:
Don't blame her. After all, it is her god who said that disbelievers are "the vilest of creatures", and it's not like she can ignore him.
Why don't you re-evaluate your life, you are the one who thinks muslims believe in a 'made up man in the sky', muslims believe in God.

God is a made up man in the sky
Original post by richardhello
God is a made up man in the sky

Man - An adult human male
God - The creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

You get what I mean?
Original post by will'o'wisp
I guess, just don't argue and push your ideas and spread your religion onto me :biggrin:

How am I doing that...?? WTF LOL
Original post by azizadil1998
How am I doing that...?? WTF LOL

Not you xD

The OP :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending