The Student Room Group

What's he keeping me around for?

I've been with my boyfriend since July 2016 and feel like the relationship isn't going anywhere.

This "relationship" ...I feel like I'm not even in one because we only see eachother on weekends he hardly takes me out on dates anymore we just mainly stay home and watch movies now.

-He says he has a hard time opening up to me.
- we haven't said I loves you
- I feel no bond with him
- he says he likes me more than I like him
- he puts in all the effort
- I can go on days without seeing or talking to him and I won't miss him

Everytime I initiate a breakup, he doesn't get it. He pretends like I never even said anything. One time I broke up with him in person and he chased me around not letting me go home, people in public got scared for me, he's gotten physical where he pushed on the ground because he didn't want me to leave his house, slams and breaks stuff when we have a little disagreement. The last time I tried breaking up with him at his house in person he got up walked away so I couldn't even have that convo with him.

Question is... This relationship isn't going anywhere, I haven't done anything for him really, why is it so hard for him to accept a break up. He can get girls, he was just in a relationship 7 months before me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by okey
PU$$Y

He can get pussy anytime anywhere.
I mean is that enough reason to keep up with a relationship.
Reply 2
I would like to add that we NEVER have deep conversations.
If you attempt the talk again, leave and then cut contact as best you can he should get the message, if he causes trouble you maaaaayyyyy have to ring the police because he low key sounds like an unstable mess

He probably can't accept a break up because he's low key insane tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you attempt the talk again, leave and then cut contact as best you can he should get the message, if he causes trouble you maaaaayyyyy have to ring the police because he low key sounds like an unstable mess

He probably can't accept a break up because he's low key insane tbh

Whats this insanity classed as?
I don't believe he's insane, He's mentally unstable however. I think that he's acting this way because he's been hurt before and doen't want to experience it again. He hasn't opened up to you because the last time he did that he got hurt.
Original post by Anonymous
Whats this insanity classed as?

i am not a psychologist i am a judgemental person with opinions

but it's very worrying that you want to break up with him but seem to be physically unable to do so.
Reply 7
Original post by Dominator1
I don't believe he's insane, He's mentally unstable however. I think that he's acting this way because he's been hurt before and doen't want to experience it again. He hasn't opened up to you because the last time he did that he got hurt.

Experience what another break up?

His ex did f him up but I haven't done anything like that to him, just this relationship isn't getting anywhere I'm not happy and I don't even feel like we are in a relationship, I don't know what he's trying to hold on to? Or why this would even be difficult for him.
Reply 8
Original post by Retired_Messiah
i am not a psychologist i am a judgemental person with opinions

but it's very worrying that you want to break up with him but seem to be physically unable to do so.

The last time I tried to, I told him I don't feel like we're in a relationship and a break up was about to be mentioned he got up, and went to bed. Came back out a couple mins later, like nothing ever happened and just told me to come to be because I wanted to sleep on the sofa. Then continued to say we're gonna be together forever ( something along those lines) and when I gave him a wtf face he was like " well if you have no faith with us then..." He was going to say there's no point but its like he cannot accept that this relationship is crap!
Experience what another break up?

His ex did f him up but I haven't done anything like that to him, just this relationship isn't getting anywhere I'm not happy and I don't even feel like we are in a relationship, I don't know what he's trying to hold on to? Or why this would even be difficult for him.

I feel like you just scanned what I wrote. He's doing what he's doing because he doesn't want to get hurt again (ie break up). And the last time he opened to someone he got "f*cked up" he doesn't want to experience that again so he's not opening up to you.
The last time I tried to, I told him I don't feel like we're in a relationship and a break up was about to be mentioned he got up, and went to bed. Came back out a couple mins later, like nothing ever happened and just told me to come to be because I wanted to sleep on the sofa. Then continued to say we're gonna be together forever ( something along those lines) and when I gave him a wtf face he was like " well if you have no faith with us then..." He was going to say there's no point but its like he cannot accept that this relationship is crap!

Walk out. Just go. If the words do not work for him then action is required.
I've been with my boyfriend since July 2016 and feel like the relationship isn't going anywhere.

This "relationship" ...I feel like I'm not even in one because we only see eachother on weekends he hardly takes me out on dates anymore we just mainly stay home and watch movies now.

-He says he has a hard time opening up to me.
- we haven't said I loves you
- I feel no bond with him
- he says he likes me more than I like him
- he puts in all the effort
- I can go on days without seeing or talking to him and I won't miss him

Everytime I initiate a breakup, he doesn't get it. He pretends like I never even said anything. One time I broke up with him in person and he chased me around not letting me go home, people in public got scared for me, he's gotten physical where he pushed on the ground because he didn't want me to leave his house, slams and breaks stuff when we have a little disagreement. The last time I tried breaking up with him at his house in person he got up walked away so I couldn't even have that convo with him.

Question is... This relationship isn't going anywhere, I haven't done anything for him really, why is it so hard for him to accept a break up. He can get girls, he was just in a relationship 7 months before me?

You dont give any information on ages.

He sounds quite difficult. Clearly its not working for you. He sounds a bit emotionally stunted and you arent interested. Just phone him and tell him it isnt working out for you and that youve given it a lot of thought and decided to break up. Normally I prefer face to face, but he sounds a bit unstable. Ask him not to come round to your house and if he does get your father to deal with him and ask him to leave.

You might wish to inform your muual friends you have split as well.
Sounds like a **** relationship.

A guy who hurts his own girlfriend clearly needs serious help. :0
Original post by stefano865
Sounds like a **** relationship.

A guy who hurts his own girlfriend clearly needs serious help. :0

It is ****, he's told me I don't act like a gf so idk what he's holding on to.
It is ****, he's told me I don't act like a gf so idk what he's holding on to.

The regular sex I would reckon.

Perhaps you are gifted. :tongue:
The regular sex I would reckon.

Perhaps you are gifted.

Guys will stay with a girl just because of that?
Guys will stay with a girl just because of that?

Yep almost certainly.
Yep almost certainly.

Lmao that's desperate
Lmao that's desperate

Would agree.

But maybe you give the best BJs in England. Who knows.
Would agree.

But maybe you give the best BJs in England. Who knows.

Well I can't say the same for him, even so that wouldn't be enough for me to stay!

Quick Reply

Latest