The Student Room Group

Stuff tax £s up Nissan's backside to keep 'em from leaving - way to save the economy!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CherishFreedom
The article did not imply that in any way.

Also the UK government did not give Nissan any 'inducement'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37795464
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37815864

The article did not imply that in any way.

Also the UK government did not give Nissan any 'inducement'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37795464
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37815864

So you have seen the letter the government sent Nissan about what they will do to make them stay in Britain.
Original post by Drewski
It is worth noting that the only reason Airbus operates it's A320 final assembly line in Hamburg because the German government and the EU gives them loans and guarantees.

When another government does this its, of course, completely fine.
When the British government does this it is, of course, a sign of corruption and desperation.

And East Asian governments have also done this for years.

What it really exposes is the fallacy of the "Washington consensus" that "the free market is always best" and "government should just step out of the way".

I wonder what would happen if the UK government allowed "market forces" to determine investment in the UK post-Brexit.
Original post by Good bloke
Brexit is a major threat to the German economy, you mean. With 10% tariffs and a 20% devalued pound BMW, Bosch, VW-Audi and the like must be quaking in their boots at the thought of Britain leaving the EU and seeing their market go up in smoke, while British goods hitting the German market are a net 10% cheaper.

Here's my prediction: The EU will decline to give Britain access to the single market without free movement; Britain will go its own way; Britain will implement a 10% corporation tax rate and screw the EU.

I don't think so.

The banks will move to Europe, companies will move to Europe, people will move themselves and their money to Europe. Those who are left will contend with massive rises in their shopping basket, rent, and anything else they have to buy. Marmite & tea is just the beginning.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
And East Asian governments have also done this for years.

What it really exposes is the fallacy of the "Washington consensus" that "the free market is always best" and "government should just step out of the way".

I wonder what would happen if the UK government allowed "market forces" to determine investment in the UK post-Brexit.

Boeing gets massive subsidies from the US government in order to compete with Airbus. The rhetoric of US politicians has rarely matched the reality.
Original post by pmcroducer
Wow. Part of me wants to embarass you here and now, part of me remembers you're a troll

As if you ever could with your little Brexiter brain :biggrin:

Original post by pmcroducer
Don't quote me again, lets never interact. Please.

I'd say the same, given how I destroyed your points. Tail between legs much?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/31/nissan-assurances-over-brexit-cannot-be-published-says-business-secretary

'That was the stark warning from Haruki Hayashi, president of the Japanese chambers of commerce in Britain and the European CEO of Mitsubishi, who said businesses needed more than “general reassurances” if his country’s investment presence in Britain was to be maintained.

[...]

“I cannot speak on behalf of each individual member of the chamber but the message coming through loud and clear is that more than general reassurances are called for at this stage to ensure that the Japanese investment presence in the UK is not diminished for lack of consultation and information sharing.”

Ahhh, this is wonderful. Britain turning into a banana republic who needs to pay off foreign companies not to leave. Laughing stock of Europe!
Reply 46
Original post by Drewski
You know, if you're only going to use sources that are a month old you're going to be left looking pretty desperate:

A story from today, as opposed to one from Sep 30

When we do finally cut off ties does that mean you'll piss off?
"No cheque book", says politician.
Durr, ok then!

Remember that it was the terminally credulous believeing the obvious lies of politicians that got us into this problem in the first place?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/30/nissans-post-brexit-deal-could-lead-to-colossal-bills-for-taxpayers

"Nissan was convinced to stay in the UK with a promise of no tariffs or extra bureaucratic burdens on the car industry after Brexit, the business secretary has finally revealed, prompting fears that sector-by-sector deals could cost the taxpayer “colossal amounts of money”.

Greg Clark caved in after four days of pressure in an interview on Sunday to reveal some details of how the government convinced the Japanese manufacturer to produce a fleet of new vehicles at its Sunderland plant. The Tory minister said he wrote to Nissan with a series of four assurances as he went “all out” to allay concerns about Brexit, [...]."

End of thread. Definitely stuffing up tax pounds up Nissan's backside.
Original post by QE2
Durr, ok then!

Remember that it was the terminally credulous believeing the obvious lies of politicians that got us into this problem in the first place?

Give him a break, it's @Drewski, he believes everything pro-Brexit politicians say! And why would a mountain of evidence that the economy is tanking make him doubt that?!
Original post by QE2
Durr, ok then!

So you'll blindly believe news reports saying one thing, but not the other?

...ok then. Says far more about you than me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Drewski
So you'll blindly believe news reports saying one thing, but not the other?

...ok then. Says far more about you than me.
It has nothing to do with news reports. It is a simple matter of the evidence from the track record of such deals, and the mendacity of politicians. Even without the head of Nissan saying that he had recieved guarantees from the government in return for massive investment, I would assume that they had been given. All you have to do is look at motive, interest and benefit. It's really not that difficult.
Original post by Maker
So you have seen the letter the government sent Nissan about what they will do to make them stay in Britain.

It does not involve any financial assistance to Nissan, as stated on the article I linked. Since we both don't know the exact nature of the promise, it would be premature for you to say that 'inducements' were given to Nissan which is why I say you are making an assumption.

Why can't you just be happy that they are putting faith in the UK?

Does it only satisfy you when the UK has to pay them to stay, just to prove your point?
It does not involve any financial assistance to Nissan, as stated on the article I linked.

Of course there is financial assistance - just not in cash, and not right away. What else is the 'promise of no tariffs'? He just didn't open his cheque book on the day.

Does it only satisfy you when the UK has to pay them to stay, just to prove your point?

Yeah. And I am pretty satisfied, since exactly that is happening.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
Of course there is financial assistance - just not in cash, and not right away. What else is the 'promise of no tariffs'? He just didn't open his cheque book on the day.

Yeah. And I am pretty satisfied, since exactly that is happening.

So TitanicTeutonicPhil assumed something and we must believe it. Very convincing.

Yes our economy is so bad we just grew 0.5% Q3, manufacturing PMI at 53.4 just today.

Yes we are totally paying Nissan, even though the government just denied that publicly.

I mean, just keep making your assumptions. Because they must be true right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
I'd rather have the Government pay Nissan and Toyota to stay in the UK than have our industry dominated by atrocious French cars.
So TitanicTeutonicPhil assumed something and we must believe it. Very convincing.

No, because Greg Clark admitted it. He didn't open his cheque book (which is what he said previously, and which you are referring to) but he now admitted that he government did make other assurances which equate to financial contributions.

Yes our economy is so bad we just grew 0.5% Q3, manufacturing PMI at 53.4 just today.

You know, you should really read all the posts in a thread you're commenting in in order to not like an complete idiot. This is what I wrote earlier:

- Growth was down in the three months after the vote - and it's only at the measly level that it's at because the Bank of England -in pure desperation- has dropped interest rates in August, and said it might drop again soon
- Confidence in the small business sector is down
- Financial services -your biggest and only major industry- are starting to relocate
- The Pound is massively down, jacking up raw material, parts, and consumer prices which will soon hit through on consumer spending
- OECD just cut its forecast for UK economic growth IN HALF for next year
- FTSE rally is driven only by stocks of international, diversified corporations who will feel the impact from Brexit less and whose shares can be bought for cheap now thanks to your collapsed currency. Britain-focused companies aren't even up
- Unemployment is up

Yes we are totally paying Nissan, even though the government just denied that publicly.

... and then admitted it. Keep up with the news, son!

Just reinforces the reasons why so many voted Leave. It's so absurd to insist that free trade must also come with free movement. I understand you're putting this point across to show that EU leaders have a hardline stance, but out of interest do you agree with this? Do you think free trade should also entail free movement?
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
No, because Greg Clark admitted it. He didn't open his cheque book (which is what he said previously, and which you are referring to) but he now admitted that he government did make other assurances which equate to financial contributions.

You know, you should really read all the posts in a thread you're commenting in in order to not like an complete idiot. This is what I wrote earlier:

- Growth was down in the three months after the vote - and it's only at the measly level that it's at because the Bank of England -in pure desperation- has dropped interest rates in August, and said it might drop again soon
- Confidence in the small business sector is down
- Financial services -your biggest and only major industry- are starting to relocate
- The Pound is massively down, jacking up raw material, parts, and consumer prices which will soon hit through on consumer spending
- OECD just cut its forecast for UK economic growth IN HALF for next year
- FTSE rally is driven only by stocks of international, diversified corporations who will feel the impact from Brexit less and whose shares can be bought for cheap now thanks to your collapsed currency. Britain-focused companies aren't even up
- Unemployment is up

... and then admitted it. Keep up with the news, son!

Then I can say we live in a time when TitanicTeutonicPhil's opinion clearly is more important than official government sources saying otherwise.

Growth had been sluggish across the EU and the World, especially China, compared to same period last year. Q3 growth of 0.5% is actually higher than most EU countries. Also not sure you know how stock markets work, they self regulate. It is by no means cheap at this current level, if it is indeed cheap then it would adjust to it in an instant, anything else would just be your assumption.

There is also no evidence that Financial Services industry is relocating. You are taking the words of a few trade associations bosses and trying to spin it into fact. They said many things before the referendum which are proved false now.

As for enemployment - 'The total number of people in jobs remained at a record high of 31.8 million, the ONS figures showed. Although there was a "small rise" in unemployment, it was accompanied by more people actively seeking work, ONS statistician Nick Palmer said. Some of that rise came from more women looking for work. In the three months to August, 73.4% of women were either in work or seeking jobs, the highest rate since records began in 1971, the ONS said.'

There are actually a record number of people in work. It's just that more people are now actively seeking work when they previously weren't, also a good thing to our economy.

Business confidence is high and exceeding pre-referendum level, with a current upward trajectory:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/31/business-confidence-hits-post-referendum-highs-as-uk-economy-hol/

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-business-confidence-back-pre-brexit-level-1585232

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/14834288.Business_confidence_grows_according_to_latest_CBI_survey/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Luneth
I'd rather have the Government pay Nissan and Toyota to stay in the UK than have our industry dominated by atrocious French cars.

Thats funny considering Nissan is partly owned by Renault in which the French government has a sizeable stake.
Reply 59
It does not involve any financial assistance to Nissan, as stated on the article I linked. Since we both don't know the exact nature of the promise, it would be premature for you to say that 'inducements' were given to Nissan which is why I say you are making an assumption.

Why can't you just be happy that they are putting faith in the UK?

You seem to be happy Britain has got itself in such a weak position it has to pay foreign companies to stay in the country.

As to what made Nissan stay in the country, Nissan has insisted it get compensation if Brexit adversely affected their business and I think it safe to assume that is what they got.

The problem now is all other companies will want the same which means Britain could end up paying billions to companies if their businesses are affected by Brexit. This gives extra ammunition to EU negotiators who will use it to leverage a better deal from Britain.

Quick Reply

Latest